Why is Pokemon so popular...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why is Pokemon so popular...

User Info: Mindbend8er

Mindbend8er
1 month ago#1
I know nothing about Pokemon always thought it was a kids game but the games is so popular I'm wondering there must be something to it. What makes the game so great
game tag - mindbend8r

User Info: CanibusRtJ

CanibusRtJ
1 month ago#2
solid single player games for the most part
collecting/trading/catching pokemon is always pretty fun
battle/training system is pretty deep, all things considered
I was created by intelligent design
You are merely a descendant of the unmodified
-'Bis

User Info: NM_hunter

NM_hunter
1 month ago#3
CanibusRtJ posted...
battle/training system is pretty deep, all things considered

On the surface, casual players and children can play just normally. Beat the game, collect legendaries, do side stories/quests, etc. But people who want to become really strong can customize their pokemon more. The battle system is like a much more complicated version of chess with weaknesses/strengths, movesets, stats, with over 700 pokemon to use or fight against.

Honestly though, the methods people use to get "stronger" pokemon are just ridiculous. Other RPGs involve dungeons or other crazy boss fights that usually include rng drops that give you strong weapons/armor/materials.

In pokemon.. it's hatching eggs. over and over and over and over and over. To get the right "nature", then you have to do the eevee, and eye vee training, which is kinda ridiculous too.

Eh, well, to each their own, but to me it's always been strange. I've always preferred to play pokemon casually. Leave the hardcore training to other RPGs. Lots of people like the game due to its easy to play nature that does have a more competitive side once you really get into it.

User Info: lali_puna

lali_puna
1 month ago#4
Heavy marketing since 1996!

I'm always amazed people still think it's about quality, when in reality it's all about promotion. Pokemon started with a movie tie-in, an anime series, a cardgame, plushie toys, heavy advertising and pretty good Gameboy games...no wonder it had to become huge.
Wonder when the franchise is oversaturated, as it is slowly the case with Star Wars!?

User Info: arvilino

arvilino
1 month ago#5
lali_puna posted...
I'm always amazed people still think it's about quality, when in reality it's all about promotion. Pokemon started with a movie tie-in, an anime series, a cardgame, plushie toys, heavy advertising and pretty good Gameboy games...no wonder it had to become huge.

Pokemon was a success because the quality of the promotion was good but also because the things they were promoting also were. The games weren't just "pretty good" it was probably the most inspired RPG of the 90's, the card game was of high quality and the Anime was pretty decent and they success of each one all boosted each other in turn.

The stuff that's promoted all have to be quality too, advertising something that is undesirable isn't going to work(or stops working after people realise what they're advertising isn't any good). Bandai tried with Digimon which had the devices, Card Game and Anime, toys and still underperformed massively compared to Pokemon or Bandai's own Tamagotchi. This is due to lack of quality outside the Anime(which fluctuated) and handful of the console games and severe mishandling of several of the multi-media aspects especially the Card Game and the Movie.
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995

User Info: IrateGameFAQer

IrateGameFAQer
1 month ago#6
arvilino posted...

Pokemon was a success because the quality of the promotion was good but also because the things they were promoting also were. The games weren't just "pretty good" it was probably the most inspired RPG of the 90's, the card game was of high quality and the Anime was pretty decent and they success of each one all boosted each other in turn.

lmmfao @ overinflating the game. It was NOT the most inspired. It wasn't even an original idea.
"at least be grateful Nintendo isn't charging you right now." -Unknown
Lesson to be learned: Be grateful for mediocrity.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#7
arvilino posted...
Pokemon was a success because the quality of the promotion was good but also because the things they were promoting also were. The games weren't just "pretty good" it was probably the most inspired RPG of the 90's

When you ask gamers to list the best RPGs of the 90s, most of them could probably rattle off a long list of games and never mention Pokémon. The main draw of the original Pokémon games was the gimmick of catching and raising your own team but frankly the game wasn't very good. The rock-paper-scissors battle system wasn't particularly good, the story was garbage, and the whole experience was riddled with annoyances such as the super high encounter rate in some areas and the HM system they relied on for many generations.

They did a great job of promoting it and I think there was a lot of luck involved as well. Once it carved out a fanbase they were able to release the same game over and over and people ate it up.

One achievement that was pretty impressive is the way they cemented the identities of the original 151 mons into our collective consciousness, though. Without even being a major fan of the series I always had an attachment to them, as many others did. Adding a million new pokemon diluted that significantly, especially with the idiotic ones like the trash bag mon and the ice cream cone mon, but at this point I think they can release pretty much anything and people will buy.

User Info: dybyhands

dybyhands
1 month ago#8
According to a video I once watched online, its because of demons and the devil, lmao!
Nothings Shocking

User Info: Unown_201

Unown_201
1 month ago#9
I think the ability to move pokemon from one generation to the next is a big factor.

Lots of games have collecting and training but very few let you keep any progress from one game and move it into the next, continuously. How many other games released today still feature conectivity and moving of content from a GBA or Gamecube game? You can still do that with Pokemon (assuming you have the games and consoles inbetween).

I think thats the main advantage for me. If the ability to move Pokemon between generations was lost I would stop playing.

It means old games still have value and a use, even many years and console generations later. I often end up going back and playing old games in the series because they have something unique or useful I can't get in later games.

It also means time and effort spent on raising a pokemon can last and be reused in future games. Its not just left behind and forgotten when a new game is out.
"Knowledge is knowing the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both ways anyway."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1282-alternative-science-and-history

User Info: Lightwarrior11

Lightwarrior11
1 month ago#10
Unown_201 posted...
ability to move pokemon from one generation to the next

Haven't really played a Pokemon game since Pokemon Red on the original Gameboy. Somebody please link me to an article/resource explaining how this has worked across the gens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd0T6SjHejw
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why is Pokemon so popular...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived