You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is there anything on the 3DS that can't be done on a 2DS

User Info: Tippetarius

Tippetarius
1 month ago#1
From what I understand, the only real difference is that the 2DS doesn't have that 3D slider-switch on the top screen. If there aren't any other differences, I'm thinking about just getting one of those as I never used the 3D anyway.
Call me Tip. Or Tippi, if you prefer. And yes, just like my namesake, I'm actually a girl.

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
1 month ago#2
From what I remember, the New 2DS XL does not have the auto-brightness feature that the New 3DS models do.

The original 2DS is a wedge shaped design, kinda like a wide doorstop. The N2DS XL is the traditional clamshell design.

User Info: sanjeust

sanjeust
1 month ago#3
The original 2DS/3DS don't have the SNES virtual console and don't play some games exclusive to the New 2DS/3DS.
"I'm confident that, if there's a real problem [with climate change], He [God] can take care of it." - Michigan Republican congressman Tim Walberg LOL

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
1 month ago#4
Mono sound output unless you use a headphone jack on the regular 2DS, idk about the New.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
1 month ago#5
iMURDAu posted...
Mono sound output unless you use a headphone jack on the regular 2DS, idk about the New.

New2DS has stereo output with speakers.

User Info: Lil_Bit83

Lil_Bit83
1 month ago#6
Probably a few games on the new new new 3DS. Other then the obvious no 3D, I don't think so. 2DS is cheaper anywho, that's why I bought it. If your worried about the screen, you can grab screen protectors for like a buck something on ebay and amazon.

Oh and I'm convinced you could probably really hurt someone with a 2DS if you clunked an attacker over the head with it. XD
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: sanjeust

sanjeust
1 month ago#7
Lil_Bit83 posted...
Probably a few games on the new new new 3DS. Other then the obvious no 3D, I don't think so. 2DS is cheaper anywho, that's why I bought it. If your worried about the screen, you can grab screen protectors for like a buck something on ebay and amazon.

Oh and I'm convinced you could probably really hurt someone with a 2DS if you clunked an attacker over the head with it. XD

And you'd break it.

Also good as doorstop.
"I'm confident that, if there's a real problem [with climate change], He [God] can take care of it." - Michigan Republican congressman Tim Walberg LOL

User Info: Indiana_Liam

Indiana_Liam
1 month ago#8
Thunderbird8 posted...
From what I remember, the New 2DS XL does not have the auto-brightness feature that the New 3DS models do.

N2DSXL Owner here, it does have the auto brightness thing and I wish it wasn't on automatically since it looked like my eyesight was going because of how dark it was
Indiana_Liam is Human confirmed!

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
1 month ago#9
Tippetarius posted...
From what I understand, the only real difference is that the 2DS doesn't have that 3D slider-switch on the top screen. If there aren't any other differences, I'm thinking about just getting one of those as I never used the 3D anyway.

2DS units are identical hardware and specs to their respective 3DS model (original or new) except for the lack of the 3D function on the top screen. They play every game and have every other function their 3DS counterpart has.

Lack of 3D can make some parts of some games hard to play, like Super Mario 3D land with the puzzle rooms with optical illusions when 3D is turned off. <psy such games were made before the 2DS was a thing.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.whitneyrines.com/
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Tippetarius

Tippetarius
4 weeks ago#10
Okay, one more question: can my Nintendo Network ID be transferred from a 3DS to a 2DS?
Call me Tip. Or Tippi, if you prefer. And yes, just like my namesake, I'm actually a girl.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is there anything on the 3DS that can't be done on a 2DS