Wow so Nintendo aren't idiots. They knew what they were doing after all.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Wow so Nintendo aren't idiots. They knew what they were doing after all.

User Info: Lord_Frood

Lord_Frood
6 years ago#11
Eno_Suibon posted...
It's way to early to tell whether Vita is "dead in the water," and the 3DS never was.

3DS was more like "clinging to a rock trying not to drown" for the first few months though. Hardly any AAA games, no eShop, high price, etc;
RUNBA RUNBA RUNBA RUNBA RUNBA
"Say what you want about pedophiles, but at least they drive slow in a school zone."

User Info: Kitt Thrust

Kitt Thrust
6 years ago#12

The first year of the 3DS looked lackluster at best.

you mean the first 6 months.
wiener
http://i.imgur.com/4YRrO.png

User Info: SenorLovecraft

SenorLovecraft
6 years ago#13
Lord_Frood posted...
Eno_Suibon posted...
It's way to early to tell whether Vita is "dead in the water," and the 3DS never was.

3DS was more like "clinging to a rock trying not to drown" for the first few months though. Hardly any AAA games, no eShop, high price, etc;

Yep. Vita however, has AAA games at launch, a few each month as well. A fully featured PSN shop. And a competitive price point for the tech in the system.

User Info: WickedSickJosh

WickedSickJosh
6 years ago#14
I've been a Nintendo fanboy since I first got my NES when I was a kid, but I'm not blind enough to say that the Vita is "dead in the water". In fact, there's a lot of great games coming out for it. The Vita is actually a really fantastic piece of hardware and, like most systems when they're first released, it's just having a slow start.
"I've never killed anyone. I don't need to kill anyone. I think it. I have it here. *points to head*" - Charles Manson

User Info: LHS_2012

LHS_2012
6 years ago#15
I don't think this was entirely on purpose. Sony probably thought Nintendo would be too stubborn to do a price drop (since it took the Wii 4 years to get one), so their announcement would pretty much end Nintendo's handheld presence.

It obviously backed Nintendo into a corner, as the price cut was definitely influenced by the Vita, but Nintendo actually was willing to bite the bullet to make this thing a success.

As for the games, that's has more to do with the massive drought after the 3DS's launch. The only notable game between the launch window and the fall (so just about six months) was OoT. Nintendo knew they could only maintain momentum by strong releases monthly. Some releases definitely seemed timed to step on the Vita (Monster Hunter for Japan, RE:R for the west), but for the most part this is all for the 3DS.
3DS: 1547-5445-2482
Official Heracross of the Pokemon (BW)2 boards

User Info: IniMiney

IniMiney
6 years ago#16
>You have REvelations, MGS3D, Mario, Mario Kart 7,
Revelations - only OC
MGS3d - port
Mario - rehash
Mario Kart 7 - rehash
>playing video games
ISHYGDDT DIGIDY WIGGITY WHACK

User Info: Lord_Frood

Lord_Frood
6 years ago#17
IniMiney posted...
>You have REvelations, MGS3D, Mario, Mario Kart 7,
Revelations - only OC
MGS3d - port
Mario - rehash
Mario Kart 7 - rehash

Looking at your quote, could you be oozing any more of /v/? lol
RUNBA RUNBA RUNBA RUNBA RUNBA
"Say what you want about pedophiles, but at least they drive slow in a school zone."

User Info: miso870

miso870
6 years ago#18
Yeah, Nintendo planned this out all along. I mean, what company doesn't want to slash their profit forecasts by 80+%, lose their biggest shareholder 300 million in one day, and even make some of their most loyal of followers question the wisdom of buying the WiiU at launch? Geniuses indeed. >_>

User Info: SpiritoftheBat

SpiritoftheBat
6 years ago#19
They are idiots, they are selling a system at loss for the first time in history and lost millions (or was it billions) anyways they lost alot of money and face and when the WiiU releases no one is going to buy it in the first 5 months because they'll be expecting a massive and imminent price drop.

User Info: SenorLovecraft

SenorLovecraft
6 years ago#20
miso870 posted...
Yeah, Nintendo planned this out all along. I mean, what company doesn't want to slash their profit forecasts by 80+%, lose their biggest shareholder 300 million in one day, and even make some of their most loyal of followers question the wisdom of buying the WiiU at launch? Geniuses indeed. >_>

It was definitely a rash decision, but could you imagine if they hadn't cut the price? Who in their right mind would buy the $250 3DS over the $250 Vita? No one.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Wow so Nintendo aren't idiots. They knew what they were doing after all.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived