• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Whats the deal with the Garrus love?

User Info: unknowninfo775

unknowninfo775
7 years ago#1
I dont see why people have a strong love for Garrus. He was fine in ME1 kind of cool had a back story and a good reason to join your team. In ME2 its all good, catching up on old times but thats about it. Where did all the love for him come, "he's space batman" lol no... He helped some people out, we dont call Shep spaces superman. And he has like 3 conversations in the full game, post recruitment, loyalty, post loyalty and for femShep romance. I just dont see it, care to enlighten me?
Currently playing: TLoZ: AlttP,Arkam asylam, ME2, Halo: reach, sims 3
Currently anticipating: Skyrim, Skyward sword, ME3, AC:revelations, Arkham city, halo 4

User Info: JusSumGuy88

JusSumGuy88
7 years ago#2
I think it's the dragon ball z scouter.....or the fact that he's a beast of a teammate with the sniper. I'm thinking it's more the dbz scouter though. Lol.

User Info: TheApd_Returns

TheApd_Returns
7 years ago#3
unintentionally funny line (calibrations)
while still dumb, still jokes around more than anyone except, well, joker.

User Info: ilovegearsofwar

ilovegearsofwar
7 years ago#4
Cause he's Manshep's on true bro who's been there for him from the beginning. Even if you save Kaiden he just keeps acting like the whiny little girl he is and tells you to F off. Plus he's funny, the most rational of your squad, and has his own demons like anyone else, it makes him quite human like us.

And yeah, then there's the awesome space Punisher part. If he was space Batman he'd wear his underwear on the wrong side of his pants and only rough up the bad guys so they could go do more crime the next day.

User Info: Captain_Sorzo

Captain_Sorzo
7 years ago#5
The following is something I posted in another topic a few months ago:

Given that I do consider him the best in the series, I'll give it a whirl. First, it should be noted that he has more characterization than any other party member, largely as a result of being in both games. Tali, of course, was as well, but she was little more than a walking codex entry in the original Mass Effect, while Garrus was the most fleshed out of the alien party members because he actually talked about himself rather than his people and culture. He didn't have much dialogue in Mass Effect 2, but what was present gives him an edge over, say, Mordin, who received as much if not more development as Garrus did in the first game.

Second, there's the teacher/student dynamic between Shepard and Garrus. The development of party members is entirely linear, in some cases stopping prematurely at a certain point unless continued via romance. The ability of the player to alter the world mindset of his/her party is present in only a few cases, Garrus and the human party members from Mass Effect 1 being the only examples I can think of. Yet with the latter, such shaping occurs in obscure, easily missed dialogue options (I've never seen the persuade options concerning aliens for Ash outside of YouTube; I hear Kaidan has a similar set), while Garrus' character revolves around this dynamic. The limited effects of the encounter with Dr. Saleon on Garrus in Mass Effect 2 are underwhelming, but understandable given BioWare's limited resources. At least they're certainly present.

Third, Garrus is incredibly charismatic. The feeling of him being Shepard's best friend in Mass Effect 2 is of course subjective, but it's a sentiment felt by many, myself included. Even if his work as Archangel is morally questionable, he's one of a handful of thoroughly decent companions on a ship filled with murderers and mercenaries. Beyond that, he's hilarious, whether through deliberate humor (his antique store line comes to mind) or his nervous reactions to FemShep's advances. Even in combat, he's fun to have around, as it's quite evident (more thanks to Keener's acting than his lines) that he loves what he does.

Fourth, he's darned impressive.
Hallelujah! We're redeemed and made free; by the blood of the Lamb we have won. Hallelujah! We will sing victory: Jesus conquered the grave. God be praised!

User Info: Bronze_Stuff

Bronze_Stuff
7 years ago#6
@Captain

Garrus whines about C-Sec and how awful it is. He talks about himself no more than anyone else did in the game. Everything he pretty much says stems back to C-Sec in some form or fashion. Without Garrus, you don't get the talks about how bad everything is in C-Sec. Which gives the player some more insight on just how awful C-Sec/Council is. I've heard people say this numerous times, but it's not true. He's the C-Sec entry.

Then you didn't talk to Kaidan and Ashley enough. Because they are clearly there. And they aren't obscure at all. Granted you can only get the dialogue if you are the opposite gender, but it's still clearly there. I prefer the subtle ones that happen over the dynamic approach. Because it's less in your face for "LOOK WHAT HE LEARNED FROM THIS! HE'S CHANGED AS A RESULT." And more of a "looking back, _____ sure has changed a lot."

It's a sentiment felt by people that have this strange and bizarre obsession honestly-- like Tali. Garrus doesn't give me those vibes. In ME1, he looks up to you as a form of teacher, and in ME2, he doesn't want to have anything to do with you. People talk about characters like Jacob and Jack for being bad, but at least they are willing to talk to you at some points. And Garrus is just as bad as they are. Vigilantism is against all form of lawful actions. Especially when it's unwarranted. He's just as bad as people like Zaeed Hell, they're both comparable at that. Both of them had people that betrayed them, and they want to kill them. Except Zaeed's is more understandable. Vido betrayed him because he was a dick. Sidonis betrayed Garrus because he was a coward. Yet, Garrus still wants to shoot a bullet through his eyes. That's far more insane than anyone in the entire game. And instead of you know, rallying up enough people to actually do something about Omega, he takes actions that get his small group killed and almost himself killed as well. He didn't do anything for Omega really making those years pretty much a huge waste of time.

His skillset is fairly impressive, as he has moves that can damage all 3 armor types. And he is less fragile than many party members.

ilovegearsofwar
7 years ago#7
Zaeed is a gun for hire and a madman who was willing to blow up an entire factory full of innocent people in order to settle some petty dick measuring contest. Garrus did he did pro Bono in an attempt to protect innocent people. Even if he didn't liberate the entire station, he must have helped at least some people if he earned the reputation of "Archangel", and however many it was I guarentee it was more than the council or politics ever did.

The fact that some people in the 21st century still believe you can negotiate with terrorists and defeat corruption with laws and red tape, despite the knee deep historical evidence disproving that, is mind boggling. Perhaps your Shepard should try to reason with the Reapers when they get to the Milky Way.

ilovegearsofwar
7 years ago#8
And technically it's not vigilantism if there's no laws on Omega, it's simply standing up to bullies for those who can't themselves

User Info: Bronze_Stuff

Bronze_Stuff
7 years ago#9
ilovegearsofwar posted...
Zaeed is a gun for hire and a madman who was willing to blow up an entire factory full of innocent people in order to settle some petty dick measuring contest. Garrus did he did pro Bono in an attempt to protect innocent people. Even if he didn't liberate the entire station, he must have helped at least some people if he earned the reputation of "Archangel", and however many it was I guarentee it was more than the council or politics ever did.

The fact that some people in the 21st century still believe you can negotiate with terrorists and defeat corruption with laws and red tape, despite the knee deep historical evidence disproving that, is mind boggling. Perhaps your Shepard should try to reason with the Reapers when they get to the Milky Way.

Garrus also tried to kill a man whose worst crime was "I was scared." Garrus is also willing to endanger many innocents to stop one man. Like any pro-Renegade. So he's really no better than Zaeed in that regard. Zaeed at least doesn't try to wrap it up in pretty tape. He just shows the ugly truth. Plus, as many of those damn Blue Suns that are around in ME2. Killing Vido might actually be largely worth sacrificing a few innocents if you're going to be that way. They are a complete menace to the galaxy in terms of story. You fight them more than anyone else. The groups in the area called him archangel because they didn't know his name. Not because he earned a rep for being "Archangel."
And no, his actions weren't more than the council or politics. Politics made Sheperd a Spectre, and look what came out of that. As one example for this simply not being true.

You can defeat corruption with red tape. It's just that people like Garrus would rather try to skip steps and cut corners that are the main reason that red tape even has to exist. The reapers have already had an official declaration of war. And even if hey hadn't, it's clear from what we know from ME3, they attacked crazy like. Regardless of that, going by your mentality, humanity would have been wiped in the first contract war. Politics and the Council itself stepping in is what saved them.

User Info: meltor13

meltor13
7 years ago#10
Garrus is one of 2 people in ME2 who Shepard can greet with an exclamation of happiness, and one of 2 people that Shep seems genuinely excited to see once they meet again. Wrex, of course, is the other character.

When Shep meets Garrus on Omega, the general reaction is "Garrus! What're you doing here?!" and it's implied through body language and voice that Shep is genuinely happy to see Garrus.

Wrex is the same way. Wrex gets up in the middle of a conversation and Shep waltzes through the Krogan guards so they can engage in a friendly handshake and greeting. They both seem pretty happy to see eachother again.

There is not another character in ME2 that Shep greets as such. Even Tali and Liara, both LI's and returning members from ME1, are not greeted in the same way.

Garrus and Wrex fulfill the 'bro for life' and/or 'best friend' category for Shep. That's why they are both widely considered 2 of the best characters in the series.
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Whats the deal with the Garrus love?
  • Topic Archived