How to manage your digital games on Nintendo consoles (especially 3DS)?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. How to manage your digital games on Nintendo consoles (especially 3DS)?
(message deleted)

User Info: GrimPhantasia

GrimPhantasia
2 months ago#42
Even with Sony and Microsoft officially out of the country until 2009, we had plenty of stores with imported products. A PS2 could be purchased for R$ 600, which was around US$ 300 at that time, already modded to run pirate games. There are still some stores which import consoles like that. You can get Nintendo products that way. However, it costs around two times what they should cost. Particularly, now with dollar being so expensive I think that risking import stuff is more viable than buying from imported goods stores. Nowadays stores charge a lot for both official or imported products.

User Info: Meteordragon10

Meteordragon10
2 months ago#43
Wow. Are you saying your stores basically allow pirated software or that they simply do not check for such things when selling them...or both? Sounds kind of shady...in a way.

Hm, I guess so.
3DS Friend Code: 2921-9132-1786 (3DS Name: Kratos), Region: NA/US
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.
(message deleted)

GrimPhantasia
2 months ago#45
Yes, I am saying exactly that. Imported goods stores allow pirated software and they know it. Sometimes they pirate software/hardware themselves.

Meteordragon10
2 months ago#46
That's...pretty interesting. I'm kind of surprised Sony and Microsoft are okay with selling things there if those kinds of stores exist in the area. But...I guess they do it for the money and the money alone.
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.

GrimPhantasia
2 months ago#47
You know... Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo pretended to be totally against piracy and to make all efforts to hinder it, but they know that piracy helped to sell a lot of Wii's, PS2's, 360's, DS's, PSP's and so on...

Meteordragon10
2 months ago#48
Piracy has its ups and downs for companies, yes. They view them as mostly negative though.

Piracy might not be so bad if people didn't abuse the crap out of it. For instance, if one used piracy to test out games before they buy them, deleted the pirated copies, and then went and bought the games they found appealing (which is somewhat similar to what demos are used for, but there aren't demos for all the games.) then it might not be looked down upon so much. If everyone did this, piracy would actually be helping the companies get more sales. Of course, one could argue that pirating in this way also gives you too much information, and may hurt sales by allowing the person to know whether or not they want the game immediately, instead of purchasing it and hoping its good (like how it was back in the Gameboy-Gamecube days for me). Basically, it would hurt sales by making people less stupid and prone to buy a game they may or may not like...which while great for consumers, hurts companies sales a bit. Not really sure where I want to stand on that one to be honest.

Unfortunately, there are a ton of people that abuse the ability to get free games for various reasons. I've heard people say that they believe all games should be entirely free (basically all the people who work hard to create games and spend money on development costs and other things get nothing for their efforts) and they continue to steal games and never pay for them. Then there's people who do it out of revenge against a company for various reasons... These are the types that really hurt the companies and their sales, and likely why piracy is so looked down upon.

While people can use it to help the companies, most people unfortunately abuse piracy and the company loses profits due to this, so they will never see it as a good thing (imo)

Now, for your particular problem with the high tax rate and companies charging an arm and a leg for systems and games, I can "kinda" see why they allow piracy over there. Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about it beyond that though. Are companies really just being greedy and trying to extort foreign countries, or is it possible there something else at play here that we don't know about which may force them to have to charge more for their systems? I'd like to know the answer to that one day...
(message deleted)
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. How to manage your digital games on Nintendo consoles (especially 3DS)?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived