• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. I just beat Bravely Second.

User Info: Rango

Rango
1 month ago#1
This game deserves more love.

No bad chapter loops and lazy design like in Bravely Default.

Game's job system is better balanced. Anyone who is a fan of Final Fantasy V will love this guaranteed.

Music isn't as good as Bravely Default. In general, it's hard to even match that for any game in general. However, many songs from Default are reused and some of the original boss music is honestly REALLY good.

Writing's pacing could be a little faster. It's a pretty lighthearted, "let's go save the girl" type story at first. However, the game pockets all its big surprises from Chapter V onwards. If you're a player who needs a good story-driven game, your patience is rewarded once you hit the big plot twist. I went from, "eh, I love the gameplay" to "I need to finish this story."

Great quality of life mechanics. Teleport Stone to warp out of dungeons, control the encounter rate, stack battles to boost JP and EXP, get the airship early-mid into the game, quick travel.

Tons of character development, to include the use of optional skits.

Great boss battles against Asterisks and Ba'als alike.

I really enjoyed this game. I feel Bravely Second is the quintessential turn-based RPG on the 3DS. Aside from the Fire Emblem titles, it's easily my favorite. I give it a strong recommendation to this board!

https://smile.amazon.com/Bravely-Second-End-Layer-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B017W16ZNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538715048&sr=8-1&keywords=bravely+second
http://tinyurl.com/jfdvuhu

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
1 month ago#2
"I feel Bravely Second is the quintessential turn-based RPG on the 3DS"

Not just on the 3DS. What it did with the combat and its job system is amazing. At which point whatever good things it does with its story is just a bonus, it's a must play for turn-based RPG lovers regardless.

User Info: Finn-X

Finn-X
1 month ago#3
You know, I don't even know what job class I had when I beat Default. That's how bad the game was. Haven't played second yet though.
(message deleted)

User Info: helldew

helldew
1 month ago#5
honestly after playing 1 i really dont care to even look towards 2.

1 felt way to budget for me. i kept thinking of FFV playing it. while FFV was a fairly cutting edge game at the time of its creation BD has a budget that felt like they just tried to make the game like a turn based FFV with its own minor perks to it and called it a day. it doesnt feel like they tried to push that budget.

even on basic things like going back to its boring slow as heck turn based combat after FFVs ATB just felt super meh.

after playing like trails/SMT/Dragon quest yeah nothing about BD felt impressive at all. Each new trails game feels like a huge addition to the world building with fantastic music awesome characters etc. SMT4A sure as hell doesnt make me miss nocturnes battle system in any capacity the story leaves a tad to be desired but i didnt hate it.

Dragon quests remake all felt like huge games back when they were made. IV DQ4s party splitting system honestly felt far better done then octopaths.. yeah octopath was a much bigger game but DQIV was more concise to the point but well done.

i dunno i dont really care for BD or octopaths whole design idea of pandering to older RPG vets. they werent awful games but they left a lot to be desired.
Competitive smash Player , random gaming news, + game dev stuff. Follow me on twitter @helldew93 #shamelessselfpromotion

User Info: face235

face235
1 month ago#6
WizardofHoth posted...
the last boss in the game was too tough for me so i quit playing the rest of Bravely Second. I played enouh of it anyway where I know the story and what went on.

Bravely Default is easy. the whole chapter loop, there is a way to stop that. You can break a crystal and then the fairy fights you and thats it

@WizardofHoth
Which boss were you having trouble with? Was it Anné Ultimate? When that boss permanently reduces a character's Max HP to 1, use the Exorcist's skill, Undo HP, to fix that, or just end the battle quickly.

Also, you're wrong about BD. If you break a crystal, you get the bad ending. You don't fight the final boss, and you can't fully explore the optional dungeon either.
I don't care if an item is useless - it exists, so therefore I must get it. xD -Peter_19-
Official Golbez of the Zelda Social Board

User Info: SkyLey

SkyLey
1 month ago#7
WizardofHoth posted...
the last boss in the game was too tough for me so i quit playing the rest of Bravely Second. I played enouh of it anyway where I know the story and what went on.

Bravely Default is easy. the whole chapter loop, there is a way to stop that. You can break a crystal and then the fairy fights you and thats it

and thats it... you just wrote a huge spoiler on your post without any warnings...

User Info: The_Numerous

The_Numerous
1 month ago#8
Should I just jump into second? I'd watch/read up on the first but I'm not sure if I should skip default since everyone hates the last half or quarter of it.
Break me.
https://www.bltc.com

User Info: face235

face235
1 month ago#9
If you decide to jump into Second, be warned. It will spoil the entire story in the first five minutes. It assumes that you beat Default's true ending.
I don't care if an item is useless - it exists, so therefore I must get it. xD -Peter_19-
Official Golbez of the Zelda Social Board

User Info: Mega_Gardevoir

Mega_Gardevoir
1 month ago#10
face235 posted...
If you decide to jump into Second, be warned. It will spoil the entire story in the first five minutes. It assumes that you beat Default's true ending.

They say they'd watch it or read it first anyway.

Imo, I almost think it's better to start with Second since it's more polished in graphics, delivery etc. By the time you finish Default you might not be in the mood for another one of this type of game imo. I feel like Second has a better chance to impress since it doesn't have that big flaw dampening the mood near the end.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. I just beat Bravely Second.
  • Topic Archived