Is FE Awakening as bad as people say it is?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is FE Awakening as bad as people say it is?

User Info: sockesocke

sockesocke
6 months ago#61
it was my first fire emblem so i had nothing to compare it to but i liked it a lot.
maidenkanada:
wtf is a goat simulator is that like a blow doll but a goat for those religious people that live in the desert and blow stuff up

User Info: thefabregas22

thefabregas22
6 months ago#62
When I read the thread title I instinctively said "oh f*** off"

I think that says everything you need to know.
WE'VE GOT OZIl...
Honk For Ponk

User Info: OtherSideofSky

OtherSideofSky
6 months ago#63
Awakening moved away from the limited resource management that Fire Emblem games were uniquely good at and focused on things that other SRPGs do significantly better, but it is by no stretch of the imagination a bad game.

User Info: HerbalTea

HerbalTea
6 months ago#64
thefabregas22 posted...
When I read the thread title I instinctively said "oh f*** off"

I think that says everything you need to know.

Except I had no prior knowledge of Awakening's quality other than there's a vocal group in the fanbase who hates it. I'd like to know if it's worth a $40 purchase since it seems interesting. Sorry if you've seen this kind of thread multiple times, but I assure you my question is genuine and not an attempt to start a flame war.
Proud supporter of finger guns since 2010. Easy ways to let your friends and enemies know that you saw what they did there.

OtherSideofSky
6 months ago#65
HerbalTea posted...
I'd like to know if it's worth a $40 purchase since it seems interesting.

If you like SRPGs, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of it, especially since the genre doesn't have a ton of entries on the 3DS. I'm pretty sure there's also a demo if you want to try it out.

The gameplay is pretty easy to break (and the higher difficulties basically expect you to) and the story is nothing to write home about (FE has basically never been at the forefront of SRPG writing), but both are perfectly serviceable and the game has a good amount of content. The localization plays pretty fast and loose in places, but the actual writing quality is solid enough except that the localization team likes the word "dastard" WAY too much.

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
6 months ago#66
OtherSideofSky posted...
HerbalTea posted...

If you like SRPGs, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of it, especially since the genre doesn't have a ton of entries on the 3DS. I'm pretty sure there's also a demo if you want to try it out.

The gameplay is pretty easy to break (and the higher difficulties basically expect you to) and the story is nothing to write home about (FE has basically never been at the forefront of SRPG writing), but both are perfectly serviceable and the game has a good amount of content. The localization plays pretty fast and loose in places, but the actual writing quality is solid enough except that the localization team likes the word "dastard" WAY too much.

"Dastard" is an actual word.
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.

OtherSideofSky
6 months ago#67
Blayshy posted...
OtherSideofSky posted...
HerbalTea posted...

I know. I said it was. The localization of Awakening massively overuses it purely due to what other word it sounds like. That leads to a lot of unnatural sentences that don't reflect how the word was ever actually used. They needed to get more creative with their all-ages curse word substitutes.

User Info: TheZuperHero

TheZuperHero
6 months ago#68
OtherSideofSky posted...
Blayshy posted...
OtherSideofSky posted...
HerbalTea posted...

I know. I said it was. The localization of Awakening massively overuses it purely due to what other word it sounds like. That leads to a lot of unnatural sentences that don't reflect how the word was ever actually used. They needed to get more creative with their all-ages curse word substitutes.

....I don't think it's being used as a "curse word substitute." A dastard and a bastard are two entirely different things.
Now Playing: Dragon Quest Builders, Mercenaries Saga Chronicles, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, Bayonetta
3DS FC: 4167-4549-4028 NNID: TotalJakeout

OtherSideofSky
6 months ago#69
TheZuperHero posted...
OtherSideofSky posted...
Blayshy posted...
OtherSideofSky posted...
HerbalTea posted...

....I don't think it's being used as a "curse word substitute." A dastard and a bastard are two entirely different things.

I disagree. The localization frequently uses the word in contexts that map to common modern-English uses of its near homophone (e.g. "____, you old dastard!" as a friendly greeting) where nothing of the kind is attested from periods where the word was actually in common use. It also stands out as an obvious affectation compared to most of the localization's other vocabulary, which trends more recent. The localization similarly skirts age ratings by using British English spellings for a few words that would be counted as minor foul language in their American spellings, despite adhering to American English spellings throughout the rest of the text.
Either way, the localized script would benefit from replacing like 30% of the instances of "dastard." It would keep the game's vocabulary more of a piece and potentially also help to distinguish character voice (although the localization already does the latter fairly well).

User Info: TheZuperHero

TheZuperHero
6 months ago#70
OtherSideofSky posted...
I disagree. The localization frequently uses the word in contexts that map to common modern-English uses of its near homophone (e.g. "____, you old dastard!" as a friendly greeting) where nothing of the kind is attested from periods where the word was actually in common use.

What do you mean you disagree? They mean two different things. Just because they aren't using dastard as appropriate to the period doesn't mean it's automatically a swear censor. That incredibly generic example you used there isn't proof, that's a common colloquialism where you joking insult someone you're close to. Rhyme or not, someone can be a "dastard" just as easily as they can be a "bastard."
Now Playing: Dragon Quest Builders, Mercenaries Saga Chronicles, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, Bayonetta
3DS FC: 4167-4549-4028 NNID: TotalJakeout
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is FE Awakening as bad as people say it is?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived