• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Black Version
  3. Dumb question, but is there any way to detect if I bought a repo/fake game?

User Info: TerryJ999

TerryJ999
4 months ago#1
I just bought this game from GameStop. Found out they sell fake games. I know about the light trick, but can’t a person bypass that by getting a real cartage and placing a fake Pokémon chip inside?
No man should never bear witness to the crazy s**t I've seen on the internet.

User Info: Queron

Queron
1 month ago#2
TerryJ999 posted...
I just bought this game from GameStop. Found out they sell fake games. I know about the light trick, but can’t a person bypass that by getting a real cartage and placing a fake Pokémon chip inside?
Does the cartridge had signs of tampering?

User Info: ThatOneGirl

ThatOneGirl
2 weeks ago#3

The cartridges for Pokemon Black and White have a special infrared communicator that is used to communicate with other copies of the game and isn't found on regular DS cartridges. Since flash carts and emulators don't have this infrared communicator, the game will check the status of the infrared communicator at various points (notably when leaving the Pokémon screen, either to return to the overworld or check an individual Pokémon's stats) to determine if the game was pirated. If the infrared communicator does not respond, the player's Pokémon will be unable to gain any experience and the game will crash at random points.
Source: tcrf
Basically the games will check at certain points if it’s pirated and if it is, it’ll be impossible to progress because your pokemon won’t gain exp
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Black Version
  3. Dumb question, but is there any way to detect if I bought a repo/fake game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

Where can I find the Running Shoes? Main Quest3 Answers
Passcode in Castelia City? Side Quest2 Answers
Where can I find heart scales? Side Quest5 Answers
How to level up faster? General6 Answers
Where can I find the fishing rods? Side Quest1 Answer