• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. What is required to send top screen 3DS video signal to HDTV?

User Info: numberrrr

numberrrr
4 years ago#1
Is there a way to connect 3DS to HDTV so the top screen displays on HDTV, while using the 3DS for the bottom screen? I seen some places display one or both screens on a 720 HDTV before, but dunno if a dev kit is required.

User Info: chikaritachu

chikaritachu
4 years ago#2
What I'd like to know is if this is possible to do without losing the 3D effect, assuming you are using a 3D TV of course. Then again the image would possibly look quite bad being stretched out so much with the low resolution.
You know, some people use something called a DOOR to get in and out of their houses. Toad - Super Mario RPG

numberrrr
4 years ago#3
chikaritachu posted...
What I'd like to know is if this is possible to do without losing the 3D effect, assuming you are using a 3D TV of course. Then again the image would possibly look quite bad being stretched out so much with the low resolution.

On PS3, I pick widescreen for Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and the image quality still looks great for a 480p game resized to 720p display. 4:3 or 16:9, 3DS top screen on HDTV would look better than the 3DS itself for 3DS games that use the top screen for traveling. I don't use 3D, so not a concern. Bigger screen is better. 8D

User Info: Descole

Descole
4 years ago#4
It's possible. I know a guy that did it. But he was a computer programmer, and knew a lot about electronics. He went to people's houses to fix electronics.

If you aren't really good with electronics and don't know what you're doing (the fact that you're asking this on a message board indicates that), then you'll probably mess up your 3DS if you try to do this. Basically, you have to open up your 3DS and take the things that send the image to the 3DS top screen and connect them to your TV, so the image that would be on the 3DS top screen is now on your TV. Doing this, you can play 3DS games on your TV.

But this is not recommended by Nintendo, and if you don't know what your doing, you'll mess up your 3DS, and possibly your TV too.
Indeed... My name is Descole. I am an artistic man of science, with rather lofty goals.

numberrrr
4 years ago#5
Descole posted...
It's possible. I know a guy that did it. But he was a computer programmer, and knew a lot about electronics. He went to people's houses to fix electronics.

If you aren't really good with electronics and don't know what you're doing (the fact that you're asking this on a message board indicates that), then you'll probably mess up your 3DS if you try to do this. Basically, you have to open up your 3DS and take the things that send the image to the 3DS top screen and connect them to your TV, so the image that would be on the 3DS top screen is now on your TV. Doing this, you can play 3DS games on your TV.

But this is not recommended by Nintendo, and if you don't know what your doing, you'll mess up your 3DS, and possibly your TV too.

That sucks, they should have made 3DS like the sega nomad.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
4 years ago#6
There are only two methods, and they both display both screens on the TV and on the console.

You either ship your system off to get a video output cable installed (also called a capture card for some reason, even though it doesn't capture video, just output it through standard cables). That costs about $200 and the waiting list is currently long. The only provider I can remember the name of that does it is a shop in Japan called KatsuKitty. It works with anything that shows on the screens. They solder in video cables and cut a hole in the casing for the cables to exit the system.

The other option is against the forum rules and requires a modded N3DS and specific software to stream the video signal over wifi to a PC using a program called NTR. It only works with N3DS, not O3DS, as it needs the extra RAM and CPU power. It also only works with 3DS software, not DS software or GBA Virtual Console.

Nintendo has no way except on special development consoles to hook up to a TV. PSP had no way either on its own without unofficial software. It isn't a common thing for a handheld to have a TV output, and until they make a TV-connected device to run the games it doesn't happen. PlayStation TV is the device for Vita stuff, and GameBoy Player or Super GameBoy was Nintendo's answer for their handhelds, before Virtual Console. 3DS isn't likely to have a Virtual Console until it dies, if it ever does because of the 3D effect causing trouble.

Descole's option isn't quite correct, as the 3DS screens are 240p. You need something to upscale the video, which is what the circuitry and wiring that the first option installs do, and why it costs so much.

numberrrr
4 years ago#7
PSP can connect to HDTV using a special cable that a store used to sell. it's not perfect, but it's easy to use.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
4 years ago#8
numberrrr posted...
PSP can connect to HDTV using a special cable that a store used to sell. it's not perfect, but it's easy to use.

Model 2000 or 3000, I think, but not 1000.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. What is required to send top screen 3DS video signal to HDTV?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A