• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PixelJunk Shooter 2
  3. wtf @ the cheap and overly hard second boss.

User Info: Blair68000

Blair68000
8 years ago#31
Why should every game be completed by every player? It's like if I were to read a difficult book, should I just read the SparkNotes? No, because that is watered down and won't allow me to appreciate the literature to the fullest extent. If I don't end up appreciating the book, then it's just not for me. Same thing for gaming. If you don't understand how to finish a certain game, accept that it isn't necessarily for you and move on. I don't understand a whole lot about I Wanna Be the Guy, Disgaea, or Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. This doesn't mean the games should be made easier, because that wouldn't be fair to those who DO understand their concepts.
Go and buy a new PS3 game and a new 360 game and I challenge you to smell them and tell me which is best. -- Gietzy

User Info: Robbyat

Robbyat
8 years ago#32
The whole point of this post wasn't about "Beating the Game" it was about the second level. When people do buy a sequel to a game they expect the difficulty level to be within the same realm as the previous most of the time in my experiance, especially with downloadable games.

Part of my whole argument on this post goes towards my reccomendations to friends. I typically enjoy more hardcore games but a lot of people do not. So far I havent been able to reccomend this game to a bunch of my more casual gaming friends who enjoyed the first game because of this ramped up difficulty.

In the end I will always buy the games PixelJunk puts out, I just hope others will keep doing so as well.
Xbox Tag: BloodzAT
PS3 Tag: BloodzAT

User Info: Blair68000

Blair68000
8 years ago#33
I was under the impression that sequels were supposed to be harder. >_> I mean, they usually are, anyhow. I just thought that's how developers thought of them: play the first game before even touching the second in order to understand the concepts that are now applied to tougher situations.
Go and buy a new PS3 game and a new 360 game and I challenge you to smell them and tell me which is best. -- Gietzy

User Info: Silik25

Silik25
7 years ago#34
I can't think of a single series that gets harder with every new sequel nor can I imagine why any developer would want to limit their audience by making their sequel inaccessible to new players in that way. Sure there are some series that have games that are harder than others, but making every new game harder than the last? I've never heard of that before. If anything they get easier or add extra difficulty settings.

Often what you get in a sequel is in response to criticisms of the previous game and the original PJS was on the easy side. I guess this time they made it too hard, but I haven't played it yet. Doesn't sound too fun though.
http://lbp.me/u/Reef1978

User Info: jwreschnig

jwreschnig
7 years ago#35
I also found the area 5 boss really frustrating (compared to say, everything in the first game which was a bit too easy, or the area 6 boss, which was hard but satisfying). I think the problem is in the signaling / level design.

For everything else he does, you hide in the water. Lava vomit? Hide in water. Biting? Hide in water. Gas explosion? Going out into the open is safer if you're good, but hiding in the water works just fine. Bullet storm? The water is the least safe place by far, but it's not clear why. The way the level is angled, he could get perfect reflected hits against you no matter where you are. But he only does that when you're in the water. So the water is suddenly unsafe for no really good reason.

It doesn't help that it's a very cutscene-heavy boss. Waiting for him to chase you up the tunnel each time is just boring, which makes you not pay attention, which makes you make mistakes on the parts you've already figured out.

Anyway. I don't think a single bad boss is a reason not to recommend an otherwise good game, but it definitely does have a frustrating spike there.
  1. Boards
  2. PixelJunk Shooter 2
  3. wtf @ the cheap and overly hard second boss.
  • Topic Archived