• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Exp_HP

Exp_HP
8 years ago#1
After being in the queue for two days, my guide has finally been reviewed by GameFAQs and accepted. Hooray, my first guide ever is up!

It's complete, but it's not finished. What I mean is, 9 Envelopes have unknown abilities. If you ever discover one of them, be sure to shoot me an email so I can add it to the guide pronto.
This wall of text has been brought to you courtesy of one of the board's resident
spectrum children (and Linux users).

User Info: PitfallMario

PitfallMario
8 years ago#2
Nice Job my friend! I just read it over and it's hard to believe that this is your first FAQs. I learned quite a lot from it and it has motivated me to collect all the ships on Normal Mode.

I have a few more questions if you could be so kind to answer (some of them are fun questions)...

1. What does the bonus blocks Terraforming and Laceration exactly do?

2. Is there any advise in discerning each of the bonus blocks? I have a hard time seeing if it is a P block or a F block.

3. Why does the main character in Normal Mode look like Nicholas Cage?

4. How did they make this game? I can't imagine somebody designing each and all the millions of levels it has.

5. How does the charge beam (that you get near the end of each level) work? Sometimes I get it at the start of the level. Is there a way to get it sooner in each level?

6. Wouldn't it be cool if they made a spin-off of this game that took place entirely in the ocean titled, "AquaBounce"?

Thanks for answering and feel free to include any of these in your FAQs.

Exp_HP
8 years ago#3
1. What does the bonus blocks Terraforming and Laceration exactly do?
Terraforming changes a random area of conglomerates into normal conglomerates. It's purpose is to get rid of steel and rock.
Laceration destroys every enemy ship in the level.

2. Is there any advise in discerning each of the bonus blocks? I have a hard time seeing if it is a P block or a F block.
Play the game enough, and you'll eventually be able to identify the harder-to-read ones by color.

Because the French are the only people who liked National Treasure.

4. How did they make this game? I can't imagine somebody designing each and all the millions of levels it has.
The current theory:
There's a level generator. As far as I can tell, this level generator mixes and matches certain level peices, and then it sticks in stuff like Nexus and enemies. Each planet has its own rules on how to generate levels, and then the level generator works within those rules.

The levels aren't actually stored anywhere on the game. That would take up way too much space. Instead, the game generates them right before you play them. That's why you have to sit through a "loading" screen; it's generating the level.

5. How does the charge beam (that you get near the end of each level) work? Sometimes I get it at the start of the level. Is there a way to get it sooner in each level?
The Javelin charges when there are only a few normal blocks left to destroy. The reason it exists is to make it easier and less frustrating to get the last few blocks to clear the level, because usually those are tough to aim your ball at.
The less normal conglomerates there are left in the level, the faster it charges. Although sometimes a glitch occurs where it doesn't charge as fast. I don't really understand what causes this, but I think it usually happens if you pick up a Kamikaze when the Javelin is almost fully charged.

Some of the levels on Asmech have so few normal blocks that the Javelin is able to charge right from the beginning. That's probably what you're thinking of.

6. Wouldn't it be cool if they made a spin-off of this game that took place entirely in the ocean titled, "AquaBounce"?
With torpedoes, sunfish, and a lumberjack bent on world domination? Count me in!
This wall of text has been brought to you courtesy of one of the board's resident

User Info: One_Man_Gang

One_Man_Gang
8 years ago#4

Because the French are the only people who liked National Treasure.

I don't know what's funnier - the question or the answer. :)

Consequences will never be the same!

PitfallMario
8 years ago#5
^Thanks Exp_HP! You answered them perfectly.

There's just one thing that bugs me. If the load times result in generating the level, than how come you can view that level instantly(without load times), by pressing the icon above the sonar icon even before you press Play?

Exp_HP
8 years ago#6
You know, I never thought about that. That's a really good question. And in usual ExpHP fashion, I will now spend 2 hours writing a very long post as I attempt to figure it out myself.
(why do I do this to myself?)

Anyways, I looked at a bunch of scans and here's what I noticed:
The funny thing about the scanner is that it tells so much and yet so little. It marks which conglomerates drop Bonuses (those are the orange ones, it seems). For the rest of the normal conglomerates, some show up as green blocks, some are invisible blocks that shine when the bar passes through... and then the rest just don't show up at all.

To me, it seems that it's only showing the result of the first few steps of the level generation. I guess the first few steps decide where to put normal conglomerates only. As soon as it's about to add any special elements, the scanner stops.

On a few of the levels on Epigore, I noticed something interesting: The radar had big gaping holes around where the Nexus was supposed to show up. As in, most conglomerates in the level that were touching any Nexus did not show up on the radar at all. I think the reason they didn't show up on the scan was because the level-generator only added those conglomerates to fill in the holes after it added the Nexus.

But you've really got me wondering about this.
Levels on certain planets take far longer to "load" than levels on other planets, and I've always figured that was because sometimes the level generator is more complicated than it is other times.

And yet, for the occasional level where the level is an exact match to its scan (as in, no additional changes were made by the level generator after the cutoff point for the scanner), it makes no sense that the level still takes so much longer to load than to scan...

I guess that, in the end, it probably all boils down to whatever other things it does while "loading" the level. Maybe it's also busy initializing all the objects in the level

In fact, for all we know, maybe the game actually just waits a few seconds after it finishes generating the level in order to get the player to read the little info thingy.

PitfallMario
8 years ago#7
^Thanks for your well thought out answer, I didn't know the orange blocks were bonus blocks that helps a lot in choosing a level.

Sorry I opened up a whole new can of worms by asking this question but like you, this game fascinates me.

Exp_HP
8 years ago#8
The Orange = Bonus thing was a lucky discovery on my part. One of the first levels I scanned was (0,0), the level I used for my most important tests with I-GUAN and EXPLORER (the two ships that change a level's Bonuses).

Too complicated.... Too complicated.... Okay, here's a scan that looks simple enough to remember. It's kinda familiar, too. Let's see... there's a 4x7 area of orange with three holes in it with two more blocks protruding out the top and another to the side... then there's some islands to the right...

I can't remember all this. Maybe I should map this scan out into my notes. Let's see... oh right, isn't this is the same level I used when working with EXPLORER? Awesome, I can put my map of the scan right here, under my map of the level's Bonuses................................ oh.

User Info: Gamercube

Gamercube
8 years ago#9
-Gamercube, who died for our sins.
XD

Also, is the M-ALMOTH b0rken or br0ken? You used the first one~

User Info: Kongar1985

Kongar1985
8 years ago#10
That guide is very well written, like PitfallMario said, it's hard to believe it's your first. Been playing infinite space a lot lately and got Dragon Quest 9 coming out in Australia on thursday, but I hope to put aside some time for Alphabounce again now that I've got the Sonar coordinates. Well done on the guide it's fantastic and has very helpful info even though I've completed the game twice.
  • Topic Archived