• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is my top screen supposed to feel loose?
theatrical_cat 8 years ago#1
I got my 3DS XL back in April, and since the day I took it out of the box, the top screen has felt a tiny bit loose. Not too much, but it will flop around about a centimeter or so. It still functions just fine, and it hasn't broken or anything, but that is exactly what my old DS Lite did before the top screen become loose entirely and I do not want that ever again.

So is that a regular thing that all XLs do? And if not, should I contact Nintendo about it?
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.
SarcChigaimasu 8 years ago#2
Yeah they're all a little loose. Nothing to worry about my XL is the same I just bought it a week ago.
PC, Vive, OQ2, PSVR, PS5, PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PSV, PSP, XSX, X1, X360, Xbox, Switch, Wii U, 3DS, Wii, GC, N64, NES, DC, SAT, GEN
Retroxgamer0 8 years ago#3
only the XL model is loose, the regular 3DS isnt loose.
Kouji_Tamino 8 years ago#4
Yes, it's deliberate. The DS, the Lite model in particular, had problems with breaking hinges because they were too tight.
N3DS FC: 4811-7718-3216
Retroxgamer0 8 years ago#5
Kouji_Tamino posted...
Yes, it's deliberate. The DS, the Lite model in particular, had problems with breaking hinges because they were too tight.

that makes sense, they tried to prevent the same mistake.
tompound90 8 years ago#6
I have the same thing with mine too. Good to know its normal and not about to break in half!..although there is a tiny rattling sound when I shake it to get play coins, not sure what thats about?
PSN
grey54321
Retroxgamer0 8 years ago#7
tompound90 posted...
I have the same thing with mine too. Good to know its normal and not about to break in half!..although there is a tiny rattling sound when I shake it to get play coins, not sure what thats about?

thats the pedometer
keybladeXIII 8 years ago#8
I'm not liking the top screen compared to the old 3DS and DS Lite.

I'm usually really gentle with them and had no problems with the old 3DS and DS Lite. With the XL, I get really scared and cautious every time I open the damn thing because it's so stiff. Feels like it might snap off even if I open it slowly.

I'm just really OCD about it tho.
Retroxgamer0 8 years ago#9
they didnt worry about overtightening the 3ds because it didnt use matte, like the ds lite. matte can crack. they really didnt wanna repeat that mistake i guess.
MegaMettaur 8 years ago#10
Yes, the hinges have a little play. It's been that way since DSi. Even the original 3DS's top screen has a little bit of play. It's just not enough to cause any problems. If the top screen hinges didn't have any play, it would probably cause damage just from normal use. What I don't like about the 3DS XL is that loud clicking noise you get when the screen locks into place. First time I tried to open my 3DS XL past the first notch, it felt like I was gonna break it.
[Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra|Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 8GB|i7 9700K @4.8Ghz|32GB DDR4 3200 T Force Delta RGB|]
[Switch 4963-7986-1772|PSN: Roksor]
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is my top screen supposed to feel loose?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A