• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PixelJunk Shooter 2
  3. wtf @ the cheap and overly hard second boss.
(message deleted)

User Info: Robbyat

Robbyat
8 years ago#22
---
Xbox Tag: BloodzAT
PS3 Tag: BloodzAT
(message deleted)

User Info: MrBeens

MrBeens
8 years ago#24
Wait... what?

You're complaining about schump gameplay in a game called 'Shooter'?

User Info: Blair68000

Blair68000
8 years ago#25
Robbyat posted...
* Sent this to their feedback department. I doubt anyone will read it but I feel better having writting it*

I just hope that this finds its way to the feedback department for those responsible for pixel junk shooter 2. I have been waiting for the sequel for a long time and while I have been enjoying the levels I am currently stuck on the second boss. I consider myself a hard core gamer and have beaten a lot of difficult games in the past. I know if I kept playing I would eventually beat the boss, but I fail to see why I should keep investing my time for a bad boss encounter design that forces me to repeat the entire battle due to cheap schmup gameplay. From my current experiance I cannot and will not reccomend this game to anyone until something is done about these encounters.

Please remember there is a difference between difficult and frusterating and it really can destroy a game if not kept in check in design choices.

Thanks for reading,

-Rob

Haha.. um.. wow..
"I'm not good at this game, so please make it easier!"
I mean, I'm not one to make fun of people for sucking at a game. Because we all have our own different skills in gaming. But I would think it's obvious that... if you're not good at something... and that you don't enjoy it... then you should stop playing it and play something you DO enjoy?
Go and buy a new PS3 game and a new 360 game and I challenge you to smell them and tell me which is best. -- Gietzy

User Info: zfstark

zfstark
8 years ago#26
I'll admit, I was frustrated at first as Pixel Shooter was fairly relaxing and so was #2 until this boss; however, when commented about R-Type I actually thought of how refreshing it was to have a game that once again challenged players with some difficulty. This by far has nothing on any of the R-Types or other (genuine) arcade games as if you died here at the boss you restarted at the boss. Dieing in an R-type and having to start the entire stage over again was a lot more challenging.
This doesn't look like an accident...

Blair68000
8 years ago#27
Checkpoint-based shmups are ABSOLUTELY terrible. I'm not sure I've ever played a good one.
Go and buy a new PS3 game and a new 360 game and I challenge you to smell them and tell me which is best. -- Gietzy

User Info: zfstark

zfstark
8 years ago#28
R-Type 3 had half-way checkpoints but it was also a bit longer & slower than previous R-Types. I now I have a strong urge to go play one now - old fashioned difficulty when "hard" meant hard. I feel bad that when I see a lot of remakes and platformers/SHMUPS that make it to the PSN & XBLA that are really watered-down versions that virtually play themselves.
This doesn't look like an accident...

Blair68000
8 years ago#29
Go play Gate of Thunder on the Wii Virtual Console. One of the most fun shmups I've ever played and it has three difficulty modes, so it can suit any gamer. The enemy patterns on the hardest difficulty setting are just fiendish.

User Info: Robbyat

Robbyat
8 years ago#30
(As a note, I accidently deleted my posts above trying to toss this in, but the post I am referring too is quoted above)

To all the haters and people who posted fun comments I actually had a good dialogue with pixeljunk from that email. One of the key features they let me know was being introduced soon was the ability to save mid level and then continue at another time. While this won't be a save during the middle of a level (which I don't want to see) it will help alleviate some of the frustration of needing to spent 15-20 minutes to get back to a boss after you decide to stop trying. (Just to preempt the comments, yes I know my email didn't trigger this to be developed/implemented)

In addition I can understand that some people pleasure themselves to the hard core difficulty in games, but I find that there needs to be a good balance in order to make it enjoyable. While I sometimes fit into the category of wanting a punishing game, usually they have difficulty sliders that can cater to different audiences. For the second installment in the shooter series I question who their core audience was, and how the reviews and challenge of the game will impact their sales. I think by just looking at the leader boards it highlights the difficulty spike that is impacting gamers.

Pixel Junk 1 has around 34,000 people that have completed the game, with 50k+ who bought it.
Pixel Junk Shooter 2 around 20k people in the leader boards for the first level, which drops to 9k for the start of the second and then only 5k for the third level (where I am currently at).

I also understand that overtime more gamers will beat a game and that this really can't be a comparison until they have been out for around the same time. But it still highlights a point.
Xbox Tag: BloodzAT
PS3 Tag: BloodzAT
  1. Boards
  2. PixelJunk Shooter 2
  3. wtf @ the cheap and overly hard second boss.
  • Topic Archived