You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Do you see Nintendo having some sort of machine to play 3DS games in the future?

User Info: ToastyAnakin

ToastyAnakin
1 week ago#1
with the 3DS and DS library being so massive, it seems like a shame to let them die.

Of course it ultimately doesn't matter too much since the Switch is wildly successful. But with the microconsoles going well for Nintendo, do you see them creating a device that has BC for 3DS games (they won't include 3D) or a future dedicated DS/3DS classic?

I'm mainly thinking of the PS TV and microconsoles as an example
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)

User Info: outworld222

outworld222
1 week ago#2
Hmmm very hard to say. You can only guess at these topics, as you cannot know if Nintendo will release another portable. Still, my answer would be no. They’d want a new iteration line, just as the gameboy line was faded away by the ds line.

User Info: McBick

McBick
1 week ago#3
The 3ds successor will probably have backwards compatibility, so I wouldn't worry about it.

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
1 week ago#4
I would guess that you'll see 3DS games on Nintendo consoles in the future but without the 3D.

They sold DS games for the Wii U so it wouldn't surprise me to see DS and 3DS games in the future.

However the counter to that is Nintendo's current strategy with their online service for Switch. Sure there's NES games but the games are being released slowly and who knows if they'll ever offer games past the 8 bit era. So I wouldn't expect to see anything from their prior catalog on Switch. Which is stupid because virtual console is the biggest advantage the 3DS has over Switch imo.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: ToastyAnakin

ToastyAnakin
1 week ago#5
McBick posted...
The 3ds successor will probably have backwards compatibility, so I wouldn't worry about it.

so you believe in a successor then? Well then, what time frame are you thinking of?

Because I can't fathom a new "DS" portable console/successor for a very long time. The 3DS lived through the end of the Wii, the Wii U and now the beginning of the Switch.

Any portable console will be seen as a shot in the foot for nintendo. Unless the Switch becomes older (say five years old) and technology allows them to justify a dedicated portable
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)

User Info: Brianst0rm

Brianst0rm
1 week ago#6
McBick posted...

Lol it's already out and it doesn't have BC.

User Info: Twix_1

Twix_1
1 week ago#7
Brianst0rm posted...
McBick posted...

Lol no it's not. Especially since Nintendo said that it isn't.
3DS FC: 4682-8631-1331 ACNL DA: 5D00-00DA-9DCF When you visit my town, I always visit yours back. Thanks!

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
1 week ago#8
Twix_1 posted...
Brianst0rm posted...
McBick posted...

Lol no it's not. Especially since Nintendo said that it isn't.

So then where is it? There's no announcement about a new Nintendo portable so where is the "3DS successor" that isn't Switch? I mean why would you want something less powerful than a Switch as a new system and who would develop for it? Where's the robust 3DS game release lineup for 2019? There isn't one. Generally when releases slow it's because a new system is on the way so where is it? Hint: it came out in 2017 and rhymes with Twitch.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: CaIiber345

CaIiber345
1 week ago#9
Get the f***ing things on the Switch. At least port the Selects. Something.
Fire John Hynes.
Get your daily dose of existential nihilism here!

User Info: Veemon_X

Veemon_X
1 week ago#10
CaIiber345 posted...
Get the f***ing things on the Switch. At least port the Selects. Something.

Kinda need a second screen for that. I mean I guess they could split the screen, but the screen would end up looking ugly. Vertical wouldn't work or would be really weird because of where the joycons are attached.
Currently Playing: Fallout: New Vegas - PC
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Do you see Nintendo having some sort of machine to play 3DS games in the future?