What do you think the first dlcs I should get for the trilogy?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. What do you think the first dlcs I should get for the trilogy?

User Info: wufiei

wufiei
1 month ago#1
I just got the Trilogy for the PS3 (yes I realize that this is xbox 360 board but it's dead over there). I'll probably get Mass Effect 2 DLCs first so that I can go straight into ME 3. I have the Kestrel Armor (P.S. Incisor in ME 2 is awesome) and somehow got the dragon age Armor (guess they put it in for the PS3 version.
What is that strange appendage growing out the top of your head? ~ Hiei

User Info: ChrisLeo

ChrisLeo
1 month ago#2
Perhaps it's best to get all the DLCs that are available, this way you can fully expirience Mass Effect at it's best, they are rewarding in the end and most of them are important for the story, like ME2 Arrival DLC wich is ME2's true Ending
Video Games are not just art for entertainment, they show a 2nd life. And i am not a Gamer because i got no life, but because i choose to have many. #Pokemon20

User Info: wufiei

wufiei
1 month ago#3
Yeah I definitely plan to get all of them. I was just looking for suggestions on the first one to get since I don't have the money or cell phone data plan to get all at once.
What is that strange appendage growing out the top of your head? ~ Hiei

User Info: MsDbird

MsDbird
1 month ago#4
For ME1 I wouldn't say any are vital, Bring Down the Sky is basically a better than average side mission and Pinnacle Station is an ultra clunky and unfun single player version of ME3's multiplayer. BDTS is only like 0.79p though so probably worth picking up for that alone. It also has a minor decision that effects later games which is nice.

For ME2 the obvious one is Lair of the Shadow Broker, it'll make Liara's dialogue in ME3 make a lot more sense and it'll introduce you to one of the cooler species of the universe. It's also just a badass mission, can't really say more for fear of spoilers

Arrival is a nice link between ME2 and 3, nothing groundbreaking but it acts as a bridge between the two games.

For ME3 you absolutely have to get the Citadel DLC, it's complete fan service in the best way possible and easily one of if not the best DLC of the series. Throwing a party with the people that have been at your side for the entire saga is a great way to end the series.

Leviathan isn't as vital but it provides a lot of context on the Reapers - their motives, origins and the purpose of the cycles.

Those imo are the most important DLC's to get :)
Well he was Thailand based, she was an airforce wife. He used to fly weekends, it was the easy life...

User Info: Eamon696

Eamon696
1 month ago#5
I think msDbird did a good job of breaking down the essential content. Here’s what I’d recommend:

ME1: Nothing essential, but BDTS is good to have

ME2: Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, and Kasumi Goto: Stolen Memory (also Zaeed and the other Cerberus Network content is good to have if you don’t already).

ME3: From Ashes, Extended Cut, Leviathan, and Citadel

User Info: SuperVegito2487

SuperVegito2487
1 month ago#6
Hmm focus on Story Based DLC

Which appears to be the recommendations youve gotten so far

Since youre on PS3 pretty Sure Pinnacle Station isnt even an option. Bring Down the Sky comes on Disc i think

As for ME2 everything up to Kasumi should be free... and I HIGHLY recommend playing Lair of the Shadow Broker and ESPICIALLY Arrival post Final Boss.. they feel very odd if you dont. Well ok LOTSB not so much, but Arrival? Yeah... I remember them being called Bridging DLC back before ME3

for 3 Ashes, Extended Cut (EC is Free) Leviathan and Citadel are the major ones.

If you want all the story theres also the Omega DLC... which if you read the Aria Comic, you might wanna play since it ties up the lose ends from there.
L.J.Gibbs: Rule 51:
"Sometimes You're Wrong."

User Info: Excalibur

Excalibur
4 weeks ago#7
It's worth noting that every DLC that's not equipment or Pinnacle Station does have story impact and references further into the series. It's worth getting them all just for the added world building (and in most cases, war assets in 3).

Two notes on 3's DLC:

From Ashes is important to get before you even start the game, as it introduces a new squad member who can be recruited very early in the game, thus allowing for his presence and added dialog to be fully experienced.

Omega has absolutely no bearing on the story or your crew in any way, other than providing you with war assets. It is purely a side story that should only be played if you're really into the specific character that the mission features and/or you just really want more game to play. (It's still a fun mission though, and I do recommend it anyway.)
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.

User Info: Devo

Devo
4 weeks ago#8
Excalibur posted...
It's worth noting that every DLC that's not equipment or Pinnacle Station does have story impact and references further into the series. It's worth getting them all just for the added world building (and in most cases, war assets in 3).

Two notes on 3's DLC:

From Ashes is important to get before you even start the game, as it introduces a new squad member who can be recruited very early in the game, thus allowing for his presence and added dialog to be fully experienced.

Omega has absolutely no bearing on the story or your crew in any way, other than providing you with war assets. It is purely a side story that should only be played if you're really into the specific character that the mission features and/or you just really want more game to play. (It's still a fun mission though, and I do recommend it anyway.)

These are really good points. I will say that Omega is pretty fun, especially if you have a big boner/lady-boner for Aria (I personally dislike her, but I still like the Omega DLC because the rest of it is neat and has possibly the most tense horror sequence in all of ME3, tons of extra gear, and some enjoyable characters that aren't Aria).

Repeating that Pinnacle Station for ME1 is pretty bleh. I've played through it on all of my runs, but after this last run on Insanity, I've decided to just skip it on any future runs or drop the difficulty down to Normal so I can blast through it for the XP/rewards. And yeah, Bring Down the Sky is basically a very elaborate planetary exploration mission, though I think it's worth it.

I'll offer my $.02 by rankingawesomeness+story significance of the DLC in this order, from best to least good:
Citadel DLC (ME3)
Lair of the Shadow Broker (ME2)
Arrival (ME2)
Leviathan (ME3)
Kasumi - Stealing Memory (ME2)
Overlord (ME2)
Omega (ME3)
Zaeed - the Price of Revenge (ME2)
Bring Down the Sky (ME1)
Firewalker (ME2)
N** Crash Site (ME2)
Pinnacle Station (ME1)

Seriously cannot overstate how excellent the Citadel DLC is. And in keeping with what others have said, both Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival are really helpful as far as making ME3's beginning make sense. They're also both really fun. LotSB is definitely the best DLC overall for ME2, but I personally think Arrival is amazing as well and often underrated (there is some tense, cool s*** in there, and you have to do something that literally changes the face of the galaxy in an epic way).

I will say that Firewalker is broken up into a bunch of smaller, short segments that do nothing at all for the story and don't matter for ME3, but you get a lot of credits and XP from them, and being able to do them whenever you want is nice.

N** Crash Site is super short and easy and basically a nice little XP and credit boost early on in ME2 (super useful for higher difficulty runs in particular), not to mention providing some feels and closure for stuff that happens earlier on.

If any of this story (or equipment) DLC is available for free, definitely get it. None of it is bad, except arguably Pinnacle Station. And I liked Pinnacle Station through 5-6 playthroughs. I just finally got bored of it.

One more thing: Kasumi and Zaeed have a bigger impact on ME3 than Overlord, but Overlord's story is REALLY good. And creepy.

User Info: SuperVegito2487

SuperVegito2487
4 weeks ago#9
Devo posted...
N** Crash Site is super short and easy and basically a nice little XP and credit boost early on in ME2 (super useful for higher difficulty runs in particular), not to mention providing some feels and closure for stuff that happens earlier on.

I dunno about easy

I like the story impact it has so to speak, but finding everything is always a pain in the ass...
L.J.Gibbs: Rule 51:
"Sometimes You're Wrong."

User Info: Excalibur

Excalibur
4 weeks ago#10
Oh yeah, I forgot about Firewalker. That one doesn't have any story relevance either, HOWEVER, it is extremely worthwhile to play it before playing Overlord. Firewalker introduces a new ground vehicle and teaches you how to use it. Overlord features the vehicle quite prominently and expects that you already know how it works. Imagine my confusion when I first played the game and did Overlord before Firewalker. (It was not very fun. Also there's no explanation as to where this new vehicle came from if you do Overlord first, and it gets weird when you start Firewalker and go on this mission to find a brand new vehicle that you already spent an hour driving.)
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. What do you think the first dlcs I should get for the trilogy?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived