I tried to use a third party charger and now my 3DS won't charge

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. I tried to use a third party charger and now my 3DS won't charge

User Info: Inferno00

Inferno00
3 months ago#1
It was supposed to be an adapter for USB but it didn't work and I didn't think anything of it at the time. But later, I tried to charge my 3DS with the normal charger and it won't charge.

The system turns on just fine but eventually it will run out of power. I tried another official charger and various outlets and it still doesn't charge.
"Burn in the fires of Inferno!"

User Info: noswal1990

noswal1990
3 months ago#2
And this why I always buy first party item.
Help me this guy trying ban me http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382

Inferno00
3 months ago#3
I have plenty of the official chargers, I was just trying the USB adapter for convenience. The orange light will not turn on even if the system is on sleep mode or off. And it's definitely not charging since I left it connected last night and it's still at 2 bars.

This really sucks since I was partway through Pokémon Silver when this happen (so it's not like I can just put the game in another 3DS). I think at this point even if I was willing to do a system transfer, I have too little power to finish it.

User Info: Meteordragon10

Meteordragon10
3 months ago#4
Don't suppose you could try one of the cradle chargers? Those don't use the regular port like normal chargers use. Yeah, you can't really play very well while they are charging but it'll at least get you a charge enough to do a system transfer.
3DS Friend Code: 2921-9132-1786 (3DS Name: Kratos), Region: NA/US
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.

Inferno00
3 months ago#5
Do you know if this is something that stores regularly carry? I rather get this as soon as possible since my goal was to finish Pokémon Silver in time for Pokémon Crystal (and transfer my Pokémon to it).

Meteordragon10
3 months ago#6
Well...unfortunately I think it'd have to be another "3rd party" thing but I think I've seen them at places like Walmart or Gamestop before. As far as I know they have the official ones for the smaller 3DSs and larger unofficial ones for the XL versions. It'll probably cost you about 10 to 15 dollars for one, would be my guess.
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.

User Info: Raiden243

Raiden243
3 months ago#7
I’ve never seen them at retail stores. You can check Amazon for some charging docks/cradles.

Inferno00
3 months ago#8
I think the problem is that I tried to connect it to this early in the day.

http://luxa2.com/Power_Bank_Solution/113/P_MEGA_41_600mAh_World_s_Largest_Power_Station/product.htm

It didn't charge but it didn't disrupt game play or anything nor did the system heat up (or any signs that anything was wrong as far as I could tell).

It was only at the end of the day that I left the system to charge with the normal charger that I found out that it wouldn't charge.

Meteordragon10
3 months ago#9
Huh...never seen anything like that before. It's possible you may have...I don't know...messed up something in your system by charging it with something that outputted more volts than the 3DS could handle. I think it normally handles around 110v-220volts. It doesn't state outright how many volts it outputs though...

This thing at the bottom says that for NDS systems (likely original NDS...but I dunno) the 1A ports were the ones that were supposed to be used.

Inferno00
3 months ago#10
Meteordragon10 posted...
This thing at the bottom says that for NDS systems (likely original NDS...but I dunno) the 1A ports were the ones that were supposed to be used.

This is probably really dumb but I tried both. I was used to other devices such as the iPhone which work fine with both or the iPad (which works better with 1A even though that's supposedly too little power for it).
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. I tried to use a third party charger and now my 3DS won't charge

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived