• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Are we going to ignore the blurry NES VC?
TendaShy 7 years ago#31
So I'm supposed to care about something zoomed in on my PC screen that I can't see playing on my 3DS?
Nah.
NNID: TendaShy
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/TendaShy
LethalX08 7 years ago#32
jayare55 posted...
sweatywalrus posted...
My eyes must be messed up. I bought Mega Man IV from VC and thought it looked crisp (though Game Boy's Super Mario Land 2 seemed mega blurry).

On a 2DS, if that makes any difference.

The GameBoy emulator has a feature Nintendo barely wants you to know about:
Hold SELECT + START after you choose the game from the 3DS home menu, and keep holding til the game starts. It should start in original, crisp, perfect resolution.
NES virtual console doesn't have this option sadly, but it works for DS games too.

Spade21X posted...
My VC games look fine. I think it may be your 3DS TC, you should get it fixed.

You are not looking at it well enough. Do you have MegaMan on NES? Any of the MegaMan games? just open the start menu in one of those games and look at the energy bars, they should look messed up.

LethalX08 posted...
Only NES game that kinda looked iffy on 3DS was Megaman 1. Everything else looked fairly clear & sharp.

Every NES game has this problem. EVERY SINGLE ONE. It's the NES emulator of the 3DS that causes it. Any other emulated system, like GameBoy or Game Gear doesn't have this problem. (As long as you hold start + select when booting GameBoy games)

So you say but MM1 looked like ass while MM2 looked far far far better. The vasline effect i saw in MM1 i did not see in MM2 nor did i see it elsewhere. Games on VC don't look as bad as the pic you supplied nor have i seen the image on the left on an actual NES console, only on a emulator.
jayare55 7 years ago#33
Starwars4J posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dzrCAfU3A

Nintendo should have a few people like that working for them. *sigh*
jayare55 7 years ago#34
The Blob2000 posted...
So I'm supposed to care about something zoomed in on my PC screen that I can't see playing on my 3DS?
Nah.

You're probably using a small 3DS, not the XL. If you are, I understand that. I played on the regular 3DS and the blurryness wasn't obvious to me.
You're still supposed to care, yes, you need to have a good eye and know what you're paying for sometimes! Cause if my assumption is true about your regular sized 3DS, you MIGHT play in an XL later, and will not be happy. If you DO have an XL then you just don't care enough, is all.

LethalX08 posted...So you say but MM1 looked like ass while MM2 looked far far far better. The vasline effect i saw in MM1 i did not see in MM2 nor did i see it elsewhere. Games on VC don't look as bad as the pic you supplied nor have i seen the image on the left on an actual NES console, only on a emulator.

Really??? MM2 looked far far far better? Man... for you to say something like that, it must have been very noticeable...
In theory, that's impossible, cause all NES games use the same emulator. But in reality I don't have MegaMan 2 to disprove this fact. Nor have I played on your same set up.
You could just sharpen the TV settings and increase the brightness and it WILL look far better, but I don't want to have to do that every time I play NES VC.

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSxDodknEJQXi5

This is a miiverse pic of MegaMan 2 though, and it looks like the same blurriness and darkness than the NES VC games I do have on my Wii U.
TendaShy 7 years ago#35
I understand that it bothers you and likely others that do not feel the 4:3 stretch is worth it. I'm all for having Nintendo add an option to output NES games at 256x240, but I really do think you're making it appear worse by zooming it and trying to convince people on this forum that it looks that bad when the pixels and display are small enough to hide it well enough to be acceptable to most. I've seen people say they wish VC games stretched to fill the screen entirely, actually.

If I still had my old CRT TV and an NES to hook up to it, I would even compare it to my 3DS just to get a true feel for how off it is, but it's one of those things where Nintendo wants you to play it in the aspect the original game was presented back in the day. That's the best approach even if there is some distortion as a result of providing that aspect ratio. I believe Wii VC did the same thing. As for Wii U, I own EarthBound and Super Metroid on Wii U and both look very good to my eye and there is a 4:3 presentation with those games as well.
jayare55 7 years ago#36
The Blob2000 posted...
I understand that it bothers you and likely others that do not feel the 4:3 stretch is worth it. I'm all for having Nintendo add an option to output NES games at 256x240, but I really do think you're making it appear worse by zooming it and trying to convince people on this forum that it looks that bad when the pixels and display are small enough to hide it well enough to be acceptable to most. I've seen people say they wish VC games stretched to fill the screen entirely, actually.

If I still had my old CRT TV and an NES to hook up to it, I would even compare it to my 3DS just to get a true feel for how off it is, but it's one of those things where Nintendo wants you to play it in the aspect the original game was presented back in the day. That's the best approach even if there is some distortion as a result of providing that aspect ratio. I believe Wii VC did the same thing. As for Wii U, I own EarthBound and Super Metroid on Wii U and both look very good to my eye and there is a 4:3 presentation with those games as well.

Yup! SNES Virtual Console is done perfectly. You see?? That is all i'm asking for.
It doesn't have to be extremely blurry or dark. SNES VC is only blurried a very slight amount, and the colors are not altered. Which is what I did in a MegaMan pic I uploaded earlier:
http://s5.postimg.org/pk9xjk8jr/Mega_Man1_Wii_U_sample2.jpg

So, why must NES look different than SNES, if both looked just as good back in the day?
Maybe minor differences, but this 3DS / Wii U filtering / stretching is NO minor stuff.

For comparison:
SNES VC: http://s5.postimg.org/x6zcf377r/10857238_10152528480207066_2156174063006780029_o.jpg

NES VC: http://s5.postimg.org/phq3k9hdz/Mega_Man_NES_Wii_U.jpg

In the SNES VC, it is sharp enough to please me, and slightly blurry enough to please those that like 4:3.
TendaShy 7 years ago#37
The color issue has to do with how the emulator sets the palette, and I've read that this is something that varies since it's hard to determine what the authentic look should be (since everyone would just alter their color settings on televisions making it even harder to say what we should all use today).
jayare55 7 years ago#38
The Blob2000 posted...
The color issue has to do with how the emulator sets the palette, and I've read that this is something that varies since it's hard to determine what the authentic look should be (since everyone would just alter their color settings on televisions making it even harder to say what we should all use today).

That is reaaaaaally unlikely. The palette of the NES may vary in emulators, but it has NEVER been this dark.
If you work on a NES emulator for the Wii U, whats one of the first things to do?
Well, connect the NES and the Wii U to the same TV and compare! Right? Isn't that as basic as it gets? Well, if you do this, it will look VERY different.
My NES looks sharper and brighter on the same HD TV in which the Wii U's NES looks blurry and faded.

I'm not OK with people that just disregard this as unimportant.
At work, I strive for perfection. Whatever little complaints my clients have, I make sure everyone is satisfied. If I don't know what they're talking about, I sit with them to understand what their complaints may be and even show them the proper words to refer to things.
It can't be that Nintendo is just going to do a poor job of a NES Virtual Console that people around the world are playing right now, and leave it like that, when hard working people spend money on their games. Even if it was free, i'd complain. I do things for free too and accept complaints. I'm sure a lot of you are like that too.
Did you know that there's people that think VC games are too expensive at $5?
iMURDAu 7 years ago#39
Good night folks!
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Are we going to ignore the blurry NES VC?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A