This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny
  3. Noob question

User Info: curiousfred

curiousfred
3 years ago#1
I finally cracked open my PS3 copy of Destiny, it's part of my massive backlog and I finally started playing it last night after getting it as a Christmas gift some years ago.

The game took a loooong time to update and I ended up with the Taken King content as well, after it was complete.

When I returned to the Cosmodrome to look for a warp drive, I got into a skirmish with some vandals and dregs and noticed there were some level 40s in my game (I could only see their names, as they were far away), but by the time I was done, they were gone. How does the multiplayer part of the game work? Are they doing the same level and mission I am doing (doubtful since I just started playing) or are they just sharing the same area? And if they're sharing the same area could we have teamed up?

User Info: Anime_Killer17

Anime_Killer17
3 years ago#2
They're sharing the same area. Think of it like an mmo where you will run into other people just goin around doing their own thing, possibly running their own missions.
There are "gates" however, that, if you are not partied up with people, will cause them to just disappear.

And yes, you could have teamed up if they had invited you to a party or vice versa
[This Sig was deleted at the demand of the Illuminati]

curiousfred
3 years ago#3
Thanks. I haven't played an MMO before, so this is kind of new, and pretty cool. So how do I invite them to my party? Do I need to achieve a certain level first? Do I need to see them? Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Anime_Killer17
3 years ago#4
curiousfred posted...
Thanks. I haven't played an MMO before, so this is kind of new, and pretty cool. So how do I invite them to my party? Do I need to achieve a certain level first? Do I need to see them? Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

To invite someone, they either have to be on your friends list or in the same area as you. You can press start, go to the social menu, and the right side shows people who are in your area. Hovering over their name should give an option to invite iirc.
You don't need to be a certain level to invite other people, but as a warning, it's pretty rare that someone will just join a random invite.

If there's any wrong info here, I apologize. It's been a while since I've played on PS3, and I can't remember specifics perfectly.

curiousfred
3 years ago#5
Thanks very much! Level 7 now and still getting the hang of things. I unlocked the Sparrow. I do wish there were people to play with as I think this game would be a blast with a friend or two. Still, I'm having a great time soloing.

Btw, I was mistaken, I didn't get the Taken King for free, I have to buy it. I thought I did because the main screen says both Destiny and The Taken King.

curiousfred
3 years ago#6
While playing tonight, an event icon came up a couple of times. I didn't know how to join the event mission. Can you please help?

Anime_Killer17
3 years ago#7
curiousfred posted...
While playing tonight, an event icon came up a couple of times. I didn't know how to join the event mission. Can you please help?

Yeah, you still have to buy the taken king lol.
And about joining events, once in a while, you'll see a random symbol appear on screen, kinda like the beacon symbols that are around and if you get close, you'll see an event has started. To join in the event, just participate. There's no menu or confirmation, just shoot. It also depends on the type of event. There's one where a target appears in the area, and you have to kill it before it reaches its destination. Simply go up to the target and start shooting to start it. You'll know notable target since it'll have an icon over its head. The other event is protecting a fallen relay. Simply get into the circle around the satellite/relay, and protect it from oncoming enemies.

Also, very sorry about the late replies. Been having issues getting on lately.

curiousfred
3 years ago#8
No problem at all, thanks so much for responding. Tonight I started a new character, a Warlock. It's really hard to decide which one I like more, Warlock or Titan.

I am starting to get the hang of the game, shooting then sliding up to enemies to melee them, etc. and having a lot of fun.

Can you please tell me about Spinmetal leaves and weapon parts? Who do I sell them to? Also are there times where you pick up a more powerful weapon, but decide to keep the lower powered weapon instead because of stat bonuses or is it easier to just keep swapping to increase your Light level? Thanks again!!

Anime_Killer17
3 years ago#9
If I remember correctly, you can trade in spinmetal leaves and any other gathered items in the hanger, first merchant that you see going in, but I could be wrong. However, you're better off keeping those items because higher rarity weapons and armor are upgradeable, and is done with weapon/armor parts and each planets gathered item.

As for your weapons question, I personally always just upgraded to the higher light level weapon/armor, only because the secondary stats don't seem as useful. It's always better to have a stronger weapon/armor

curiousfred
3 years ago#10
Rare weapons can be upgraded? I think I have some, I've found and picked up some green weapons and armour. So I would find a merchant to upgrade them for me? Having said that, I realize I'm just a measly level 7 and maybe I should just save up until I hit higher levels before I upgrade my gear.

I read the Gamespot review on Destiny, and wow, I just don't get the negativity. I think Destiny is a great game.

So today, this level 40 guy started shooting at me to get my attention. I decided to follow him. He led me to a loot crate in a cave that I would have missed, helped me shoot a few bad guys... and then he lead me down these dark scary stairs... and then he teleported away somehow, leaving me with these super powered freaks that killed the hell out of me! I hope there were no penalties for dying because I died about 4 times before I escaped out of there!

Somehow, it was kind of distressing.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny
  3. Noob question
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers