I'm planning on upgrading my SD card for more size, but I've got questions.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. I'm planning on upgrading my SD card for more size, but I've got questions.

User Info: HorizonN7

HorizonN7
4 months ago#1
First, are there any problems that could come from doing it? I don't want to lose any of my videos, pictures or game memory. Any tutorials how to do it?

Lastly, what's the most size I could get for my 3DS. Its a 3DS XL(not New3DS) btw. TY in advance.

User Info: Kneesock

Kneesock
4 months ago#2
As long as the data is going to the same system, there is no issue.
A simple copy/paste to transfer.

32GB officially, anything above must be formatted to FAT32.
Paliclan
http://www.336gamereviews.com/ http://www.weebsweekly.com/

User Info: TendercrispBCR

TendercrispBCR
4 months ago#3
Small note I never see anyone mention, if you have a 128gb or larger sd card it can cause some problems with screen mapping on GBA VC games - sometimes a little part of the top of the screen will display at the bottom, and it'll be off center. This seems to only effect a few games, though, so it's probably fine.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

HorizonN7
4 months ago#4
one more question. Is there a limit to the amount of blocks(found on the data managment screen) for the 3DS XL? Like I said, I don't have the New 3DS

User Info: Inhuman-Art

Inhuman-Art
4 months ago#5
I've a 256, for about a year now, no problems. Also a 64gb and a 128. Partition it and you'll be okay, drag and drop and rename the folder headers to what they "used to be" meaning whatever the origin cards names are and there isn't really anything past drag and drop and renaming the folder. It will be a long alphanumeric string folder name. The new card needs to be formatted in the system, pulled out, all contents from the old popped into the new, and rename that folder. Pop it in and you're good. Read above for the fat32 and settings you'll need in the partition wizard. There are guides out there with photos and the program as well.
Conceptual Artist and Avid Gamer

User Info: Inhuman-Art

Inhuman-Art
4 months ago#6
HorizonN7 posted...
one more question. Is there a limit to the amount of blocks(found on the data managment screen) for the 3DS XL? Like I said, I don't have the New 3DS

No it will display a humongous amount it blocks because that's what's open. 32 gb is all that was really available at the time the system released so now we are going into 500gb, I'm sure that would work fine too.

Also I've never experienced the gba thing above. I own all of them and have booted all of them. Maybe re-download or get a better SD card? At least class 10
Conceptual Artist and Avid Gamer

HorizonN7
4 months ago#7
Inhuman-Art posted...
I've a 256, for about a year now, no problems. Also a 64gb and a 128. Partition it and you'll be okay, drag and drop and rename the folder headers to what they "used to be" meaning whatever the origin cards names are and there isn't really anything past drag and drop and renaming the folder. It will be a long alphanumeric string folder name. The new card needs to be formatted in the system, pulled out, all contents from the old popped into the new, and rename that folder. Pop it in and you're good. Read above for the fat32 and settings you'll need in the partition wizard. There are guides out there with photos and the program as well.

What does partition mean? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this type of stuff. Got any tutorials videos just in case? I'm more of a visual learner, you know what I mean.

User Info: Quill

Quill
4 months ago#8
Go to support.nintendo.com for information on how to transfer data between SD cards. If you correctly follow the instructions, you won't lose any data.

If you're looking for SD card recommendations, there is an official 16gb Nintendo 3DS SD card that you can purchase on store.nintendo.com for a good price.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
4 months ago#9
HorizonN7 posted...

The limit is the same for all models, original and new. So far, 512 GB cards work and we suspect 2 TB to be the maximum limit of card size, but no cards that big exist.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. I'm planning on upgrading my SD card for more size, but I've got questions.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived