Why do you think the Nintendo 3DS sold much less than the Original Nintendo DS?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why do you think the Nintendo 3DS sold much less than the Original Nintendo DS?

User Info: _J3sus_Chr1st0_

_J3sus_Chr1st0_
3 months ago#1
Is it because of the namesake that confused the 3DS for being another Original DS model, similar to how many people confused the Wii U for it being another Original Nintendo Wii model? Is it because of mobile gaming from smartphones and tablets supposedly killing dedicated handheld gaming?

User Info: outworld222

outworld222
3 months ago#2
No I think it is because it was a launch console. I remember “camping” out at Gamestop along with around 10 people at my local Gamestop. People thought that it was gonna be a smash hit like the ds line. But people forget that the slow first 2 years or so on the 3DS hurt sales in a way.

User Info: goldenraven20

goldenraven20
3 months ago#3
I think it's quite obviously because of mobile gaming, at least primarily. Everyone is consumed by mobile these days and the games are much cheaper. I hate it, but it is what it is.

The original DS also had a novelty factor that appealed to a much wider demographic. There was something there that everybody could pick up and play. I'm not just talking about every gamer, but everybody, even those who aren't gamers. For example, my parents, who aren't gamers at all, bought a DS so they could play Brain Age. By the time the 3DS rolled around, this novelty factor was gone.

User Info: ZatchBell

ZatchBell
3 months ago#4
Ds sold 153 million units, 3ds is around 73 as of now. The portable market changed due to cell phones and a lesser extent due to tablets. 3ds has a decent sized user base, but no portable system will ever top the ds in system sales. Sony is done with portable gaming machines. 3ds is a successful system.
Sega Fan for Life

User Info: dybyhands

dybyhands
3 months ago#5
The ds was like a crazy new turn from the gba. Going from ds to 3ds, not so much. And yeah, then phones started getting crazy.
Nothings Shocking

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
3 months ago#6
Poor launch. 3ds was fairly expensive for how few blockbuster games it had.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1124-lums-ufo-comedy-anime-and-manga
Questionmarktarius 3 months ago#7
The 3DS library never really caught up to DS, and mobile-style free-to-play moneyholes never really got a foothold.

User Info: legefy

legefy
3 months ago#8
The DS was a very big jump and came before mobile gaming really hit off. The 3ds, whilst arguably a more well rounded system, got off to a pretty dodgy start and by the time it got back on track and folks started to notice that the system was really really good it was too late to hook the casual crowd.
I need power over the people! The stupid, stupid people!

User Info: ranran-001

ranran-001
3 months ago#9
The cost was a hundred dollars more than the NDS at launch. Second the weak launch games. Third, the 3d screen was not nearly as good as the new 3ds screen.

Had the 3ds launched with better titles like, Kid Icarus, Mario 3d, or Star Fox, and it had the face tracking technology to improve the 3d screen, it would have done much better even at the original price.

Nintendo essentially had to do damage control to prevent the handheld from sinking. I don't think it could have sold 150 million like the ds, but it certainly would have done better. Maybe 85 to 90 million units sold by now.

User Info: Djwlfpack9

Djwlfpack9
3 months ago#10
The boom in the mobile gaming market was a factor (even if I personally don't have any interest in playing games on my phone, I recognize the popularity), and the expensive price point at launch hurt interest from casual gamers in the beginning.

Still, selling over 70 million units is impressive.

I believe there will always be a market for handheld gaming, just not sure if companies will continue to invest.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why do you think the Nintendo 3DS sold much less than the Original Nintendo DS?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived