Disappointed with destruction aspect.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Faction: Armageddon
  3. Disappointed with destruction aspect.

User Info: Dradeeus

Dradeeus
6 years ago#1

When I heard that the aliens were going to be infesting buildings, I thought that was a great idea. Finally, rampant destruction is not just a cool feature, it's one of the objectives of the game. I pictured having to level entire cities and bases and facilities, quick.

..But they really didn't use it that much. I think you can count the number of infested buildings on two hands.

Furthermore, while it's very satisfying being a destructive demi-god with the magnet gun, it seems slightly unsatisfying to take down the handful of larger buildings in the game. In Red Faction 1 and Guerilla, it was a slow and steady process that seemed fun to set up and execute. I loved watching individual towers and buildings fall after taking out the base of them, or supports. In Armageddon, you're destroying, like, 4 towers with a shot of the plasma beam.

While that's pretty awesome, it doesn't give you the same appreciation for a physics or destruction system that it does in the other Red Factions. I loved causing a tower to fall a certain way, or destroying a bridge with explosives. (I'd seriously reload Red Faction 1 over and over again to keep doing it.) In Armageddon seems like something you do easily, and move on. Kinda sad.

User Info: GownoPsie

GownoPsie
6 years ago#2
Red Faction 1? I finished it twice and I all I can remember about the destruction aspect is that it was pretty much irrelevant. Use the excavating machine here, blow up a wall there.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
6 years ago#3
GownoPsie posted...
Red Faction 1? I finished it twice and I all I can remember about the destruction aspect is that it was pretty much irrelevant. Use the excavating machine here, blow up a wall there.

Cheat and tunnel through half a map...

User Info: ToveriJuri

ToveriJuri
6 years ago#4
Marikhen posted...
GownoPsie posted...

Cheat and tunnel through half a map...

The destruction didn't affect the gameplay that much. As you said, you need to cheat to use the full potential of it.
"tarren unstopibol" ~White-Ra

User Info: Dradeeus

Dradeeus
6 years ago#5

There was a few times in Red Faction 1 where you could take out enemy convoys or vehicles by destroying the bridge around them, and stuff like that.

User Info: illRockUrCasbah

illRockUrCasbah
6 years ago#6
Red Faction 1, for me, was a huge disappointment, destruction-wise. It was actually one of the games that taught me not to trust game previews, as previews at the time promised destruction physics on the level of "there will lava coming down towards you and you can create a path to change the lava flow away from you by shooting the ground."

You get into that tunneling machine at the beginning of the game, and it barely tunnels at all before breaking. Really? Lame.

RF2 wasn't any better save for some scripted moments, but they turned the vehicle sections into on-rail shooting galleries...lame.

RF Guerrilla has amazing destruction physics, and so far this game seems to as well. No complaints from me.

User Info: illRockUrCasbah

illRockUrCasbah
6 years ago#7
Just finished the game and I agree with OP. The destruction is still cool, but it's not as satisfying.

User Info: jbtilley

jbtilley
6 years ago#8
Yeah, I liked the destruction in Guerilla better.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Faction: Armageddon
  3. Disappointed with destruction aspect.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived