Installing / Playing Problem (Really need some help)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs
  3. Installing / Playing Problem (Really need some help)

User Info: Matty0289

Matty0289
5 years ago#1
So here's the thing. (Yes, I tried using the Search) I had a Fat PS3 about 7 months ago, that I got when they were still $600 new. I got a brand new Copy of SOCOM 4, and eventually got Platinum Trophy. Then my PS3 got YLOD shortly after FFXIII-2 came out. So, I got a new Slim PS3 about 5 months ago. Recently I've had the feeling of playing SOCOM 4 again. Well, I went to put the game in for the first time on my new PS3 today. It started to Update. Went through once slowly to 100%, went through again faster on 100%, then started "Receiving Updates", and got stuck at 98%. I waited about 5 minutes, assumed it Froze, and tried returning to XMB Menu. It was frozen 100%, so I had to shut Power off.

Turned it back on, and went back to SOCOM 4 again.. It went through to 100% twice (faster than previous), but once again, "Receiving Updates" stopped on 98%. Completely froze, shut off Power, pulled out game, and cleaned the disc. Completely removed the SOCOM Data from my PS3, and watched it slowly Update again, and eventually froze on 98% AGAIN. So I decided to Remove Data, went to PSN Store, Re-Downloaded the Packs that I got the Code for when I got the game, and put SOCOM 4 back in. Watched all Loading, and "Receiving Updates" froze on 98% AGAIN. HELP!?

I go to my Game Section on XMB Menu, look at every Folder, then completely remove SOCOM 4 Data. I triple-checked it, but it still keeps freezing on 98%. Is it because I have my SOCOM 4 Platinum Trophy Data on my PS3? I don't see why that would be the problem though, because Trophies save on Servers, not games.

Can anyone help here? I'd like to play this more because I love the SOCOM Series and this game especially, so I'd rather not just pawn it off to GameStop, because it's being difficult.
Starcraft 2 Character Name- Aqua / Code-140 Playstation3 PSN: Matty0289
Nintendo 3DS "Friend Code"-----> 4596-9586-8808

User Info: You_Need_A_Life

You_Need_A_Life
5 years ago#2
From trial & error, we've learned that deleting the SOCOM 4 Game Data before trying to install the updates greatly increases your chances of being able to successfully install & update the game, but it's not always 100% effective, and it seems that Slim models are far more likely to lock up during the process.

Don't bother downloading anything from the Store until you've successfully installed & updated the game. Just keep trying, deleting the Game Data any time it fails, and hope for the best.

This happened to me as well. Had the game on my old fatty, had to delete Game Data to update, upgraded to a new Slim whose HDD corrupted and had to be reformatted (deleting all of my data in the process) and now I'm currently attempting to reinstall & update the game. Try # 2 for me, after the 1st of 4 updates locked the system up at 87%.

Luck be with you.

User Info: Matty0289

Matty0289
5 years ago#3
You_Need_A_Life posted...
From trial & error, we've learned that deleting the SOCOM 4 Game Data before trying to install the updates greatly increases your chances of being able to successfully install & update the game, but it's not always 100% effective, and it seems that Slim models are far more likely to lock up during the process.

Don't bother downloading anything from the Store until you've successfully installed & updated the game. Just keep trying, deleting the Game Data any time it fails, and hope for the best.

This happened to me as well. Had the game on my old fatty, had to delete Game Data to update, upgraded to a new Slim whose HDD corrupted and had to be reformatted (deleting all of my data in the process) and now I'm currently attempting to reinstall & update the game. Try # 2 for me, after the 1st of 4 updates locked the system up at 87%.

Luck be with you.

Did you get it to work? I read something I was going to try. When I put the game in, it pretty much loaded right up, WITHOUT Updating or Anything.
The bad thing is: I 100% Completely LOST my 100% Platinum Trophy Completion. I noticed that when it gave me a Trophy. I went to look at my Trophy List, and saw it was all gone for SOCOM 4. Talk about 1 sad day..
Starcraft 2 Character Name- Aqua / Code-140 Playstation3 PSN: Matty0289
Nintendo 3DS "Friend Code"-----> 4596-9586-8808

User Info: You_Need_A_Life

You_Need_A_Life
5 years ago#4
Your Trophy data is linked to your PSN account on Sony Servers, not your PS3. The reason your list reset is because you didn't fully install the game, so the Trophies didn't sync properly.

As for me, yes, I got mine to install on the 2nd try.
  1. Boards
  2. SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs
  3. Installing / Playing Problem (Really need some help)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived