• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Does 3DS play GBA games?

User Info: MiIkMan

MiIkMan
1 year ago#1
I know DS had a slot for GBA games. Is 3DS, or 2DSXL (the version I'd be interested in) also play GBA games?

And while I'm asking, I might as well make sure 2DSXL plays DS games. Does it?

User Info: Workhorse23

Workhorse23
1 year ago#2
3DS or 2DS does not have a cartridge slot for GBA games, although you CAN play DS games on them.

You can find a used DS lite for pretty cheap on eBay which is what I did so I can play GBA cartridges.

User Info: regirafariger

regirafariger
1 year ago#3
The complete summary: DS Original (often called DS "Phat") and DS Lite had the GBA slot. DSi and DSi XL did not, and could therefore not play them. Everything in the 3DS family (3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, "new" 3DS, "new" 3DS XL, and "new" 2DS XL) all play DS games but none has the GBA slot. So to play GBA games on anything newer than an actual GBA, it's only those first two models of DS.

One of the main reasons to get a DS Lite is if you happen to be a Pokemon person, because the gen 3 GBA Pokemon games can interface with the gen 4 DS Pokemon games and gen 3 things can be imported into gen 4 games. You just need a gen 3 GBA game in the DS Lite's GBA slot at the same time you have a gen 4 DS one in the main DS slot, and as long as the gen 4 one is in the postgame and has access to the ingame transfer facility, Bob's your uncle.
featuring Grogu and Man DeLorean and their flux capacitor!

User Info: MiIkMan

MiIkMan
1 year ago#4
Bummer. I have an original DS Phat but, I don't know, thought it would be cool to play it all on one system.

Thanks for the info, dudes.

User Info: tropthecondor

tropthecondor
1 year ago#5
Technically the 3DS still has the parts from the DS that allow it to play GBA games natively its just lacking the cartridge reader. There's a recent thread on this board that goes into more detail about it but unfortunately the only way to make GBA games work is through custom firmware.

User Info: Sashanan

Sashanan
1 year ago#6
I keep a DSLite around (my second, first one snapped a hinge much like my first 3DS did) purely for the fact that it has a GBA slot and I have a GBA backlog.

I still do, of course, but at least now I can tell myself I could work on it. But I've played through Riviera and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones on it, so that's something.
A gentleman will walk, but never run

User Info: div85

div85
1 year ago#7
tropthecondor posted...
Technically the 3DS still has the parts from the DS that allow it to play GBA games natively its just lacking the cartridge reader. There's a recent thread on this board that goes into more detail about it but unfortunately the only way to make GBA games work is through custom firmware.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/9/5/6/AAZ9h8AAAyxU.jpg

User Info: Artillatron8

Artillatron8
1 year ago#8
MiIkMan posted...
Bummer. I have an original DS Phat but, I don't know, thought it would be cool to play it all on one system.

Thanks for the info, dudes.
Technically the new 2ds xl can play gba games. But you have to do "stuff" to the system first. Totally worth it in my opinion.

User Info: iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme
1 year ago#9
Does the 3ds play gba games? Not officially

User Info: TLR_

TLR_
1 year ago#10
div85 posted...
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/9/5/6/AAZ9h8AAAyxU.jpg
Seriously. It's so easy and SO REWARDING. Having my 3DS just be a NES, GB/GBC, SNES and GBA while also still being able to play my legal DS/3DS games is insanely neat. It's so awesome that it made me quit halfway into a GB Macro build.
My Game Collection/Backlog (Incomplete!): https://howlongtobeat.com/user?n=BishopTakesKing
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Does 3DS play GBA games?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A