Was it ever explained why none of the ME 2 crew made it as ME 3 crew members ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Was it ever explained why none of the ME 2 crew made it as ME 3 crew members ?

User Info: STLCards1991

STLCards1991
5 years ago#11
It's a little disappointing but understandable considering how resources are allocated. Still though, I wish they had thrown us a couple of ME2 squaddies (Garrus and Tali don't really count). Maybe Miranda and Grunt.

User Info: urboror

urboror
5 years ago#12
Bioware spent a heroic (bordering on "insane") amount of energy on "alternate" scenarios for dead squad members, I don't think it's fair to call them "lazy," quite, mouth-breathers.

I do think it's fair to call them "insane," since I never cared about the "choice" thing that much. Was the result of "CHOICE!" that great? It basically boils down to "do you like to see content removed?" No. No I don't. So I will try to keep everyone alive.

What "CHOICE!" results in, in ME3 (cut content? Basically...), you can critique, but don't call those people lazy.

User Info: TheM00d

TheM00d
5 years ago#13
Eamon696 posted...
RKO_Viper posted...
Laziness. Plain, and simple.

It has to do with resources, not laziness.

Yet they spend resources on Allers?
GT- CCCC0MB0BREAKER

User Info: LiquidFuze180

LiquidFuze180
5 years ago#14
Urdnot_Runt posted...
They wanted a "more personal intimate squad dynamic", or something like that.

In other words, they were too lazy to spend time finding a way to make people who can die in one game possible squaddies in subsequent games.

Would you really call it laziness? I believe there was a lottt of pressure from the producers, EA on Bioware for a finished product within certain dimensions. It doesn't add up, especially given the amount of effort Bioware have put into the Citadel DLC, they definitely care about the characters.
somewhere baby its part of me apart from me

LiquidFuze180
5 years ago#15
TheM00d posted...
Eamon696 posted...
RKO_Viper posted...

She's based off a reporter from IGN. Ever heard of an endorsement? Her inclusion as a character is political, if anything. Emily Wong (I think that's her name) should have had that spot on the ship. Or Zaeed.

User Info: Maetch

Maetch
5 years ago#16
LiquidFuze180 posted...
She's based off a reporter from IGN. Ever heard of an endorsement? Her inclusion as a character is political, if anything. Emily Wong (I think that's her name) should have had that spot on the ship.

Of course, BioWare had to go and kill Emily just for shock value.

TheM00d
5 years ago#17
LiquidFuze180 posted...
TheM00d posted...
Eamon696 posted...
RKO_Viper posted...

She's based off a reporter from IGN. Ever heard of an endorsement? Her inclusion as a character is political, if anything. Emily Wong (I think that's her name) should have had that spot on the ship. Or Zaeed.

I know who she is. It just shows where priorities lie when they waste time, energy, and money on a character that was only there to help you get a better ratings from a site.
GT- CCCC0MB0BREAKER

LiquidFuze180
5 years ago#18
TheM00d posted...
LiquidFuze180 posted...
TheM00d posted...
Eamon696 posted...
RKO_Viper posted...

I know who she is. It just shows where priorities lie when they waste time, energy, and money on a character that was only there to help you get a better ratings from a site.

I apologize if I came off rude! I dunno, Bioware is pretty consistent with quality and lore. And they definitely care what fans think. They couldn't have honestly believed Allers would be a good idea. Who knows, maybe they did. But I think EA pressing them to incorporate IGN somehow is a more reasonable explanation.
ParanoidObsessive 5 years ago#19
Think about it. 12 squad mates means 12 different voice actors you have to pay. Some of those voice actors are relatively "in-demand" in the industry, meaning that you're paying them a lot more than you would someone willing to work for scale. Having their characters as potential full squadmates means having to have each of those 12 people record lines for every possible mission and assignment where a squadmate says something (which is a LOT of extra lines, meaning you have to pay them a LOT more than you do if they just voice a few lines for a minor side mission).

And then you realize that there's a good chance that any given individual player may never see those characters or hear those lines at all, because they either didn't play ME2, or because they got that character killed during the suicide mission.

If anything, I'm surprised the entire crew from ME2 show up in ME3 at all (including people like Gabby, Ken, and Kelly). BioWare COULD have just said that people like Miranda and Jacob fall off the grid entirely, Thane died off-camera, Zaeed and Kasumi just wandered off once the agreed-upon job was completed, and so on. Sure, you can argue that ME2 love interests at least should show up, but even that can be argued (who says someone like Jack wouldn't just leave you in the six months between games?).

Just having ME2 squadmates show up in side missions (or having a different character take their place in those side missions if they're dead) is a pretty significant investment of development time and resources. Having them all join you permanently would be a much bigger investment - one that BioWare (or higher ups in EA) obviously decided wasn't worth the result.

TheM00d posted...

Chobot probably did her lines for free, and apparently blew half the development team to get the role in the first place, so that would be like a net positive investment of resources.
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

TheM00d
5 years ago#20
LiquidFuze180 posted...

I apologize if I came off rude! I dunno, Bioware is pretty consistent with quality and lore. And they definitely care what fans think. They couldn't have honestly believed Allers would be a good idea. Who knows, maybe they did. But I think EA pressing them to incorporate IGN somehow is a more reasonable explanation.

I understand what you're getting at and it makes a little bit of sense. When you are sending off a series as beloved as ME has been though, you owe it to yourself and the fans to do it right despite who might be looking over your shoulder. Doing a shoddy job hurts a lot of things in the long run as has been shown with this game.
GT- CCCC0MB0BREAKER
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Was it ever explained why none of the ME 2 crew made it as ME 3 crew members ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived