Im really dumb, I own Chrono Trigger, but keep playing kemco rpgs instead

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Im really dumb, I own Chrono Trigger, but keep playing kemco rpgs instead

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
5 months ago#21
If only i could play Chrono Cross.
Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

User Info: Mediocre_Dunce

Mediocre_Dunce
5 months ago#22
lol did you play Grinsia?

God, that was pretty terrible.
That some nice sweet juicy gigatosis!
Mario Kart 8 HD, 4.9 GIGS! 500 hour game! Do the math!
- awesomenintendo

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
5 months ago#23
_Dog posted...
iMURDAu posted...
Why would you ever pass up playing Chrono Trigger out of fear and just play crap rpg maker Kemco games instead? Life is too short to make bad decisions like that.

There's nothing complicated about Chrono Trigger. It's pretty linear. The time travel is a story device. You start out in one time period and eventually visit others and when it's time to visit another you'll be made aware. Later in the game you can do side quests that affect the different time periods but there's no way to ruin anything or pass a point of no return.

You need to play it and enjoy the art, music, and story. Whatever you're getting out of Kemco rpgs is like eating spoonfuls of sugar granules when a world class bakery is in the next room.

Have you ever played the Kemco RPG's? Be honest.

I played some Grinsia. That was enough.

Also yeah you can watch the endings on youtube but I didn't think of that because I watched at least 4 or 5 of them irl because there was no youtube when the game came out. So yeah just get the best ending and watch the rest. 25 hours or so. There ya go.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
5 months ago#24
Spacefrisian posted...
If only i could play Chrono Cross.

You feelin' suicidal or something? That game elevated bad design and storytelling to a new level. Heck, even FF8 is more even, ain't that freaky!
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
5 months ago#25
The sad thing is I thought Grinsia is one of the better Kemco games.

It's borderline mediocre at best, but at least it's simple. Some Kemco games, like Revenant Saga, are written like they are grand epics with deep themes, but come off as silly and pretentious.

But Chrono Cross is one of my favorite games of all time, so what do I know?

User Info: TheZuperHero

TheZuperHero
5 months ago#26
Seacliff217 posted...

Really? Interesting. I'm in the "Chrono Trigger has no sequel" camp, so out of curiosity - what parts elevate that game for you? I really want to know.
Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI (DS), Etrian Odyssey Untold, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pokemon Ultra Sun, ARMS
3DS FC: 4167-4549-4028 NNID: TotalJakeout

Seacliff217
5 months ago#27
TheZuperHero posted...
Seacliff217 posted...

Really? Interesting. I'm in the "Chrono Trigger has no sequel" camp, so out of curiosity - what parts elevate that game for you? I really want to know.

I like them both about equally, just for different reasons.

In Cross's case, I admit there are way too many shallow characters (lol, Fungi). But out of the entire cast there's just as many characters, if not a bit more, that I think are just as good as Trigger's characters. (Kid, Fargo, Radius, Glenn, Karsh).

Story is convoluted, but that's kind of my thing. At least it's not like Kingdom Hearts, which feels like they keep making up crap as they go along. With this Cross it was fun for me to piece together the plot throughout multiple playthroughs as I try to unlock all the characters anyways via new game +.

Also points for having Serge relevant to the plot and other character's backstories, unlike Crono who's entire motivation is that he sees a vhs tape and thinks 'Lol, couldn't handle a dozen guards a few minutes ago, but I could totally take on that monster that destroys the world'.

And of course, the presentation is top notch for the PS1, IMO.

I'm not expecting you to understand, I have friends who hate the game and I understand why they do. Sometimes I don't understand why I like it so much myself, but I do think it's aa good game.

TheZuperHero
5 months ago#28
Seacliff217 posted...
TheZuperHero posted...
Seacliff217 posted...

I like them both about equally, just for different reasons.

In Cross's case, I admit there are way too many shallow characters (lol, Fungi). But out of the entire cast there's just as many characters, if not a bit more, that I think are just as good as Trigger's characters. (Kid, Fargo, Radius, Glenn, Karsh).

Story is convoluted, but that's kind of my thing. At least it's not like Kingdom Hearts, which feels like they keep making up crap as they go along. With this Cross it was fun for me to piece together the plot throughout multiple playthroughs as I try to unlock all the characters anyways via new game +.

Also points for having Serge relevant to the plot and other character's backstories, unlike Crono who's entire motivation is that he sees a vhs tape and thinks 'Lol, couldn't handle a dozen guards five minutes ago, but I could totally take on that monster that destroys the world'.

And of course, the presentation is top notch for the PS1, IMO.

I'm not expecting you to understand, I have friends who hate the game and I understand why they do. Sometimes I don't understand why I like it so much myself, but I do think it's aa good game.

Eh, hate is a strong word. I just think Cross would have been better off as its own thing, instead of trying to tack itself onto something else. But I understand your points, maybe it's worth revisiting on my end. I'll try and be a little more open minded. Thanks for the insight!
Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI (DS), Etrian Odyssey Untold, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pokemon Ultra Sun, ARMS

Seacliff217
5 months ago#29
TheZuperHero posted...
Eh, hate is a strong word. I just think Cross would have been better off as its own thing, instead of trying to tack itself onto something else. But I understand your points, maybe it's worth revisiting on my end. I'll try and be a little more open minded. Thanks for the insight!

My only issue with the 'better as it's own thing' mindset towards the game is that so much of Cross's world is the aftermath's of events shown in Trigger.

However, if it's a proper sequel you are looking for, I highly recommend finding a fan translation of the Radical Dreamers VN if you haven't already. It's a streamlined version of Cross's premise, has better writing, and has more direct links to Trigger.

TheZuperHero
5 months ago#30
Seacliff217 posted...
My only issue with the 'better as it's own thing' mindset towards the game is that so much of Cross's world is the aftermath's of events shown in Trigger.

Yeah, I get that. And it started out much closer to Radical Dreamers, too, IIRC. But as it drifted further and further from that original design I think they should have just cut ties altogether. As it stands, the attachment seems so weak that it just ends up hurting the game IMO. Like it was tied to source material it didn't really do justice.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Im really dumb, I own Chrono Trigger, but keep playing kemco rpgs instead

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived