• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Metroid: Samus Returns was such a great game.

User Info: Arbalist

Arbalist
1 month ago#21
I've never played any Metroid before besides a quick foray into Super Metroid back when I was trying out a lot of SNES titles. Is SR a good entry in the series anyway? I'm a big fan of the Castlevania games, and Metroid does make up the other half of the Metroidvania genre after all.

User Info: Jack_the_monke7

Jack_the_monke7
1 month ago#22
Arbalist posted...
I've never played any Metroid before besides a quick foray into Super Metroid back when I was trying out a lot of SNES titles. Is SR a good entry in the series anyway? I'm a big fan of the Castlevania games, and Metroid does make up the other half of the Metroidvania genre after all.

It’s a solid jumping in point. It’s the only one you have without going back to games more than 15 years old at this point, so there is that lol. Metroid isn’t super concerned with continuity, SR fills you in on all you need to know.
King Boo for Super Smash Bros!
StarD86 is forever my hero

User Info: MossNToss

MossNToss
1 month ago#23
AM2R was better.

User Info: Hirokey123

Hirokey123
1 month ago#24
OliviaTremor posted...
I highly, highly believe it is much more than three and easily in the double digits. I don’t have proof or an exact number but I would be ridiculously surprised if it was a small number like 3.

Regardless, that’s secondary to the more egregious errors that are focused on enemy and environmental variety. Playing Samus Returns immediately after beating Hollow Knight really, really, really highlighted how lacking Samus Returns was.

It sounds like you're unaware that almost everything the final upgrade gets you is just shortcuts that bypass puzzles for those upgrades. 9/10 times if you find a spot where you need the final upgrade there is an alternate path or puzzle to the thing it guards. I too was surprised to learn that on my second playthrough that so many upgrades I had assumed were blocked off just had much trickier ways to get to them.
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
1 month ago#25
MossNToss posted...
AM2R was better.

Of course you would say that, given it was re-using Super Metroid sprites but modified.
I am pretty sure I know what to do now.
-Sonic Mainer (SSB4) / Link Mainer (SSBU). Hyde / Linne main team in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.

User Info: OliviaTremor

OliviaTremor
4 weeks ago#26
Hirokey123 posted...
OliviaTremor posted...
I highly, highly believe it is much more than three and easily in the double digits. I don’t have proof or an exact number but I would be ridiculously surprised if it was a small number like 3.

Regardless, that’s secondary to the more egregious errors that are focused on enemy and environmental variety. Playing Samus Returns immediately after beating Hollow Knight really, really, really highlighted how lacking Samus Returns was.

It sounds like you're unaware that almost everything the final upgrade gets you is just shortcuts that bypass puzzles for those upgrades. 9/10 times if you find a spot where you need the final upgrade there is an alternate path or puzzle to the thing it guards. I too was surprised to learn that on my second playthrough that so many upgrades I had assumed were blocked off just had much trickier ways to get to them.

Yeah I was unaware of that. That's pretty interesting, I'll see if I can figure out those shortcuts on my next playthrough.

Blayshy posted...
MossNToss posted...
AM2R was better.

Of course you would say that, given it was re-using Super Metroid sprites but modified.

Come on now. AM2R is a great game and not because it re-used Super Metroid's sprites (which it didn't). It had good level design, progression, variety, etc. It was a great game to the point that the sole developer was hired to work on a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest. Dismissing the game entirely is incredibly dumb.
Notyou

User Info: Decapre

Decapre
4 weeks ago#27
I love it!
I was wanting a 2D Metroid even back when the DS originally came out, sucks that we waited so long but the final product turned out pretty good.

I still hate the diggernaunt boss and Ridley being shoehorned as the final boss
DON'T INTERFERE!
https://i.imgur.com/0CWj5nT.jpg

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
4 weeks ago#28
GanglyKhan posted...
I wish that there was more opportunity for sequence breaking, but it was a great game all around. Reminded me of Prime's style if it went 2D.

The original source game didn't really have sequence breaking. It is hard to adapt that into something that does allow it, with the whole tunnel full of hazardous liquid mechanics.

Blayshy posted...
MossNToss posted...
AM2R was better.

And the upcoming 1.5 update is supposed to replace all the modified tiles with completely original ones made from scratch. They are working on the artwork now to get away from borrowed assets.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.whitneyrines.com/
Questionmarktarius 4 weeks ago#29
That stupid slap just sucked all the fun out of the game, and the original was pretty damn tedious already
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Metroid: Samus Returns was such a great game.
  • Topic Archived