• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Grayed out DSiWare icons with gray crosses??? With pics.

User Info: lopingg

lopingg
6 years ago#1
Hi everyone!

I noticed this ominous sight in the DSiWare section of the 3DS data management today. Some DSiWare games look strange, with gray crosses displayed over their icons. I've never seen this before and last time I checked (mabye a month or two back) no games had these gray crosses over them. I guess it happened in conjunction with an update or something.

http://imgur.com/a/2WgMC

As you can see, the gray ones have been automatically neatly sorted in the beginning of the list. No other games looked like this other than the ones in the pictures. I've tried transfering Zelda Four Swords Anniversary back and forth between the SD card and the 3DS without problems and it was fully playable with all its save data intact.

I can't find any information on this. Does anyone know what this means? My only theory as of this moment is that these games won't be transferable between 3DS systems anymore when performing a complete data transfer, even though it would seem rather pointless to block a fraction of the games out like this, noticeably 18th Gate which is a relatively new game. I'm happy that everything seems to work as usual, but this still bugs me a bit.

So, any ideas?

User Info: Ozzed

Ozzed
6 years ago#2
After looking for a bit online and not finding anything, I found this on the Nintendo DSiWare Data section, page 22, of the Settings app manual at the bottom of the page:

If you delete your Nintendo eshop account or Nintendo Network ID, X will be displayed on data that is no longer usable.

That's the only thing I can find on it though. Did you recently do a system transfer or try to change NNIDs? Maybe the transfer went wrong if so, seen cases where transfers only partially completed if one system lost power. Everything I've seen says removing NNID once linked is bad, though guess its not that as you've only lost DSiWare from the looks of things. Sounds like you'll need to call Nintendo to get the account fixed.
3DS FC: 1461-6202-0061

User Info: Akira1256

Akira1256
6 years ago#3
Are those games currently stored on the SD card? As DSiWare is only playable from system memory, that could be why they're appearing 'disabled.'
My New Years' resolution? 160x120x32. Everyone will probably find me rather vague.

lopingg
6 years ago#4
Ozzed: Great detective work! Interestingly enough though, the official explanation doesn't seem apply to me at all. I have only ever had one NNID, which have been transfered between systems about a year ago without fail. These "gray games" showed up just recently and the only thing I've done with my ID recently that I could think of is link it to a Wii U, but that should be completely irrelevant.

Also, the most peculiar fact is that I bought the grayed game 18th gate TODAY. That was how I discovered this in the first place, when I transfered it to the SD card (the games are only gray on the SD card, never when placed in the system memory). Then there is the fact that the games are fully playable with the save data intact when transfered to the system memory, shining with color and without gray crosses once again. It's only when placed on the SD card that they revert to gray.

I'm also given the option to redownload the affected games from the eshop, like with any other game, so the system definitely recognizes them as linked to my ID or at least to my eshop account. I tried redownloading a game and moving it over to the SD card, writing over the gray data, but it still shows up the same way in the end.

To answer Akira1256, whether the games are stored on the SD card or not shouldn't affect it, since I always keep my DSiWare games on the SD card as a routine except for when I want to pick something out and play. The breakpoint between gray games and unaffected ones can clearly be seen.

This is very strange. Cool that you managed to find an official explanation to it, but weird that it doesn't seem to apply to or affect me at all. At least not what I know of. Worst case scenario, I'll lose those games in my next transfer to a New 3DS, but it just doesn't make sense why 10+ games suddenly would be displayed as "lost", still being playable and on top of that one which I bought on the very same day. Anyone else with a similar experience?

User Info: KetsuekiBara

KetsuekiBara
6 years ago#5
lopingg posted...
(the games are only gray on the SD card, never when placed in the system memory).

Like Akira1256 said, DSiware cannot be played from the sd card. Which is probably why they only have the X while on the sd card, and not in system memory.

User Info: TendaShy

TendaShy
6 years ago#6
I've never noticed that though when I looked at my dsiware games on the sd card...was it a recent change in the firmware to display them that way, perhaps?
NNID: TendaShy
Currently playing: Super Mario 3D World - Currently wanting: Majora's Mask 3D

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
6 years ago#7
I'm running 9.4.0-21 and I'm not seeing the grey Xes on my DSiWare on the SD card.

lopingg
6 years ago#8
Like Akira1256 said, DSiware cannot be played from the sd card. Which is probably why they only have the X while on the sd card, and not in system memory

Please, to avoid any misinformation here, look at the pictures. ALL of my DSiWare games have always been on the SD card, with the only exception being the one I'm playing at the moment. As you can see in the pictures, the SD card is displayed and in the third picture the breakpoint between the grayed games and the rest of the game is present. This is only affecting 12 games of mine and rest of the games (beginning in picture #3), all on the SD card, looks normal.

And no, none of the games can be booted from the SD card indeed. That fact is irrelevant as it goes for both gray and normal games alike.

I'm running 9.4.0-21 and I'm not seeing the grey Xes on my DSiWare on the SD card.

Interesting. Do you happen to own any of my gray games? I'm curious to if it's a general combination of firmware + specific games or if this is an isolated event. I have a European 3DS btw. Could be a difference.

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
6 years ago#9
Zenonia and Four Swords were normal when moved to the SD card (including when deleted from the memory). They were at the top of the list, but that doesn't mean anything to me when Cave Story is 3 spots above Brain Age Express: Sudoku.

User Info: ecco6t9

ecco6t9
6 years ago#10
Probably just another "You cannot play this without transferring to System Memory" reminder.
Time Magazine's Man Of The Year 2006.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Grayed out DSiWare icons with gray crosses??? With pics.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A