Don't know a thing about Pokémon. Where's a good starting point?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Don't know a thing about Pokémon. Where's a good starting point?

User Info: HyruleHero

HyruleHero
4 months ago#1
Grabbing a 2DS XL soon and I wanted to finally get into Pokémon. Of the available games on 3DS, which is the best for a newcomer to get?

User Info: Cocco

Cocco
4 months ago#2
I think that everything goes, these games are really newcomer friendly. Avoid sun/moon completely because ultra sun/ultra moon are basically an enhanced version. On average, ultra games are more difficult than the previous and maybe you want an easier journey for your first game. X/Y or Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (or heart gold/soul silver for DS, my favorite game in the series). If you want more challenge, ultra sun or moon

User Info: Mega_Gardevoir

Mega_Gardevoir
4 months ago#3
The most recent game has the most active online if you want to use the various features. They also hand out free Pokemon gifts for the most recent game. That said, Ultra Sun\Moon is not a bad start.

A lot of people say X\Y is a good start too, but I recommend Ultra Sun\Moon. Between Ultra Sun vs Ultra Moon the main difference is a few Pokemon you can catch to encourage online trading and the legendary Pokemon on the cover being the one you catch. A special feature of these games is also that the clock is reversed in Moon. So when it's day time on your 3DS clock it will be night time when playing Moon. So if you play the game at night but still want to see towns during the day it can be convenient.

So yeah, go with Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon. No point in both since it's mostly the same game. The normal Sun\Moon versions may be cheaper, but they are outclassed by the Ultra edition.

User Info: Lil_Bit83

Lil_Bit83
4 months ago#4
Anywhere. They all have an in-game tutorial, they all have helpful hints along the way and certain types of trainers always have certain types of pokemon.
I'm a chick

User Info: macknifficent89

macknifficent89
4 months ago#5
red and blue on VC

User Info: HyruleHero

HyruleHero
4 months ago#6
Guess I’ll go with Ultra Moon (I’m a sucker for tropical settings). Thanks for the suggestions.

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
4 months ago#7
macknifficent89 posted...
red and blue on VC

Good joke.
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.

User Info: macknifficent89

macknifficent89
4 months ago#8
Blayshy posted...
macknifficent89 posted...
red and blue on VC

Good joke.

yeah, it should go without saying, but TC did ask.

User Info: CrestedTax

CrestedTax
4 months ago#9
Every Pokemon game is noob friendly, so I would start from the newest one, Ultra Sun/Moon.
FC 5172-3452-9992

User Info: BahamutBBob

BahamutBBob
4 months ago#10
I'd go for OmegaRuby or AlphaSapphire, honestly. I'm only barely on the second island in UM, but it's basically the same story as SM so far, and it wasn't nearly as good or fun as AS was or me.
XBL / PSN / Steam / NNID: BahamutBBob
3DS: 2320 - 6245 - 8788
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Don't know a thing about Pokémon. Where's a good starting point?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived