Why can't you map buttons on VC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why can't you map buttons on VC?

User Info: Snake99001

Snake99001
5 months ago#1
All I want is to be able to use the Y button as the B button so that I can sprint (or attack in non-Mario games) with Y and jump with B. We've been playing Mario games this way since f****** Super Mario World on SNES! Now I use X and A on VC which gets the job done I guess but why leave that poor Y button inactive? Is Nintendo allergic to customization? Using the actual 3DS B and A buttons for B and A on NES games is atrocious.
Fear your blindness

User Info: Maetch

Maetch
5 months ago#2
Because Nintendo is all about total accuracy to the original button layout whenever possible.

User Info: gabelogan183

gabelogan183
5 months ago#3
I find this annoying as well. Super Mario Bros 3 just got a discount via My Nintendo rewards so I decided to get it regardless of the lack of button mapping.

Playing an NES Mario game with X and A is doable but feels weird.

The strangest thing is the Wii U VC games allow for button mapping so I bought a 2DS XL expecting the same thing.
PSN Megaman183 / NNID Megaman183

Snake99001
5 months ago#4
Maetch posted...
Because Nintendo is all about total accuracy to the original button layout whenever possible.

Yeah, because the NES totally had an X button. Besides, you can remap controls with the consoles so why not the handhelds? It can't possibly be hard to program. It's one of those small, annoying Nintendoisms that we let them get away with because of our nostalgia tinted glasses. Hell, screw the remapping, just make the Y button act like B! It blows my mind how irrational this company can get sometimes.
Fear your blindness

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
5 months ago#5
Snake99001 posted...
Maetch posted...

Yeah, because the NES totally had an X button. Besides, you can remap controls with the consoles so why not the handhelds? It can't possibly be hard to program. It's one of those small, annoying Nintendoisms that we let them get away with because of our nostalgia tinted glasses. Hell, screw the remapping, just make the Y button act like B! It blows my mind how irrational this company can get sometimes.

The answer is pretty damn simple. The WiiU came after the 3DS. A 3DS complaint was no button mapping so they added it there (literally their only device with VC button mapping). They never added it to 3DS because it meant patching literally every 3DS VC title. But sure, consider not patching like 100 games irrational.
Steam/XBL/PSN/EU NNID - Nifterific | US NNID & Nintendo Account - n00bsaib0t
EU Nintendo Account - n00b_saib0t | SFV: Balrog | MKX: Sun God Kotal Kahn

User Info: ecco6t9

ecco6t9
5 months ago#6
Because NES layout is superior to the SNES layout.
Time Magazine's Man Of The Year 2006.

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
5 months ago#7
ecco6t9 posted...
Because NES layout is superior to the SNES layout.
MHPortable 3rd AGGL true Legend. I am one of the real main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thx.

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
5 months ago#8
I thought you could. You can on wii u. Does it only work on New 3DS maybe?
I'm sick of off topic threads and abusive mods.
u/Gargomon251

Snake99001
5 months ago#9
Gargomon251 posted...
I thought you could. You can on wii u. Does it only work on New 3DS maybe?

Nope, I own a new 3DS.
Fear your blindness

User Info: nickkuh

nickkuh
5 months ago#10
You can't do that even for the Nes Remix on 3ds...that's sucks.
chinese retro gamer,mortal kombat collector
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why can't you map buttons on VC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived