What it's like to develop for two HD system looks like?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. What it's like to develop for two HD system looks like?

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
6 months ago#11
FuzzyJello posted...
I don't think we'll ever really know. Nintendo gave up on the Wii U halfway through its retail life, Sony gave up on the Vita even sooner than that.

I don't think Wii U was planned to last 10 years.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
6 months ago#12
I_like_BigButts posted...

you really think they'd waste their time to release a standard def machine this late in the game?

*looks at 3DS*
*looks at DS*
*looks at entire GB line*
*compares these to other consoles out during their console spans*

Absof***inglutely yes. This is Nintendo. It's kinda how they roll. I guarantee you that if/when (and I vote when) the next Nintendo handheld is announced, most people will be talking about how incredibly underpowered it is. And it'll probably still do extremely well and develop a hell of a software library.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: omniryu

omniryu
6 months ago#13
irulethegalaxy posted...
I_like_BigButts posted...

you really think they'd waste their time to release a standard def machine this late in the game?

*looks at 3DS*
*looks at DS*
*looks at entire GB line*
*compares these to other consoles out during their console spans*

Absof***inglutely yes. This is Nintendo. It's kinda how they roll. I guarantee you that if/when (and I vote when) the next Nintendo handheld is announced, most people will be talking about how incredibly underpowered it is. And it'll probably still do extremely well and develop a hell of a software library.

The 3ds was standard def. Not in resolution but in terms of graphics.
PSN/XBL: OMNIRYU
Switch FC: 5419 6809 0486

User Info: lukeskywalker66

lukeskywalker66
6 months ago#14
omniryu posted...
Some people want a Switch and a 3DS successor. But what does it look like? We know Sony tried and it failed.
Sony tried what and failed? They didn't try making a Switch and 3DS successor, nor did they make two HD systems. The Vita is not HD. Amusingly Sony did actually support two HD systems, the PS3 and PS4, until recently. But both Nintendo and Sony decided running a handheld and portable division wasn't worth the effort. Nintendo opted to ditch their home console and Sony ditched their handheld.

But a 3DS successor would have to be at Wii U level at least.
No it doesn't. Unless you're referring to the gamepad specs.

And that is already confusing as some people think the Switch is a portable Wii U.
I have not encountered a single person, on or offline, who has thought this for an instant. Nintendo has very carefully disavowed the Switch line from the Wii U line, even to the point of refusing support to U Pro Controllers. This is just nonsense.

all for what? Dual screen? It isn't worth it. I love the 3ds.
If the dual screen isn't worth it, why do you love the 3DS? Are you enamored with 3D, a feature Nintendo has rightfully jettisoned from the system's latest revision? Dual screens allow for gameplay that wasn't possible on a single screen. What kind of new gameplay does the Switch make possible? Nothing. The Switch exists to make old console and PC games portable, which is exactly what it's been doing. I'll take a DS successor if it means new games.
Anyone can believe in the truth. To believe in nonsense is a demonstration of loyalty... it serves as a uniform.
And if you have a uniform, you have an army.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
6 months ago#15
omniryu posted...
Some people want a Switch and a 3DS successor. But what does it look like? We know Sony tried and it failed. But a 3DS successor would have to be at Wii U level at least. And that is already confusing as some people think the Switch is a portable Wii U.

....what? Overlooking that Sony's repeated failures are meaningless (and that even the Vita wasn't a "HD system"), you're also attaching arbitrary expectations on a potential new handheld.

omniryu posted...
Now you would have two HD system running. The average hd development cost 17 million dollars. So Nintendo has to make two HD Zelda. Two HD Mario? all for what? Dual screen? It isn't worth it. I love the 3ds.

Again, not sure what your expectations are here. And by supporting multiple systems, they're going to make more money. It's not like they'll release Zelda or Mario games twice as fast in the absence of another system, considering they seem to space out releases regardless.

omniryu posted...
It would be better to extend the 3ds lifecycle until the Switch 2 comes out.

Doesn't really need a time-frame attached, but sure, it'd be nice to space out the 3DS's lifecycle. That said, you'd *still* have staff developing for a second system so some things aren't changing that much.

omniryu posted...
Where would you go? In terms of power?

You don't necessarily need a large jump in power. However, there would likely be a change in design... and almost certainly a new "gimmick" of sorts.
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: IrateGameFAQer

IrateGameFAQer
6 months ago#16
multiple systems doesn't always = more money
"at least be grateful Nintendo isn't charging you right now." -Unknown
Lesson to be learned: Be grateful for mediocrity.

User Info: omniryu

omniryu
6 months ago#17
Zeus posted...
omniryu posted...
Some people want a Switch and a 3DS successor. But what does it look like? We know Sony tried and it failed. But a 3DS successor would have to be at Wii U level at least. And that is already confusing as some people think the Switch is a portable Wii U.

....what? Overlooking that Sony's repeated failures are meaningless (and that even the Vita wasn't a "HD system"), you're also attaching arbitrary expectations on a potential new handheld.

omniryu posted...
Now you would have two HD system running. The average hd development cost 17 million dollars. So Nintendo has to make two HD Zelda. Two HD Mario? all for what? Dual screen? It isn't worth it. I love the 3ds.

Again, not sure what your expectations are here. And by supporting multiple systems, they're going to make more money. It's not like they'll release Zelda or Mario games twice as fast in the absence of another system, considering they seem to space out releases regardless.

omniryu posted...
It would be better to extend the 3ds lifecycle until the Switch 2 comes out.

Doesn't really need a time-frame attached, but sure, it'd be nice to space out the 3DS's lifecycle. That said, you'd *still* have staff developing for a second system so some things aren't changing that much.

omniryu posted...
Where would you go? In terms of power?

You don't necessarily need a large jump in power. However, there would likely be a change in design... and almost certainly a new "gimmick" of sorts.

So you guys want something of the same power of the 3ds then? That means you guys want another Wii situation but less relatively innovation.... Because you guys just want a dual screen instead of something new. And that's what all this is about,the the dual screen. Ands, they literally can release Zelda twice as fast @Zeus. You have two team working on one console.

@Lukeskywalker66 you do have some people who say the Switch is as strong as the Wii U. And the dual screen isn't that big of a deal. Very few games used it intuitively. And the most that use it, it was for item management.
PSN/XBL: OMNIRYU
Switch FC: 5419 6809 0486

User Info: FuzzyJello

FuzzyJello
6 months ago#18
omniryu posted...

"Standard Definition" does not equate to "PSP >-< Gamecube range of asset quality and effects"- that specification does. Nor did galaxy suggest the 3ds was anything more.

iMURDAu posted...
FuzzyJello posted...
I don't think we'll ever really know. Nintendo gave up on the Wii U halfway through its retail life, Sony gave up on the Vita even sooner than that.

I don't think Wii U was planned to last 10 years.

Ha, meant to write something about that meaning software support rather than sales lifetimes.

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
6 months ago#19
omniryu posted...

Uh, yeah? That was pretty much my point? 3DS came along after the HD GRAFFIIIIIXXXXXX era started, and was still firmly not HD. If/when there is a 3ds successor, whatever processing power and display capabilities it has will most likely fall in what is considered to be not HD. What "HD" is is a shifting number, as people are now saying 720 isn't HD anymore, I guess? My guess is that a 3DS successor would be TOPS 720 (unlikely) and more likely in the 480 range.

And then people will scream it's not HD, how dare they in 20XX....and buy it like hotcakes. It's Nintendo. There will be awesome games, even if you're claiming "ALL TEH PIXEL JAGGIES MAKE MY EYEZ BLEED OMGWTFBBQ111!!!!11!".
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: CrimsonSmasher

CrimsonSmasher
6 months ago#20
Now why would people buy a new 3DS when the Switch exists? And the Switch is getting all the handheld type games too.
FC 1504 5709 4054
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. What it's like to develop for two HD system looks like?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived