• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Merging memory cards?

User Info: ImDEVOed

ImDEVOed
6 years ago#1
Hello! I have two 2gb SD cards, and I just bought a 16gb card. Can I merge the two 2gb cards together to use on the 16gb card? All the files and folders are the same, so I'm afraid of overwriting some data. I did a search in this thread, but just found a joke topic...Thank you!
ps- I'm on a Mac, btw, but I do have bootcamp available if needed.

User Info: jakestar0306

jakestar0306
6 years ago#2
If the files are the same, then of course you'll have to overwrite some files. You can't have two of the exact same file on one card and expect them both to work.
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.

ImDEVOed
6 years ago#3
jakestar0306 posted...
If the files are the same, then of course you'll have to overwrite some files. You can't have two of the exact same file on one card and expect them both to work.

But each card has it's own games and saves on it. So if i replace the files, one will be deleted entirely, right? Or am I missing something. Sorry!

User Info: jedinat

jedinat
6 years ago#4
There's a file on each that keeps track of which games you have installed for that particular card... if you write over one with another it will screw things up, I'm pretty sure.

User Info: ares9090

ares9090
6 years ago#5
The 3DS manual already states that merging and "sorting" the memory card content is not possible
3DS FC Ares 3738 0446 1787 <> Black 2 FC Enyalio 0562 4621 2772
DW Collection: http://tinyurl.com/3qz7odk

jedinat
6 years ago#6
Here's what I think you need to do. Reinstall everything on the 16GB card. Then drag the contents of both SD cards--EXCEPT the "dbs" folder--onto the new card, overwriting everything and maintaining the file structures. I think that would work.

ImDEVOed
6 years ago#7
jedinat posted...
Here's what I think you need to do. Reinstall everything on the 16GB card. Then drag the contents of both SD cards--EXCEPT the "dbs" folder--onto the new card, overwriting everything and maintaining the file structures. I think that would work.

Ok, wait wait. I think you're onto something. Can you explain this like I'm a child? I really don't want to mess things up.

jedinat
6 years ago#8
ImDEVOed posted...
jedinat posted...

Ok, wait wait. I think you're onto something. Can you explain this like I'm a child? I really don't want to mess things up.

This is what I would do.

-With the 16GB card in, go to the eshop and redownload/install everything you need to, everything you had on both SD cards.
-Then, on your PC. drag the content of both your 2GB SD cards into separate folders onto your desktop or w/e the heck is the Mac equivalent.
-Put your 16GB card in your computer and--maintaining the folder structures--drag the everything except the "dbs" folder from one of your 2GB cards onto the 16GB card... as I said, making sure everything matches folder structure-wise. When promted, overwrite everything.
-Now do the same for the other 2GB card's folder.

I don't know if you had the same games/different saves or w/e on each card--you might have to do a little digging to figure out which folder/files belong to which game and overwrite one with the other in that case...

ImDEVOed
6 years ago#9
jedinat posted...

I don't know if you had the same games/different saves or w/e on each card--you might have to do a little digging to figure out which folder/files belong to which game and overwrite one with the other in that case...

This guy wins major points. As jedinat gave me great info and inspired me do to a little memory card searching.

This worked very well. The way I was able to get this fully done and working was the following:

-Copy both 2gb memory cards A and B onto computer desktop - put them in folders with different names
-Take 2gb card A and copy all contents to 16gb
-Put 16gb card in 3ds
-Re-download all games that were on 2gb memory card B
-Take 16gb memory card out of 3ds and put it back in computer
*THE HARD PART!*
Find all games in the "longstring folder" (lots of gibberish) of memory card B and look for folder called "title"
-In "title" there could be a couple of folders- what you're looking for is a folder with the same name as any games you have redownloaded onto your new (in my case 16gb) card
-FIre Emblem was called "000a0500"
-Expand sub-folder "data" and find "00000001.sav" and copy that .sav file to desktop
- Now go back to 16gb memory card and locate 000a0500 (it should be in the same place as it was in memory card B). Copy 00000001.sav and overwrite.

SUCCESS!! Game saves are restored! Repeat as necessary. Thank you everyone for saving me a HUGE headache.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Merging memory cards?
  • Topic Archived