• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Idea for Pokemon Crystal team?

User Info: Skull_pro

Skull_pro
10 months ago#1
So far I have:

-Quilava (will have Typhlosion, obv)
-Slowpoke (I want to use Slowking)
-Ekans (Never really used Arbok before)
-Scyther (Going for Scisor)

I've been thinkimg of ditching Scyther because I plan on getting Skarmory and I really want to use either gen 2 stiff or gen 1 Pokemon I have rarely (ir ever) used.

So I's still have 4 Pokemon at that point. I also almost always use Miltank, so I may or may not use one this time around.

Is Umbreon worthwhile in gen 2?

EDIT: or maube I should keep Scyther and get Xatu instead...
My FC: 5301 2862 3777
Send me Donkey Kong Country Challenges! More info at: https://www.facebook.com/Challenge-NeoArashi-1882592348727869/

User Info: Blue Bomber 99

Blue Bomber 99
10 months ago#2
I was going to recommend Espeon over Umbreon. Umbreon is a tank, but the strongest attacks he learns are bite and feint attack if I remember correctly in gen 2. Espeon on he other hand has high special attack and learns psychic, which is good enough to make up for the fact it's kind of fragile.

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
10 months ago#3
From what I remember of Gold/Silver (never played Crystal, should I guess), Slowbro is a pretty good Psychic offense/defense pick but most people go with Alakazam over him due to speed + attack, but Slowbro is far better story-wise where defense sometimes matters. I remember using him for an entirety of one run and it was pretty fun.

Skarmory is a good choice but I always just thought of it as the best Fly HM user and I didn't use him too often.

Umbreon is great I think, Espeon is good too.

If you've never used a Gengar or Haunter before, be sure to try them out. I almost always had one on my team.

Xatu is a fine replacement for Skarmory too and a bit more useful in the later part of the game, but useless if you have more than 1 psychic Pokemon. It's always best to have as many different types as possible. Just pick whatever you feel like :)
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: pikachupwnage

pikachupwnage
10 months ago#4
In-game umbreon kinda meh.

- no dark move better than theif if you don't breed until level 36. Even then faint attack and bite are...eh.
-Toxic is post game only
-Moonlight is level 52. So stall is gimped until late postgame
-Weak attacking stats
-poor against Chuck, Jasmine, Bruno, and Koga. Only has advantage vs Will(morty if you go out of day to evolve before him) and may struggle with Clair with its recovery and status game not avaible yet.

usable if you put in the effort though.
I'm Mary Poppins y'all.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/665/328/d75.gif

User Info: Arkkana

Arkkana
10 months ago#5
Gold
Typhlosion
Ampharos
Scyther
Espeon
Lapras
Nidoqueen

Silver
Meganium
Ampharos
Sudowoodo
Nidoking
Slowbro
Magmar

These Pokemon are my teams for Gold and Silver for reference. I recommend Nidoking or Nidoqueen for Earthquake, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Shadow Ball or Double Kick, Espeon, and Sudowoodo.
Now Playing: Pokemon Moon (3DS), Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS)
Fire Emblem Fates My Castle Address: 11770-00084 - 00098-31501

User Info: iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme
10 months ago#6
Since I could never get trade evos in original GSC but I have somebody who got it on VC now, I'm mostly using them for my current crystal run (along with a few that I don't remember ever using before). I traded eggs with these guys to myself (via another 3ds) and started a new game with them so I could use them the whole run.

1. Murkrow
2. Bellossom
3. Steelix
4. Porygon2
5. Kingdra
6. Slowking
Best weapon combo in tf2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUWPbS4450&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.last.fm/user/iammax

User Info: deathguise950

deathguise950
10 months ago#7
Worst thing about Xatu is that it doesn't learn Psychic 'til a much higher level. I think it's lvl.65, which is ridiculous. Luckily it does learn Future Sight, but still...

Ursaring is another great 'mon to use as well. I'm running Strength/Snore/Dig/Rest (I gave EQ to Feraligatr). Or if you already have a strength user, you could swap it out for Return or Slash.
Miss you already bud

User Info: Skull_pro

Skull_pro
10 months ago#8
iammaxhailme posted...
Since I could never get trade evos in original GSC but I have somebody who got it on VC now, I'm mostly using them for my current crystal run (along with a few that I don't remember ever using before). I traded eggs with these guys to myself (via another 3ds) and started a new game with them so I could use them the whole run.

1. Murkrow
2. Bellossom
3. Steelix
4. Porygon2
5. Kingdra
6. Slowking

Oh yeah, forgot that Kingdra was a gen 2 Pokemon. I think I'm gonna rid of Slowking and get Xatu and Kingdra instead.

BTW, I evolved my Scyther into Scizor this afternoon.
My FC: 5301 2862 3777
Send me Donkey Kong Country Challenges! More info at: https://www.facebook.com/Challenge-NeoArashi-1882592348727869/

User Info: Arkkana

Arkkana
10 months ago#9
Skull_pro posted...
iammaxhailme posted...

1. Murkrow
2. Bellossom
3. Steelix
4. Porygon2
5. Kingdra
6. Slowking

Oh yeah, forgot that Kingdra was a gen 2 Pokemon. I think I'm gonna rid of Slowking and get Xatu and Kingdra instead.

BTW, I evolved my Scyther into Scizor this afternoon.

I recommend Swords Dance, Return, Wing Attack/Metal Claw, and False Swipe as moves for your Scizor.
Now Playing: Pokemon Moon (3DS), Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS)
Fire Emblem Fates My Castle Address: 11770-00084 - 00098-31501

User Info: psicat1976

psicat1976
10 months ago#10
Typhlosion
Slowking
Arbok
Skarmory
Donphan
Umbreon
| Friend Code: 4742-7277-9647 |
Dream Address NewVegas: 4D00-0078-C64A | Dream Address Stardew: 4D00-0080-DE0F