• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. AlphaBounce
  3. Questions I need help answering

User Info: Exp_HP

Exp_HP
8 years ago#1
So I finally decided to make this topic. I need help with some things that I cannot determine because I'm on Easy mode and I cannot afford to restart the game until I finish documenting all the envelopes I have in the guide... So I've been collecting a list of things that I need to ask, and I think that now is a good time to ask them. Answer what you can.

1. Does I-GUAN crash less on Normal/Hard difficulty? Usually I don't even last 5 seconds before the game hangs.

2. Does the ESC-FGT also increase the rate at which you can use the Extender? This item is not on Easy, to my knowledge.

3. Do the Photonic Clone, Missile Generator, and/or the Mass Cannon items follow any similar appearance to the Plasma Bouncer and Wave Generator? I'm just wondering. Again, these aren't on Easy.

4. Is the Mass Cannon really placed before Ammo Supplies in the equipment screen? This is how it's listed in YakraXIII's Normal Mode Inventory. I'm trying to justify making Ammo Supplies a separate category of equipment so I can address how Provison ignores it. It's just a silly matter of letting my guide "flow".

5. Speaking of how Provision ignores your Ammo Supplies, does the Missile Generator pay attention to them?
6. Also, does it pay attention to HERBO's extra missiles?

7. How are the Photonic Clone and Missile Generator used? Again, I'm just wondering, though it might also have some bearing on how I categorize Equipment if they both work how I'm suspecting they might. (I suspect that both are activated when the ball bounces off the ship)

8. Are the Mass Cannon projectiles the same as those generated by the ASTERON?
9. Does placing the Mass Cannon on the ASTERON have any decent effect?

10. Are Nukes alone in the "less than 3 ammunition" boat?

11. That one item... is it a Gravitron or a Graviton? Sure, a real-life graviton only exists at a sub-nanoscopic scale, but then again, whisky isn't a drink. So there. =P

12. Can PHOENIX live thrice? Alright, this one I technically could figure out on my own, but it takes too much luck.
I thought I got it to happen once before, but I've never been able to get it to happen again.

13. HILAN-DR. Hopefully this is on Earth on Hard. When somebody gets it, I want to know the number of slots, the P-Bonus, and, of course, it's special trait. Also, I can't believe I'm actually going to ask for this, but I want to know its description on the equipment screen, line breaks included, because I include that at the beginning of each Envelope's section. I actually just now got lucky with an opening level blurb and got to copy the text for HILAN-DR, but I'd still like to know where the line breaks are in the equipment screen, just because I'm compulsive.

Well, I guess that's it for now. Unless you take Murphy's Law into account, because we all know I'm going to come up with a #14 the moment I click on the "Post Message" button.
This wall of text has been brought to you courtesy of one of the board's resident
spectrum children (and Linux users).

User Info: Kongar1985

Kongar1985
8 years ago#2
3: Photonic Clone looks a bit like the plasma bouncer but it's vertical and the blue part is the same thickness as the yellow. The Missile Generator looks like a ship in a bottle from Dragon Quest 5, a translucent blue box with a missile warhead? inside. The Mass Cannon almost looks like a grey camera with a huge LCD screen attached to it.

7: Missile Generator works upon the ball touching the ship a number of times. Can't remember if the Photonic Clone works on ball activation or not, think it just creates a grey clone frequently. Anyone else got one of these? I'm in hard now. Anyone still playing on Normal can find one of these useless things at [-126, 88]

8: No they are different, the Mass Cannon shoots white puffs while the ASTERON shoots little red mini pulse cannon look alike rays, both work the same way, ball activation.

10: Nukes are the only missile I know of in Normal with less than 3 ammunition. Love the blinding flash they do and how they bug your javelin to do the same thing :-)

Hopes this helps, should be able to help with some of them other questions when I get more items and planets under me belt.

Exp_HP
8 years ago#3
Thanks for the help so far.

I'm going to add a second batch of questions: There are several ships that I still don't know the special abilities of. And not for lack of trying, believe me.

14. TWINEE. I cannot get this thing to clone a single ball.
15. ASTERON. As far as I can tell, you can't crash into ships, period.
16. API-DYA. I tested it. This thing does not deal extra damage to Enzoima.
17. TAS-VOODOO. Deals normal damage to normal blocks, rock, & Enzoima. I tried to test it against enemies, but I had trouble finding one that didn't usually die in one hit.
18. EXPLORER. Luck. Bouncer. These hints gave me plenty of guesses, but none were right.
19. GC-MAGMOD. I keep coming back to this one, trying to figure it out. I'm stumped.
20. GALEON. Flawless. My. Buttocks.
21. ISPA-87. The weapon slots "were removed." So what negative impact does that have?
22. COMMANDER. I suspect it may be strong against those circuit aliens, but I haven't seen any for ages. All my other guesses proved false.
This wall of text has been brought to you courtesy of one of the board's resident

User Info: Kongar1985

Kongar1985
8 years ago#4
1: The I-GUAN seems to be quite stable on Hard, will crash upon death sometimes but this rarely happens as it's my third ship. I used it for about 5 levels though as my main to test it and it was fine.

Exp_HP
8 years ago#5
I have to admit, with anybody else authoring it, the guide would've been up long ago. Researching those 9 envelopes I can't figure out is proving to be an exercise in futility, so I'm giving up on them for now so I can get the guide published. I wrote "skill not known at this time" under all of them in my guide and I request people to contact me if they figure it out.

I still have a couple of envelopes left to explain in my guide, and then I have to add a few other relevant and/or required sections and pretty it up, but with those unknown envelopes out of the way I'd say the guide is at least 80% done now. I'd like to give a time estimate, but when it comes to how long I will take to complete something, I usually underestimate by a factor of 5.

But I will at least wait until we find HILAN-DR before publishing the guide, assuming it's on Earth in Hard Mode.

Exp_HP
8 years ago#6
15 has been solved. I am now confident that enemies can enter your playing field in higher difficulties. I was able to figure this out because there's a flaw in the way the game prevents enemies from colliding with you in Easy mode.

How should the game have done this? By giving enemies different AI for each difficulty, and making the Easy mode AIs avoid the playing field.

How does the game handle it instead? On Easy mode, when an enemy enters your playing field, the game freezes it in place and makes it harmless to touch. While the enemy will still animate and be able to shoot you, it will not be able to move any more, and it will be safe to touch. However, as I discovered today, the game doesn't freeze the enemy immediately. It freezes it three frames after it enters the playing field. If you touch it before then, it still will be able to hurt you. This discovery is what led me to figure everything else out.
It won't hurt you if you have ASTERON (or 10 Defense). Otherwise, it will most likely kill you, because it will hit you three times for 10 damage each before the game renders it harmless.

So, yeah, ASTERON does protect you from collisions. Provided, I would've had a lot less trouble figuring this out were I not playing on Easy. =P

Also, I found an enemy that took more than one hit to kill, and TAS-VOODOO, EXPLORER, and COMMANDER all did standard damage to it with balls. I didn't think it was worth testing anything else.

Exp_HP
8 years ago#7
(to the tune of Mario)
BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP-BUMP-BUMP-BUMP

(and the crowd goes wild.)

User Info: trezuraat

trezuraat
8 years ago#8
Hi Exp_HP, mind messaging me? I've not enough "user points" to msg you on the gamefaqs board.

I want to give you a compilation of walkthrough info from yourself and others on the board. Hopefully, it'll help. If not, no big deal but since it's mostly from your posts I'd rather you either work it into your own writeup, or at least give me the go-ahead.

Thanks!

Exp_HP
8 years ago#9
Well, part of the reason you can't message me is because GameFAQs doesn't even have a user-to-user PM system. GameSpot has them, but then again I don't like GameSpot.

I'll make my email address public here, though, since it'll be in the guide anyways. You can email me if you want to.

expdie,spam,diehp at yahoo period com

Just remove the "die,spam,die" and replace the "at" and "period" with the appropriate symbols. Basic spambot-prevention science.

User Info: bubblebenj

bubblebenj
8 years ago#10

Exp_HP posted...
1. Does I-GUAN crash less on Normal/Hard difficulty?Usually I don't even last 5 seconds before the game hangs.

If the envelope that changes the ball every second it's not bug in normal mode too.

Exp_HP posted...
14. TWINEE.I cannot get this thing to clone a single ball.

I suspect that the TWINEE can get an extra ball from the bonus Multiball only for balls stuck on the envelope (unlike SOLSTICE ;)). It's just a guess.

Exp_HP posted...
18. EXPLORER.Luck. Bouncer. These hints gave me plenty of guesses, but none were right.

My guess is that the "luck" of the EXPLORER is the same as the scoot ball : more chance to get bonus (especially good ones). It's much more useful in hard mode.

However I didn't try the explorer since I don't have it.

1. Boards
  2. AlphaBounce
  3. Questions I need help answering
  • Topic Archived