You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is Nintendo Switch a must-have console after Nintendo 3DS?

User Info: Layton_Kyouju

Layton_Kyouju
4 weeks ago#21
Yeah. In terms of games it has 3DS’ first two years beaten IMO.

The two complaints I have is lack of dual screens (just because it kills all hope for certain re releases) and the left joycon clearly being tested like s***.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muW-ADqEt3o

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
3 weeks ago#22
The joycons are easily the worst Nintendo controller ever. But is the right joycon any better than the left? I have to try and avoid the home button if I'm using it by itself. The major barrier for Switch imo is having to spend money on a controller and SD card after you bought the system. The competition sells their systems with d-pads and storage solutions... but I can't play them on the toilet.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: _Dog_

_Dog_
3 weeks ago#23
@iMURDAu posted...
The joycons are easily the worst Nintendo controller ever. But is the right joycon any better than the left? I have to try and avoid the home button if I'm using it by itself. The major barrier for Switch imo is having to spend money on a controller and SD card after you bought the system. The competition sells their systems with d-pads and storage solutions... but I can't play them on the toilet.

The Joy-Cons can do plenty of things all the previous controllers couldn't do, including turn one controller into two. That's far from a bad controller, let alone the worst ever made.

You also can get around buying a Pro Controller and SD Card. It's not as hard as you would believe.

If the d-pad is a dealbreaker for you, that's your issue, not the Switch's.
The Big Problem with the Pokemon anime:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/217-pokemon/75265633
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: SpankMcNasty

SpankMcNasty
3 weeks ago#24
I picked up a switch about a month ago and I have to say it is a worthwhile system. The current library isn't as good as I hoped it would be by now since I waited about 2 years to get one, but it still has enough good ones that I'm happy. Plus the games coming out within the next year and a half are awesome!

As for the switch feeling fragile in handheld mode, I bought a little protective case for $9 on Amazon and two tempered glass screen protectors, and with it on I have no more worry about the joycons kind of twisting or jiggling while in handheld.

I will say that the nintendo eshop for switch definitely needs some help. No classics aside from like 3 sega genesis games. And the nintendo subscription only allows you to play a handful of NES games. And the fact that the switch has theme capability yet doesn't offer any additional ones to buy or download sucks. I was looking forward to having a little more customization to my home screen.

All of those nitpicks aside I still feel like its a promising system that's worth the $299 price tag. Plus playing Zelda on the tv and then picking it up and taking it with you to take a poop is pretty awesome haha
'Enter the Champion,
Prince By-Tor appears to battle for freedom, from chains of long years.'

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
3 weeks ago#25
_Dog_ posted...
@iMURDAu posted...

The Joy-Cons can do plenty of things all the previous controllers couldn't do, including turn one controller into two. That's far from a bad controller, let alone the worst ever made.

You also can get around buying a Pro Controller and SD Card. It's not as hard as you would believe.

If the d-pad is a dealbreaker for you, that's your issue, not the Switch's.

Build quality trumps adaptability for me. I've never had a controller de-sync during a game until I brought a Switch into house. That and the on/off feel of the "analog" sticks make me want a better option. It isn't that not having a d-pad is a dealbreaker but it is preferable to spaced out buttons in certain games. Like all the NES games for example.

If you had the option to play a two player game would you take one player on a pro controller and the other on the joycons or would you half the joycons? I can't play too long on half a joycon because it isn't comfortable.

And if you plan on using less than 32GB over the life of a modern tablet-ish system than you must plan on missing out on a lot of digital games and plan on buying almost exclusively retail. Smash Bros is 16GB before dlc. The eShop has tons of games that will never see a retail release. Xbox and PS4 come with hard drives so you can start installing games right out of the box. Nintendo apparently doesn't want anyone to buy a Switch and start splurging in the eShop. But they've always been like that.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: Ralizah

Ralizah
3 weeks ago#26
Yep. It has quite a few releases that I'm looking forward to, and I think it has a really strong library, considering how young it still is.

The Switch (and variations of it) is probably the last console I'll buy for quite some time. I'm not really interested in next-gen PS/Xbox systems, as I've barely used my PS4 this gen, and I have a decent PC that'll be great for next-gen multiplats once I update the video card.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is Nintendo Switch a must-have console after Nintendo 3DS?