• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. So I may want to downgrade from New 3DS XL to Standard 3DS XL

User Info: BluesSoul617

BluesSoul617
4 months ago#1
Though my history of DS handhelds: DS Lite > 2DS > New 3DS XL. I’ve owned my black New 3DS XL since late 2015(?) and never owned a standard XL.

While the New 3DS XL has ZL/ZR+nub, slightly faster speed, and battery life; I noticed the standard XL has:

-Matte finish
-Cartridge slot on top
-Stylus slot on right side
-Audio jack on bottom left
-Start&Select on middle and are ‘plated’ buttons

I was debating on getting a Gold Zelda New 3DS XL but saw the Gold standard 3DS XL which is much nicer and covers the whole hardware. How big do you consider this downgrade if big at all? I forget those additional buttons exist.
Currently own 3DS, Switch, PS4, PS Vita

User Info: Salogy

Salogy
4 months ago#2
It's impossible to transfer from a "new" model to an original model without calling Nintendo. The majora's mask XL is a New model with matte finish. I'd just stick to that and IIRC, those have IPS screens.
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs

User Info: BluesSoul617

BluesSoul617
4 months ago#3
Salogy posted...
The majora's mask XL is a New model with matte finish.

Not according to YouTube.

I guess I’ll just have to keep both New XL and Standard XL then. That matte Gold on Standard is beautiful.
Currently own 3DS, Switch, PS4, PS Vita

User Info: Raccoon1988

Raccoon1988
4 months ago#4
If u want matte finish then why not consider 2dsxl. It’s lighter and faster. The battery is worst but that’s the only downside.
Yo-kai Watch
Cuteness is Justice!!!

User Info: PrettyBoyMarth

PrettyBoyMarth
4 months ago#5
The SNES themed N3DSXL is matte textured.

also, original 3DS XL's have very tight hinges which leads to cracked hinges overtime.

Big mistake downgrading to an original XL.
Wind Waker >>> Ocarina of Time. People who agree: 541

User Info: ecco6t9

ecco6t9
4 months ago#6
The SNES edition feels so nice.
Time Magazine's Man Of The Year 2006.

User Info: F1areaGaman

F1areaGaman
3 months ago#7
If you play a game like Pokemon, where there is lots of menu hopping and data moving in and out of memory a lot, the load times on a regular 3DS will add up considerably. It's very noticeable going back.
3DS FC: 4656-7003-5457

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
3 months ago#8
That's a huge downgrade considering you can't system transfer to it.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: DrVonRupee

DrVonRupee
3 months ago#9
“slightly faster” lmao it’s actually over twice as fast. A lot of games don’t work on the original, and even for the ones that do, a lot of them downgrade performance on the original. Smash takes nearly an entire minute to start up on the original. Hyrule Warriors is virtually unplayable. MH4U has longer load times, lower frame rate, and reduced texture quality. MHGen has worse framerate stability. SNES Virtual Console games aren’t even compatible with the original models. Xenoblade, Binding of Isaac, and several other games arent compatible either. The battery is worse. The hinges snap easier. You can’t perform a system transfer to an older model from a new model.

And the list goes on. seriously this is a pretty stupid idea.
"want make toOAST *hiccup* TO GUDDDD ALE!" - Sarbok
Friend Code: Enzo 3884-0538-1796
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. So I may want to downgrade from New 3DS XL to Standard 3DS XL
  • Topic Archived