They should remake Lost Levels, and make it genuinely dififcult.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. They should remake Lost Levels, and make it genuinely dififcult.

User Info: Baha05

Baha05
5 years ago#31
nonexistinghero posted...
Kinda. A lot of what they call 'fake difficulty' can't even be called difficulty. Using random combinations until you get the right one? That's not even difficulty. Bad controls? Most games are made to work with the controls they have. Rarely do bad controls actually make a game harder, simply because they don't work like they should. Even then, it's more of an annoyance, rather than difficulty. Bad camera angles? That's not even difficulty.

Trial and error is usually part of difficulty and it's not fake at all. You'll die a lot in Demon's and Dark Souls. Dying is part of exploring.

Really though... fake difficulty is a term that was invented by a whiny gamer that doesn't even know what difficulty is.

Not really as depnding on how things get thrown at you. Trail and Error is nice but that's what that is Trial and Error. Games with a FAke Difficulty rarely ever give you that chance. And if they do the game often has a flaw like enemies respawn so fast it's not worth killing them or a game gives you end level difficulty in that even the first level throws projectiles and enemies up the ass.

Then there are in the old days continues and lives which games might give you only so many lives and not continues or even one ups.

The term fake difficulty exists for such a reason, and that basic reason is when Trial and Error is not part of the game and thus a game is difficult for the sake of being difficult. It's one thing for enemies to take a few hits, it's another when you are playing a game where you have limited ammo, the enemy is always firing on you, and you have only one life, no continue, and no save or password.

User Info: NinjaKitsune

NinjaKitsune
5 years ago#32
lilpuddy31 posted...
ok, now that i've heard the arguements of "fake difficulty". It really just sounds like a cop-out for today's gamers that got spoiled and lazy. So basically it should be called 'Difficulty which I don't agree with and find rather inconvenient"

Kinda. A lot of what they call 'fake difficulty' can't even be called difficulty. Using random combinations until you get the right one? That's not even difficulty. Bad controls? Most games are made to work with the controls they have. Rarely do bad controls actually make a game harder, simply because they don't work like they should. Even then, it's more of an annoyance, rather than difficulty. Bad camera angles? That's not even difficulty.

Trial and error is usually part of difficulty and it's not fake at all. You'll die a lot in Demon's and Dark Souls. Dying is part of exploring.

Really though... fake difficulty is a term that was invented by a whiny gamer that doesn't even know what difficulty is.

You've also completely missed the point. Trial and error gameplay is fake because it has no skill involved, which you have completely failed to address. How often bad controls show up has nothing to do with them creating fake difficulty, so again, you have no point. Third, if bad camera angle or controls makes, for example, a jump harder, that's increasing the difficulty.

So in short, you did a bunch of handwaving and completely failed to come up with any relevant points.
Professor Snape definitely does not have pointed ears, and under no circumstances is he to be addressed as 'Spock'.

User Info: 2wingedangel

2wingedangel
5 years ago#33
nonexistinghero posted...
That couldn't be further from the truth. Fake difficulty comes in various forms, such as camera angles or, in Lost Level's case, crappy physics. If the physics were fixed in the original games, anyone could beat them.

Enemy patterns aren't fake difficulty, and neither are other aspects of games like bullet hell, impossible boss fights, and the infamous "Heartless Angel"

Reading and predicting enemy patterns are 'trial and error' in every single way, which falls under your definition of 'fake difficulty'. Also, plenty of people have used bullet hell shooters as examples of games with fake difficulty.

For a moment, I thought you were trying to respond to someone else. I never said anything about Trial and Error, and bullet hell is something used to make the game genuinely harder. You're pretty much arguing against the exact opposite of what I actually said.
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3

User Info: Number43

Number43
5 years ago#34
It's best if the game has both kinds of difficulty. Like look at this famous series of videos of a Super Mario World romhack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86NLwCYXfk

Sure it has surprise invisible blocks, but it's still difficult if you know where they are.

User Info: Luigi4President

Luigi4President
5 years ago#35
2wingedangel posted...
I'll tell Nintendo to start working on New Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels.

Why hasn't htis happened yet?
This post was written in front of a live studio audience.
Tell me if you think Luigi should be president! Agreers: 36

User Info: 2wingedangel

2wingedangel
5 years ago#36
Number43 posted...
It's best if the game has both kinds of difficulty. Like look at this famous series of videos of a Super Mario World romhack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86NLwCYXfk

Sure it has surprise invisible blocks, but it's still difficult if you know where they are.

>Rom hack
>Invisible blocks
>Know where they are

Does not compute
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
5 years ago#37
Ketorulz posted...
Playsaver posted...
Ketorulz posted...
Nope, I say just re-release it on 3DS, having both the original and All Stars version, and...Super Mario Bros Deluxe, which includes this game.

That will make me more than happy enough.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe lost levels (on gameboy color) was nerfed. Luigi was supposed to jump a bit higher or farther then Mario could, but on that verison he didn't. (He does on the snes all stars one though. Probibly can on the Wii version too.)

You confuse me when you say the Wii version. Do you mean the VC version, which is practically the original version imported, or the rare Wii version of Super Mario All Stars, which is the exact same game as the SNES version?

The rare Wii version of Super Mario all Stars. Which I suppose would play on a wii-u if that plays Wii games. I forgot about the VC version on the wii. Didn't bother with that Cause I was gonna get the Wii one. I'm fairly sure the All stars version of the games included in the game cart were all still supposed to play just the same as the originals, just with better looking graphics. So I couldn't tell you if game play was changed from the original lost levels or not. I know on the gbc luigi wasn't working like he should have been. So the gbc version wasn't converted playwise. I'm thinking they just used the main games jumping settings cause it was easier to do it that way.
I Want to Live on this Planet!
The Rest of you need to Go!

User Info: Second_Chances

Second_Chances
5 years ago#38
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty

This is probably the only TV Tropes page I still ever link.

User Info: lilpuddy31

lilpuddy31
5 years ago#39
Playsaver posted...
Ketorulz posted...
Playsaver posted...
Ketorulz posted...
Nope, I say just re-release it on 3DS, having both the original and All Stars version, and...Super Mario Bros Deluxe, which includes this game.

That will make me more than happy enough.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe lost levels (on gameboy color) was nerfed. Luigi was supposed to jump a bit higher or farther then Mario could, but on that verison he didn't. (He does on the snes all stars one though. Probibly can on the Wii version too.)

You confuse me when you say the Wii version. Do you mean the VC version, which is practically the original version imported, or the rare Wii version of Super Mario All Stars, which is the exact same game as the SNES version?

The rare Wii version of Super Mario all Stars. Which I suppose would play on a wii-u if that plays Wii games. I forgot about the VC version on the wii. Didn't bother with that Cause I was gonna get the Wii one. I'm fairly sure the All stars version of the games included in the game cart were all still supposed to play just the same as the originals, just with better looking graphics. So I couldn't tell you if game play was changed from the original lost levels or not. I know on the gbc luigi wasn't working like he should have been. So the gbc version wasn't converted playwise. I'm thinking they just used the main games jumping settings cause it was easier to do it that way.

Actually, the All Stars version doesn't play the same as the original, stand under a block as super mario and jump to break it and you will see what i mean...
The St. Louis Blues are the Chicago Cubs of the NHL = Chokers! :(

User Info: Ketorulz

Ketorulz
5 years ago#40
lilpuddy31 posted...
Actually, the All Stars version doesn't play the same as the original, stand under a block as super mario and jump to break it and you will see what i mean...

Yes I did notice that difference. I found that a tad annoying, and it ruins your speedruns or momentum when you used to rely on ricocheting off the brick blocks as you dashed through the level.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. They should remake Lost Levels, and make it genuinely dififcult.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived