Best Mystery Dungeon game on 3DS?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Best Mystery Dungeon game on 3DS?

User Info: SynchroTooBasic

SynchroTooBasic
1 month ago#21
zinformant posted...
dextorboot posted...
This is why I never know which of these games to pick up. I can never get a feel for which are the better ones.

Rescue Team has no redeeming qualities, and the only good things about Gates are the graphics (not a selling point) and soundtrack. Explorers and Super are legitimately strong entries, each with their perks. Super edges it out due to a better-paced narrative, significantly improved gameplay, and a top-notch soundtrack. For a game of yesteryear, though, Explorers is great, too.

You thought Super had good pacing? Oh my...

That was my main issue with the game. I hated "school life" cutscenes and the game calling you a child over and over. We understand, it's a young pokemon, but not everyone playing are children, sheesh!
Synchro summons were the start of the decline in quality. With pendulum and xyz being the finishing blow. Keep DL vanilla, keep DL good.

User Info: Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder
1 month ago#22
*shrugs* I guess the pacing quality is subjective then; I didn't have a problem with it. It was like you were experiencing the everyday life of a pokemon, so they could gradually build up to the more interesting stuff.
FC: 2724-1435-8055 - IGN: PSI_BLUE
Spyro is coming! SPYRO IS COMING!!!

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
1 month ago#23
SynchroTooBasic posted...
That was my main issue with the game. I hated "school life" cutscenes and the game calling you a child over and over. We understand, it's a young pokemon, but not everyone playing are children, sheesh!

It takes maybe a quarter of the story, and only covers half of one of five continents in the entire damn world.
It's a very small portion of the game. At least for something a lot of people make such a big deal about.

User Info: zinformant

zinformant
1 month ago#24
Nuzleaf remarks that you look like a child, so he enrolls the main character in school. Plus, for all intents and purposes, the main character is a child (regardless of the age of the player transported to the world) because mystery dungeons are difficult crawls until about the time they leave town. It takes that long to gain the skills needed to leave town for the 'real' dungeons (where the adults at the society play). The first half of the game is only an extended tutorial if you don't find slice of life with crawling engaging. How I'm using good pacing here is that the game respects your time. Inventory management is tolerable, and questing is minimal. The main story progresses rapidly, and the game does not bombard the player with repetitive messages (cf. Explorers' recruitment system).

For clarity, I strongly anti-recommend Gates.
Arise, O youth, and become the foundation of the world. It's gonna be alright!

User Info: Terra-enforcer

Terra-enforcer
1 month ago#25
FefnirOmega13 posted...
Super Mystery Dungeon is awful and it's a travesty it's the highest reviewed PMD game. The story is just rehashed greatest hits versions of previous PMD games, the partner character is the worst written one in the series, difficulty in-game is utterly schizophrenic, and the recruitment system is the worst in the series to boot.

Explorers of Sky is an infinitely better game in every category, as is Blue Rescue Team.

QFFT

Couldn’t have put it any better. As a huge MD fan, Super MD is terrible. Haven’t tried Etrian Odyssey, but excluding the DS games, 3DS doesn’t have a ton of quality MD games.
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3032-7898-9500
http://psnprofiles.com/Terraforce777 http://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Rayquaza487

User Info: Terra-enforcer

Terra-enforcer
1 month ago#26
Seacliff217 posted...
SynchroTooBasic posted...

It takes maybe a quarter of the story, and only covers half of one of five continents in the entire damn world.

It's a very small portion of the game. At least for something a lot of people make such a big deal about.

But even that is a lot. I sold the game after 4 or 5 hours and I was still in the School section iirc. It can only get rammed through your skull so many times that you’re in pre School before I get tired of it.
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3032-7898-9500
http://psnprofiles.com/Terraforce777 http://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Rayquaza487

User Info: GreenChocobo

GreenChocobo
1 month ago#27
Weee.

User Info: PolkaGnome

PolkaGnome
1 month ago#28
It's on the simpler side of things, but I'd have to say Adventure Labyrinth Story. PSMD, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon were both huge disappointments for me.

Other than that, check out the Izuna: The Unemployed Ninja games if you haven't already (they're DS titles though).
"Never underestimate this place's ability to talk about stupid crap and it's willingness to do so." -Tildepon
MHGen: Wren - HR7 Bow main; learning HH
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Best Mystery Dungeon game on 3DS?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived