Anyone been playing Legend of Dark Witch 3?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Anyone been playing Legend of Dark Witch 3?

User Info: The_Ninjadillo

The_Ninjadillo
3 months ago#1
I've beat four stages (excluding the intro stage) so far. I'm having fun, but I do find some of the design choices to be weird.

For example: in the previous two games, there were 5 upgrade slots you could activate in the middle of the stage. These upgrades were for speed, height techniques, upgrading two different shot types, and upgrading your overall power. In DW3, on the other hand, there's only three slots: speed, hovering, and projectile width. And as far as I can tell, you can't buy different types of upgrade slots like you could in DW2.

They changed how upgrading works in general, actually. In DW1 and 2, you'd collect an item called Tres whenever you shot an enemy or obstacle, and collecting enough of this item would allow you to activate a temporary upgrade. In DW3, you can only upgrade slots by collecting Syega, a rare drop from enemies. It's weird to adjust to, since now the only purpose for Tres is upgrades (as well as your ammo count, but you're basically always collecting Tres so it doesn't matter).

The parrying mechanic is gone, too. What a strange thing to remove considering it was a very useful technique in DW2 and was a great example of risk and reward.

The biggest thing they removed are boss weapons. In the first two games, when you beat a boss you would get its weapon, which another boss would be weak to. In other words, Mega Man. But for some reason in DW3 you don't get boss weapons anymore, and it makes the game feel more generic as a result.

I don't think these changes are bad per se--okay I do think some of them are bad, it's just taking a lot of time to adjust to, and a lot of them feel like they're dumbing down the gameplay with how much depth they remove. I heard from someone else that they also removed the New Game+ adjustable stat upgrades, which is another bizarre thing to get rid of considering it added a ton of replayability in the previous games.

Would I recommend the game? Well, like I said, I'm only 4 stages in so it's hard for me to give a proper review. If you liked the first two Dark Witch games you'll probably enjoy this one too, but so far I don't think it reaches the quality of Dark Witch 2.
Playing right now: Rune Factory 4

User Info: Gogo726

Gogo726
3 months ago#2
I was planning on getting this after finishing Blossom Tales on Switch, but it's rather disappointing to read about the changes in Dark Witch 3. Sounds like a major downgrade.

User Info: The_Ninjadillo

The_Ninjadillo
3 months ago#3
Okay, beat the game.

Despite my complaints I talked about earlier, I really did have a great time with it. The level design is by far the best in the series so far, especially the later stages which combine multiple gimmicks from earlier stages which make for creative and interesting levels. It's also worth pointing out that the levels are a lot longer this time, too, some of which I spent over 10 minutes on.

I think this game has the best soundtrack as well, especially the remixes of DW2 songs which sound fantastic, and I hope someone uploads them onto Youtube.

As for some other random stuff, particularly from the post game:

- The game isn't at all subtle about this when you first start a file, but there's a second playable character you get after beating the game. She plays very similarly to Rizu from DW1, having absolutely garbage range and... that's really it. Personally, I liked it better when DW2's unlockable character was actually practical instead of just being intentionally terrible, but I guess the extra challenge is there if I want it.

- It turns out I did unfortunately hear right, there is no New Game+. No Syega Shop at all, actually. Poker and Rudymical are still there (the latter is even a bit more touched up this time), but they gave Tres instead which counts towards unlocking archive stuff.

- If you've played the other DW games, you probably know about Lunatic Mode, the toughest difficulty setting (aside from modifiers like 1-hit kill mode but DW3 removes modifiers anyway so y'know). It's still here, but you have to jump through some hoops to get it this time, specifically collecting all 48 Pure Syega. On the bright side, the base game is already the hardest in the series, so the time spent unlocking it won't feel like a slog in terms of difficulty.

Even though I feel that Dark Witch 3 goes overboard in an attempt to simplify the gameplay, it's definitely worth picking up if you're a fan of platformers or liked the other two Dark Witch games. Very solid platformer.

As for my personal series ranking:

Dark Witch 2 > 3 > 1
Playing right now: Rune Factory 4

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
3 months ago#4
Same, I also disliked they removed the "dot-art" collection... or whatever it's called none the less, I'd say it's a more streamlined experience, pretty good overall, but yeah, 2 is still better for me too.
MHPortable 3rd AGGL true Legend. I am one of the real main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thx.

User Info: StephenYap3

StephenYap3
3 months ago#5
I have, but compared to the first two games, not so much.

I was so hyped for this game after being amazed by the second game, but upon playing it (and beating it) I was disappointed. The first two games left me contented after experiencing enough of them. This one did not. In fact, this is the only title in the franchise that I didn't like at all.

My feelings for this are pretty much what TC shared, except that I was actually disappointed in the end. The introduction of the "mini boss" tanks was a nice change of pace, but when I have to face those exact same things over and over in most stages, that's when I get annoyed, not to mention that the extreme nerfing of the Magic Items system (compared to Dark Witch 2) makes them mostly useless, with Syega Search and Wide Bomb being the only useful ones for me (Life Recovery is pointless, Double Syega was fine but what happened to the Syega Status from the first two games!? The others that modify Zizou's Liner Shots are...meh). The soundtrack, personally for me, didn't really click well enough with me. I mean, each Dark Witch game always had at least three tunes for me to listen to every now and then, whereas Dark Witch 3 barely had anything for me to open my eyes to. The only music track I liked from DW3 is the main menu, but even then it doesn't compare to the other games' menu music tracks (especially DW2. Hot dang). I would applaud for the better level design, but Cholesy's level (I don't like levels, where I have to walk in the dark...) made me very disgusted while others like Rio's and Wonder Girl's I didn't care for. Speaking of the bosses, most of their character designs were meh for me. The first two games' bosses always had unique identities added to them that made them charming whereas DW3's don't do much to impress me. Heck, even Day's design just looks disgusting, in my opinion. The only boss that I liked in design is pretty much Neville, but that's only because she's been a playable character in the Switch version of Brave Dungeon (which I thought was great).

Now, these all may sound like minor complaints, but the biggest of the dealbreakers for me have got to be the removal of the Boss Weapons and Syega Shop. I mean, those two features are what made the first two games great, so why remove them? Why fix what isn't broken? Because of this, I played DW3 less and less compared to the first two (up to the point where I barely got off the ground with Day's story), both which I've beaten the game with both characters (at least on the 3DS versions...). Because of this, I don't think I'm able to play this game any further than I have for the other games in the series. The only good things this game did for me are better boss fights and being able to freely switch between Difficulty Levels without having to make separate files...but the bad outweighs the good for me.

My personal ranking of the franchise:
1) The Legend of Dark Witch Episode 2: The Price of Desire
2) Brave Dungeon (Separate game)
3) The Legend of Dark Witch
4) Rudymical: A Dark Witch Musical Episode
5) Dark Witch's Story: COMBAT (Separate game)
6) The Legend of Dark Witch Episode 3: Wisdom and Lunacy
Still waiting for a good Mario Tennis and Paper Mario RPG, Camelot and Intelligent Systems. R.I.P. Miiverse 2012 - 2017.

User Info: StephenYap3

StephenYap3
3 months ago#6
shinyspheal posted...
Same, I also disliked they removed the "dot-art" collection... or whatever it's called none the less, I'd say it's a more streamlined experience, pretty good overall, but yeah, 2 is still better for me too.

I missed the Syegacha Mini Game as well, especially in Brave Dungeon, where you're able to decorate your pictures with the Pixel Art you've collected.
Still waiting for a good Mario Tennis and Paper Mario RPG, Camelot and Intelligent Systems. R.I.P. Miiverse 2012 - 2017.

User Info: PolkaGnome

PolkaGnome
3 months ago#7
I've haven't played any of the spin-offs (yet), but out of the three main games it's definitely my least favorite so far. It's really disappointing how much they simplified things... I find myself missing the parry mechanic more so than the boss attacks though, if only because I tend to hoard any attacks with limited uses to use against bosses and such.

That said, I'm only six stages in so far, and while the level design is nice, too much of everything else feels missing. It's still a solid, and fun, game though; it just doesn't hold up as well as the first two for me.

One change I'm conflicted on is that you no longer lose your upgrades when you die. Though I don't remember if that was something they changed in DW2 now... I wanna say this is a DW3 change though, due to the fact they changed how your upgrade meter works. On one hand, it makes beating bosses a lot easier if you happen to screw up and die while fighting one, but on the other hand I kinda liked how the old way forced me to really learn the bosses patterns and not rely on the power-ups as much (granted, you can just go through the stage without using the upgrades anyway).
"Never underestimate this place's ability to talk about stupid crap and it's willingness to do so." -Tildepon
MHGen: Wren - HR7 Bow main; learning HH

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
3 months ago#8
So as you are describing, and I have experienced, only playing and beating the first game, the upgrade system worked like Gradius, and the stage and powerup system worked like Megaman.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
3 months ago#9
There were several things that were cut, but what remained was greatly improved. Levels are longer, better designed and challenging, and there are more of them.

I didn't use blocking all that often so it didn't bother me personally, but it seems weird to cut. Not getting abilities from bosses is okay by me too, since they were pretty underwhelming in the second game (although it has the side effect of not getting to figure out a boss's weakness). Overall, I think this is probably the best of the series (which is saying a lot).
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
3 months ago#10
You guys suppose there's any chance they'll do an update to add more post-game content? I heard a rumor that the game may have been rushed for a 2017 release, so they may not have been finished with everything they wanted to do.
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Anyone been playing Legend of Dark Witch 3?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived