• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is a 2DS XL worth it for a 7 year old? (they are used to tablets)

User Info: ToastyAnakin

ToastyAnakin
1 month ago#1
I was originally going with the 2DS but since my niece was over and wanted to play pokemon by herself (I played lets go pikachu with her yesterday, but the switch is a $300 console and I don't trust her playing it alone yet)

Due to my pokemon games having stuff I don't want to get rid of I tried giving her older systems.

I powered up my GBA SP but it wasn't the backlit model that people like (its the front lit one..awful)

the text was so small and the brightness was atrocious. So I switched her to my DS lite and the brightness was great but the text was also small.

I remembered I had a old OG 3DS and popped in Moon for her to play. She's enjoying it alot, but I feel like she would greatly appreciate a bigger screen with bigger text etc.

Ultimately, I feel a little uneasy sinking $150 for something that isn't guaranteed. She may like Pokemon now but will she like it later?

But with the 2DS $80 price point I feel a lot better if she ends up not using it much. I mean it's like the cost of a deluxe game.

What would you do? 2DS or 2DS XL for a non gamer child?
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)

User Info: Timinatron

Timinatron
1 month ago#2
I’d go regular 2DS. Less of a risk in case she loses interest. It’s also less likely to break because it doesn’t have hinges. If she loses interest, you can always turn around and sell it either way I suppose. But I think the regular 2DS is geared more towards kids.
Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest
"If it isn't Zelda, it's Skyrim."-guesspoostain

User Info: dextorboot

dextorboot
1 month ago#3
I bought my kids 2DSs at 5 and 8. That was 4 years ago and they still play them. One of them even came with Pokemon Y. They haven't asked for a New system and seem content with theirs even knowing there are some games they can't play.

User Info: hishong

hishong
1 month ago#4
Buying a 2DS XL for a small child when you have a regular 3DS you can give them for free seems like a waste of money. Give her the 3DS. If you're feeling exceptionally generous, buy her a used regular 2DS since things with less breakable parts are better for kids.

ToastyAnakin
1 month ago#5
hishong posted...
Buying a 2DS XL for a small child when you have a regular 3DS you can give them for free seems like a waste of money. Give her the 3DS. If you're feeling exceptionally generous, buy her a used regular 2DS since things with less breakable parts are better for kids.

I don't want her using 3D, she frequently turned it on by accident. I only have one charger for my N3DS which came with my o3DS.

I'll just give her a 2DS that comes with a game and call it a day
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)

User Info: ranran-001

ranran-001
1 month ago#6
There is no scientific evidence that says watching 3d images is harmful. None.

If in doubt ask an expert, they are easy to find.

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
1 month ago#7
You can go into the settings and completely disable the 3D--I did that on my own consoles because I don't like the 3D. If she's happy with the OG, I don't see a reason to go and buy her a $150 console.

If you want to buy her a new console, a 2DS is a better bet--not the XL. 2DS is pretty sturdy and much cheaper, and most come bundled with games. But you can still disable the 3D on that OG and just plop down $10 for a spare charging cable and everyone would still be happy, soooo????
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

ToastyAnakin
1 month ago#8
hishong posted...

I ended up buying her a 2DS and gave her my copy of Pokemon Moon. I'm very happy I did this route, because the 2DS feels really nice and sturdy for her. She's really enjoying it!
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is a 2DS XL worth it for a 7 year old? (they are used to tablets)
  • Topic Archived