• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Using 3D actually makes the 3DS have double the resolution?

User Info: soldjango

soldjango
6 years ago#11
Ah, gotcha. I was just confused because the topic title clearly mentioned the 3D aspect, so I was thinking "the heck is this guy talking about 2 screens for?"
360 Gamertag: Arcangel Legacy
It's a JRPG, meaning that the setting is in japan and stuff. -trodahawk

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
6 years ago#12
soldjango posted...
Ah, gotcha. I was just confused because the topic title clearly mentioned the 3D aspect, so I was thinking "the heck is this guy talking about 2 screens for?"

Hehe, no worries. I sometimes don't get the point out clear enough.
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

User Info: GLDanzego

GLDanzego
6 years ago#13
The 3DS's physical resolution is 240X800. That never changes. How many pixels you actually SEE with each eye (and what image they're showing) does change when you turn the 3D on. With the 3D on, each eye is seeing a 240x400 image. When your brain takes what each eye is seeing, assembles it and the "magic" has occurred, you're seeing what is effectively a 240x800 image.

With that said....

Even though you're actually seeing 240x800 pixels in 2D mode, it's effectively only a 240x400 image. The reason being is that the 3DS uses rectangular pixels, as opposed to standard square ones. This means that each pixel shape of the 3DS is the same height as a square pixel, but the width is half. However, along each horizontal row, each even numbered pixel is showing the same thing as the odd numbered one to its left, forming "partners" that effectively create a square pixel (so 1 and 2 are the same color, 3 and 4 are the same, etc all the way down the line to 799 and 800; each 2 identical rectangles form a square).

Concerning 3D and the effective resolution you see, that's a lot trickier. Sure, your brain is assembling what amounts to a 240x800 image (again, 240x400 for each eye), but the 3DS doesn't work by simply doubling an image. You're seeing two images- one with each eye- but they're slightly offset (the amount being determined by the intensity of the 3D). That's what creates the illusion of a 3D image. The "pixel partner" thing isn't happening anymore. You still are seeing a 240x800 image in all, but you can see MORE of the image than you can in 2D. Try adjusting the 3D slider back and forth while looking at a game (top down games like the new Zelda game or Ghost Recon work real well for this). You can actually see MORE of the picture to the sides, can't you? However, you're not seeing more physical pixels, you're just seeing more unique (non partnered) pixels.

It can be confusing, but understanding how the 3DS actually works is pretty cool, I think. Excuse my extended "nerd out session"! ;)

--

User Info: LaManoNeraII

LaManoNeraII
6 years ago#14
The 3DS has to screens on top, that's how it displays a 3D image. They don't "add together" their resolution. That's pretty dumb (no offense)

I will say, it seems some games enable some kind of anti-aliasing when you turn on 3D.
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009

User Info: GLDanzego

GLDanzego
6 years ago#15
LaManoNeraII posted...
The 3DS has to screens on top, that's how it displays a 3D image. They don't "add together" their resolution. That's pretty dumb (no offense)

Stating that the 3DS has two screens on top and that's how it displays a 3D image isn't really saying much. In fact, more than anything, it creates misinformation since it gives people the wrong impression as to how the 3D effect is actually produced.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Using 3D actually makes the 3DS have double the resolution?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A