Who likes their DS better than their Switch?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Who likes their DS better than their Switch?

User Info: Talkin_Dreams

Talkin_Dreams
3 months ago#31
Pretty much in the same boat.

I certainly had a lot of fun playing Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 & Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I find them difficult to really commit to or play outside of school holidays/time off. With the 3ds I find it much more accessible to just pick up & play for any length of time & generally much more appealing after coming back from work.

Once Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi, Rocket League & Portal Knights release over the next couple of months, I'll likely game more on the Switch as those look alot of fun in co-op.
Playing (3DS): Stella Glow, Legend of Legacy & Yokai Watch

User Info: SaraAB87

SaraAB87
3 months ago#32
I am getting a switch in the future, but I am waiting for a NEW experience, other than 1-2 switch, Arms and Super Mario, Splatoon 2 and perhaps something else I am forgetting, the rest of the games are ports or sequels that I can get on PC or another console for a cheaper price. The pricing system makes these ports cost more than on the other consoles or PC. I already have a Wii U so I have the games that they are releasing now already. I purchased a lot of Wii U games at bargain prices during Gamestop's B2G1 this holiday season. A bit of add ons to an already existing game that I probably already played will not wow me and will not get me to pay full price for the same game again. Also releasing the exact same game with a bit of extra content on a new system at full price will not get me to buy it. I do not want to play the same exact game over and over I want to play a new game, even if it is a sequel, but what we are talking about here are almost direct ports.

The switch is an odd console, its too big to be a carry around handheld like the 3DS so its basically a screen you dock behind your TV and use like a regular game console.

If there was another 3DS being released I would definitely skip the switch, at least until it goes to a bargain basement price so I can continue my Nintendo hardware collection as I have all their consoles.

I am really waiting for Pokemon to come to the switch because that is obviously where its going and that is the franchise I play the most. I wish they would somehow make a Nintendo Mini Switch that functions with the same games as the switch but is smaller and more portable.
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 3926-4622-6128

User Info: Cozz

Cozz
3 months ago#33
TinyTim123 posted...
I also have both. The Switch has a lot of "bigger" styled games, and I just don't really like them, which is why I've been a portable gamer for the last two gens.

The beauty of the Switch is it has both bigger and smaller games. Sounds like you need to check out some of the smaller titles? Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap, Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, Sonic Mania, Stardew Valley, Wulver Blade. Lots of great stuff to choose from now.

I did have a small period of going to the 3DS after BOTW, but these last 4-5 months I haven't touched it... Though I do need to go back because I have Metroid to play. Honestly though, even though 3DS is one of my favourite systems of all time, I feel I'm ready to move on from it now. I kinda wish Metroid had a Switch release.

I'll add that when I got my switch I got a case like this cause I though it would give me the best protection: https://content.ebgames.com.au/website/images/detail/225963_detail.jpg

But it really bulks it up too much. I got one of these now and it feels much sleeker and feels much more portable now: https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ebgames-au-cdn/website/images/detail/225692_detail_01.png
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/cozz/games

User Info: Lelouch71

Lelouch71
3 months ago#34
Come back to me in a few years. The Switch is still a toddler compared to its older cousins the DS and 3DS. I will say comparing first years the Switch easily destroys both the DS and 3DS. I prefer my 3DS over my DS. The Switch is already off to a good start so it has a chance of surpassing the 3DS in games.
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"

User Info: TinyTim123

TinyTim123
3 months ago#35
Cozz posted...
TinyTim123 posted...
I also have both. The Switch has a lot of "bigger" styled games, and I just don't really like them, which is why I've been a portable gamer for the last two gens.

The beauty of the Switch is it has both bigger and smaller games. Sounds like you need to check out some of the smaller titles? Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap, Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, Sonic Mania, Stardew Valley, Wulver Blade. Lots of great stuff to choose from now.

I did have a small period of going to the 3DS after BOTW, but these last 4-5 months I haven't touched it... Though I do need to go back because I have Metroid to play. Honestly though, even though 3DS is one of my favourite systems of all time, I feel I'm ready to move on from it now. I kinda wish Metroid had a Switch release.

I'll add that when I got my switch I got a case like this cause I though it would give me the best protection: https://content.ebgames.com.au/website/images/detail/225963_detail.jpg

But it really bulks it up too much. I got one of these now and it feels much sleeker and feels much more portable now: https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ebgames-au-cdn/website/images/detail/225692_detail_01.png

Wonderboy looks pretty okay. Not a fan of the first Steamworld Dig (it's just not for me), have never been big on Harvest Moon titles, and everything I read about Stardew Valley says it's not something I'll enjoy, and even way back on the Genesis, SOnic hasn't been something I liked.
I haven't looked at Golf Story because I don't have fun in golf games, even Golf RPG type games. I hadn't heard of Wulver Blade, though, so I'll check it out.

Really, the only "big" type titles I'm vaguely looking forward to are Lost Sphear, and the already released I Am Setsuna.

I have a hard case, but it's not like I'll be bringing my Switch outside. I don't bring any kind of bag or backpack with me to places where I might have the time to sit and play, so it's my 3DS or Vita that goes into my pocket, usually the 3DS.

The 3DS has like what I like to think of as "mid-tier" games. 7th Dragon was a very good mid tier RPG (for me). So was Return to Popolocrois. There was some love and effort and resources put into them, but it knew the system it was for and didn't try and make something larger than life with ultra realistic graphics. They focused on interesting art direct, and a fun or compelling or catchy story, and let the games be smaller scale than what was available on home consoles. Same thing with the Adventure Time games (despite them also being on home consoles), Dragon Ball Fusion and Extreme Butouden, LBX, MocoMoco Friends, the River City games.
Xenoblade was not something I enjoyed. It was specifically made to be "big", and that was too much for me.
As you may have figured, I'm not big on Nintendo's first party offerings either, but neither do I like the home console experience. The PS4 has exactly four games I want to play, and two of those are on Switch (Sphear and Setsuna) . If I could get EDF5 and Nobunaga's Ambition, I'd be set.
Indies are fine, but a lot of them aren't really my idea of fun either.

So, you know, the 3DS is scaled to fit my life better, in both physical dimensions and with the scale of games.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
En un mundo perfecto, eso definitivamente importaria.

User Info: bigtim777

bigtim777
3 months ago#36
Other then Xenoblade (which isn't even complete yet with upcoming dlc) the SWITCH has zero interresting games for me right now.

Waiting on info about SMTV / Fire Emblem and Pokemon first.

So yea Ill keep playing games on my 3DS and PS4 atm. Better library.
Mutton, fresh mutton!

User Info: RandyDragon

RandyDragon
3 months ago#37
bigtim777 posted...
Other then Xenoblade (which isn't even complete yet with upcoming dlc) the SWITCH has zero interresting games for me right now.

couldn't agree with you more. Throw in a drop in price and maybe re-doing the Joycons and I may be sold
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I am a Riseteer and proud of it!

User Info: TheSystemFailed

TheSystemFailed
3 months ago#38
ScytheXero posted...
I am going to get a lot of hate for saying this... I hated ZBOTW. It was a fusion of Skyrim and Shadows of Mordor for me. The Dungeons were 3 minutes long, the weapon break system, just the whole concept was a complete turn off. I am enjoying Xenoblade 2 even though it's far from being a perfect game. I have that, Mario Kart 8, Dragon ball Xenoverse 2, and I will have Mario come tomorrow for my birthday. I find myself going back to my 3DS a lot because of my back log of games I am playing. The Switch is great but my 3DS feels more personal to me.

I hated BOTW as well. Not sure what everyone sees in that one. The world was empty. The stamina gauge, breaking weapons, cooking, one hit deaths from lightning hitting my sword, were infuriating. Not very Zelda like.
Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSystemFailed
3DS Friend Code 1092-2676-3451 USA East Coast

User Info: TheSystemFailed

TheSystemFailed
3 months ago#39
RandyDragon posted...
bigtim777 posted...

couldn't agree with you more. Throw in a drop in price and maybe re-doing the Joycons and I may be sold

Like, having a joycon with a proper d-pad......Is that too much to ask? I know why they dont....so you can use each one as an independent controller, but dang...the VC is gonna suck without a d-pad.
Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSystemFailed
3DS Friend Code 1092-2676-3451 USA East Coast

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
3 months ago#40
TheSystemFailed posted...
RandyDragon posted...
bigtim777 posted...

Like, having a joycon with a proper d-pad......Is that too much to ask? I know why they dont....so you can use each one as an independent controller, but dang...the VC is gonna suck without a d-pad.

Really, they work just fine. I don't know what makes people think they don't.
Steam/XBL/PSN/EU NNID - Nifterific | US NNID & Nintendo Account - n00bsaib0t
EU Nintendo Account - n00b_saib0t | SFV: Balrog | MKX: Sun God Kotal Kahn
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Who likes their DS better than their Switch?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived