Ergonomics questions for New 3DS vs New 3DS XL vs New 2DSXL

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Ergonomics questions for New 3DS vs New 3DS XL vs New 2DSXL

User Info: TrenoNeoKnight

TrenoNeoKnight
3 months ago#1
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. In brief, I am in the market for a member of the New Nintendo 3DS family, and I had a question or two. I did some reading on hand cramping, strain, and spacing, as well as watched a couple of video reviews, but did not get quite a definitive answer.

I had an original 3DS for over five years. I have smaller hands, so the original fit me well. I loved playing it and never felt cramped or tired from playing it, except in one scenario. I would have some issues with strain (maybe a bit of cramping) if I used the L button and circle pad at the same time (part of this is due to nerve damage in my left hand). My question is, would any of the newer models provide more spacing or better ergonomics for that action? I have tried a couple of used models in store, but Gamestop resets them, so I can't really play a game to test out.

Thank you again for your time.
It's amazing how people can reduce the cause of a problem down to a singularity.

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
3 months ago#2
I don't know the full answer to your question but I can tell you this: I've never had problems with any type of controller in the past but with the New 3DS XL, I have the exact same as you do (basically it's bad to play games that require pressing "R" or "L").

User Info: TrenoNeoKnight

TrenoNeoKnight
3 months ago#3
Thank you for your response. Given my hand size and issues, I am opting to buy a refurbished new 3ds from Nintendo directly.
It's amazing how people can reduce the cause of a problem down to a singularity.

User Info: loeher182

loeher182
3 months ago#4
I have all 3 versions of the "new" 3DSes so here's what I think:

1) Definitely stay away from the N3DSXL as it is the heaviest. It will tire your smaller hands.

2) Regular N3DS is a perfect match for the form factor you're used to, however I believe you should give the New 2DS XL a shot as it is unbelievably light, and have the most accessible shoulder buttons. I find it the most ergonomic model in the lineup. I have average-sized hands, however.

Also, I think 3DS gaming benefits greatly from larger screens.

In the end I hope you can test each model in person. Good luck!
Currently playing: Final Fantasy VI Advance, Dragon Quest VII, Dragon Quest XI, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Zelda BotW

User Info: ZodiacSoldier

ZodiacSoldier
3 months ago#5
Honestly as a guy with bigger hands, I have to use a comfort grip attachment or else my hand would start cramping withing an hour. Some of the ones I can suggest are:

New 3DS XL:
https://www.amazon.com/Gadget-Coating-Nintendo-New-3DS-LL/dp/B013JDH8J0/
https://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Gadget-Rubber-Coating-Black-Nintendo/dp/B01KWUNRV6/

New 2DS XL:
https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Comfort-Nintendo-Accessories-Crystal/dp/B075Z6PBNV/

The one for the regular New 3DS (don't own) are harder to find and are like going for $70 bucks so probably not as worth it.
PSN: ZodiacSoldierJL // 3DS FC: 3797-9082-8623 // 2DS FC: 0276-2240-8971
Switch FC: SW-6184-3549-7403 // FE Fates CC: 14211-52887-12563-84373
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Ergonomics questions for New 3DS vs New 3DS XL vs New 2DSXL

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived