You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Are Pokemon Art Academy and Detective Pikachu worth it?

User Info: KingKilvas

KingKilvas
4 weeks ago#1
I just watched Detective Pikachu yesterday and I enjoyed it. It made me want to play some more Pokemon games. I have all the main 3DS Pokemon games, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to pick up the Detective Pikachu game and Pokemon Art Academy at some point.

Would these games be worth picking up? Or am I better off just waiting for Sword/Shield?
Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya! Nothin's quenchier! It's the quenchiest!

User Info: Miu_san

Miu_san
4 weeks ago#2
it'd just be more of the same. consider mystery dungeon?

User Info: gatsbyy

gatsbyy
4 weeks ago#3
KingKilvas posted...
I just watched Detective Pikachu yesterday and I enjoyed it. It made me want to play some more Pokemon games. I have all the main 3DS Pokemon games, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to pick up the Detective Pikachu game and Pokemon Art Academy at some point.

Would these games be worth picking up? Or am I better off just waiting for Sword/Shield?

Isn’t Sword and Shield Switch only?

User Info: MrNintendo

MrNintendo
4 weeks ago#4
Detective Pikachu (the game) is worthless trash. It is the most boring bare bones game I've ever played

Can't speak on Art Academy, I assume it just depends if you're into that sort of things.
Skull Kids biggest supporter for Smash Ultimate!
Switch Friend code SW-1447-3440-8035 (KIRBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
4 weeks ago#5
Miu_san posted...
it'd just be more of the same. consider mystery dungeon?

I don't know how a detective game or an art game would be more of the same when comparing it to Pokemon. That being said, if you feel like playing a detective game or an art game, that's what you'd be getting.

I'm playing through Detective Pikachu, and it's simple and cute. I'm enjoying it so far. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hear the plot is very similar, so take that into account. There's a free demo on the eShop if you want to try it though.
A friend of mine enjoyed Pokemon Art Academy for a bit. It's basically tutorials on drawing various Pokemon. There might be a demo; I don't know. I know that Swapdoodle is free to start, and there are some doodle lessons to download that are basically mini Art Academy lessons, so you could see how that tickles your fancy.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

User Info: desuno-to

desuno-to
4 days ago#6
I have Poke Art Academy and found it helpful seeing as I have zero artistic ability. It's also helpful for photoshop novices too as it goes through various tools.

It was much better when miiverse was around though, since you could post your work and then download it easily to your computer.
The difference a letter makes:
"i'm with tc about this" - "watashi mo onani desu"

User Info: retcon_canon

retcon_canon
4 days ago#7
I think the short answer is: no.

Just wait for Gen 8.
IGN: Syzygy FC: 2166-0623-3880

User Info: Adam_Ace

Adam_Ace
4 days ago#8
Actually I think Pokemon Art Academy is an oddly good buy.

As someone who sucks at the amazing Fan Art you can see in the community I actually really appreciate what Art Academy and honestly as a collectors piece it's surprisingly pricey for what you'd expect from an Art Academy game. As for Detective Pikachu... it's not really my style, these puzzle games have always been shallow for me and the movie really doesn't add anything to the game.
PSN ID: Adamight 3DS Friend Code:0061-4706-8830

User Info: Tedmastr

Tedmastr
3 days ago#9
I bought Detective Pikachu, and I enjoyed it. The puzzles are incredibly easy, for the most part, but I thought it was a cute, relaxing adventure. If you’re looking for a challenge, or for involved gameplay, you’re not going to find it, but if you want a fun story and Pikachu interactions, it’s worth picking up. Note that I haven’t seen the movie, so I don’t know how redundant it is. I get the impression from what I’ve read that the plots/endings are somewhat different.

I can’t comment on Art Academy. I picked it up using some My Nintendo discount, but haven’t played it.

The mystery dungeon games are also a lot of fun, if you haven’t played them. They’re also very story-driven, like Detective Pikachu, but offer more challenge and a different gameplay style than the main games.
3DS FC: 2466-2669-5197
IGN Teddy; TSV: 2442 (X); 0616 (Y); 3854 (OR); 1359 (AS)
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Are Pokemon Art Academy and Detective Pikachu worth it?