• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Mass Effect's enormous word and line counts

User Info: phishface

phishface
6 years ago#1
The English word count for ME3 is ~430,000 [in 40,000 lines of dialogue]. For ME2 it's ~450,000 [in 25,000 lines]. And ME is ~300,000 [in 20,000 lines].

The total word count for the series is therefore close to 1.2 million, in 85,000 lines.

For comparison, the total word count for the King James Bible is ~783,000. For the Lord of the Rings trilogy it's 473,000. War and Peace has 560,000. Shakespeare's plays contain ~836,000 words.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I'm struck by this bit of trivia: there are more words in the ME series than LotR and War and Peace added together.
Polo, or mounted combat: https://youtu.be/qC98aGytX10

User Info: midsizelebowski

midsizelebowski
6 years ago#2
I love the context you put this in. If you had asked me which had a higher word count, war and peace or mass effect, I would've laughed at you for insulting tolstoy. How does mass effect 2 alone almost reach it!?!?! My mind is blown.
GT: Nigel Tuffnel11, PSN: NigelTuffnel11

User Info: DividerByZero

DividerByZero
6 years ago#3
The question is: how many lines will the average person hear over the course of a normal run of the trilogy?

I'm thinking that number will be about 20% lower, unless that number takes that into effect.

User Info: Scene911

Scene911
6 years ago#4
Enormous Effect, rolls off the tongue

phishface
6 years ago#5
DividerByZero posted...
The question is: how many lines will the average person hear over the course of a normal run of the trilogy?

I'm thinking that number will be about 20% lower, unless that number takes that into effect.

I'd guess even less. Think of how many lines depend on disposition, party composition, romance, whatever. And average players probably won't be obsessive about talking to everyone on the Normandy after missions.

If someone does a single playthrough, they may miss half or more of what's there.

User Info: RudolphXMcGree

RudolphXMcGree
6 years ago#6
Funnily enough the bible could have potentially been a lot longer but in the 5th century, the powers that be decided what was canon and what would be the apocrypha. The protestant bible was cut down further in the 16th century. The Shepherd saga has so many words because there are so many different versions of the story. We need an ecumenical council to decide once and for all what really happened over the course of those games!

* Imagines a future Shepherd religion where different sects fight about who was left on Virmire and who made it through the suicide mission.
'You may look like my mother but you're nowhere close to her. You have no soul! You have the face but you'll never have her fire'

User Info: RudolphXMcGree

RudolphXMcGree
6 years ago#7
Please forgive my misspelling of Shepard. Confusing Christianity and Mass Effect again. Its almost as if they named him that deliberately...
'You may look like my mother but you're nowhere close to her. You have no soul! You have the face but you'll never have her fire'

phishface
6 years ago#8
RudolphXMcGree posted...
* Imagines a future Shepherd religion where different sects fight about who was left on Virmire and who made it through the suicide mission.

Ashlis and Kaidaniites?

This is dangerous territory

User Info: Nafzger

Nafzger
6 years ago#9

User Info: kenobi749

kenobi749
6 years ago#10
Revanites are better than Ashlis and Kaidanites
A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead."- Sev (RC-1207)
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Mass Effect's enormous word and line counts
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A