Why there are not many SNES games on 3DS (Virtual Console)?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why there are not many SNES games on 3DS (Virtual Console)?

User Info: towerofpower

towerofpower
4 months ago#11
The SNES Classic was probably built with the FX chip in mind. The 3DS wasn't.

User Info: The_Orignal

The_Orignal
4 months ago#12
towerofpower posted...

SNES Classic Edition doesn't have the FX chip, the inside is basically almost the same as the NES Classic Edition.

User Info: CAPSAR

CAPSAR
4 months ago#13
SuperSuikoden posted...
Even their first games there are missing. Weird.

What 3DS are you using? If it's an original that's why you can't find them, not compatible, it only works with the New 3DS system

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
4 months ago#14
The_Orignal posted...
towerofpower posted...

SNES Classic Edition doesn't have the FX chip, the inside is basically almost the same as the NES Classic Edition.

No, but the hardware has enough power to emulate the FX chip.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
4 months ago#15
They probably stopped because it wasn't pulling in as much money as they hoped (since it's limited to the N consoles), and also to start pushing people to buy the Switch.

The REAL mystery here is why the WiiU is still getting VC.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: KillerKhan420

KillerKhan420
4 months ago#16
Lol "super fx chip", if that's a reason then it's a really stupid one that gullible fanboys accepted. I guess any Genesis game that's been emulated shouldn't work because blast processing wasn't build in.

Nintendo are lazy f***s when it comes to their online, there's absolutely no reason every VC since the Wii should be so small. Why the hell is mzm on the Wii u and not the 3ds? It makes 0 sense.
"I know how the business works because I'm a wrestling fan"-hulkhogan1

User Info: The_Orignal

The_Orignal
4 months ago#17
bungiefan posted...
The_Orignal posted...
towerofpower posted...

So your telling me that the *new* 3DS XL is not powerful enough to run the FX chip???

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
4 months ago#18
KillerKhan420 posted...
Lol "super fx chip", if that's a reason then it's a really stupid one that gullible fanboys accepted. I guess any Genesis game that's been emulated shouldn't work because blast processing wasn't build in.

Nintendo are lazy f***s when it comes to their online, there's absolutely no reason every VC since the Wii should be so small. Why the hell is mzm on the Wii u and not the 3ds? It makes 0 sense.

SNES had a ton of expansion chips that were in a handful of games, that need to be emulated to work right. Star Ocean was a notorious one, using the chip (I believe it was called SDD1) to compress graphics to fit in what was the largest cartridge size of the console. Emulating that chip took a long time, I don't remember it being achieved until 2004, when 2 newer consoles had been released from Nintendo. The SuperFX chip is a thing that enabled 3D graphics on the SNES and also special transformations of sprites, and several games used it. It has to be emulated, and it takes additional CPU power to do so. 3DS has very little CPU power to spare when running the SNES VC. Games that require specific chips require an emulator that supports those chips, and the SNES VC emulator for the 3DS doesn't support all of them. The Wii and WiiU ones do, but not the 3DS one.

It isn't being gullible, it is being informed and knowing the actual specs of the hardware inside the cartridges. It has been verified by hackers injecting the games into the official VC, that the 3DS doesn't support the processor, so the game doesn't run or runs with glitched graphics, depending on which of these games you inject.

The_Orignal posted...
bungiefan posted...
The_Orignal posted...
towerofpower posted...

So your telling me that the *new* 3DS XL is not powerful enough to run the FX chip???

Not with the official VC emulator. Unofficial emulators have been able to emulate the chip, but there are performance hits elsewhere. Nintendo refuses to compromise performance on their emulator, so they just don't release certain games if they won't run acceptably.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: McBick

McBick
4 months ago#19
Because Nintendo doesn't like money.

User Info: ParagonCrossing

ParagonCrossing
4 months ago#20
KillerKhan420 posted...
I guess any Genesis game that's been emulated shouldn't work because blast processing wasn't build in.

lmao because blast processing is anything but a buzzword unlike an actual piece of hardware like the super fx chip
Smash, Pokemon, Animal Crossing
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why there are not many SNES games on 3DS (Virtual Console)?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived