• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Black Version
  3. Is this the hardest pokemon game, or one of the hardest?

User Info: katieelizabeth

katieelizabeth
2 months ago#1
Wow, it seems like either the early pokemon you get beyond your starter are really weak, or the enemy hits like a truck. I'm 4 badges in, and despite exploring as thorough as possible and not running away from battles, most of my team outside of my starter is still on par with the enemy trainers, or they are often a few levels ahead of me.

Not all matches are hard, but some trainers or gym leaders use pokemon that have 500 base stats and no evolutions, so at level 20 or 25, there stats are far better than the crap we have. Some examples of this are Emolga and Sigilyth who basically out-speed your whole team and can even sweep a lot of it.

I'm finding pokemon like blitzle completely unusable - the stats are so low. Every enemy mon can 1 or 2- ohko it, and it barely sweeps anything despite being at the same level or even a little higher sometimes. It has proven to be garbage despite really needing its type for flying and water pokemon this early in the game. Frankly, you're better off over-leveling your starter :/ I hate that honestly.

Blitzle will eventually become good, but it really needs Spark and its evolution. Can't come fast enough.

Generally though, my team feels so weak all the time if I don't use my starter. And for once, trainers have actually repeatedly killed pokemon on my team. I gotta imagine once I get my evolutions, this will start to get better, but this is by far the hardest pokemon game I have ever played. There's actually a real challenge here. Your pokemon can faint pretty easily or do very little damage despite getting super effective. Like the fact that the electric gym uses Emolga - which has way better stats than anything you have on your team due to its final evolution base stats vs your crappy non-evolved pokemon - and the fact that Sandile's Dig move does nothing to them since it can't hit flying is quite mean by the developers lol. This game plays very different from games before and after this one.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Kagero6

Kagero6
2 months ago#2
it wasn’t received very well at first, but like you’re experiencing, the gen 5 games I believe are some of the harder games in the series which is what made them so good. The only game I can remember that was brutally hard was Pokémon colosseum which is a spin-off title. Enjoy the tough but rewarding game!

katieelizabeth
2 months ago#3
Yeah, it's pretty fun. The only thing I don't really like about the game is the very frequent random battles - they do get on my nerves. But, the game does give you a lot more money than previous games did, so there's no reason not use super repels I guess. Other than that, I think it's pretty good. I like that all the pokemon are new.

I'm at Victory Road now, so I've finished quite a bit of the game now. Many of the gyms were fairly hard, although not all of them. Collectively though, I'd say they definitely rank on the harder end of gym battles.

katieelizabeth
2 months ago#4
So I beat the game and I am in the post game. The elite 4 was a reasonable challenge. The ghost and fighting trainers in the elite four had some really tough pokemon - like throh and cofagerous (or however its spelt). But it wasn't too hard, but I did feel like my team was massively underleveled. Despite 2 pokemon above 50, most were around 43-46. There was really no easy way to bring them up to level 48 or 50. I tried with the lucky egg in victory road for a bit, but I just said screw it since it was taking too long. I made do.

In the post game, I find myself a bit upset at GameFreak. I don't understand why the trainers are level 64. Does the game honestly expect me to grind my piece of s*** level 46-50 pokemon for several hours just so I can finish up the last bit of post-game content? I don't mind a challenge, but this is literally a grind wall. Despite a base speed of 70, I almost got wiped out by a level 64 Mantine among other things. Not fun.

I'm actually kind of disappointed how unbalanced the post-game areas are. I just want to get my legendaries - Tornadus, Landorus, and Kyurem - and be call it quits now. I don't need the play time extended - it's an ancient game and most of this post game stuff doesn't matter anymore. Very poorly balanced. I can't believe the game is asking me to grind for 4 hours or risk getting a party wipe at every trainer who apparantly was so bad they couldn't beat the elite 4.... even though with level 64 pokemon I think they could have easily.
(edited 2 months ago)

katieelizabeth
2 months ago#5
So I did everything last night - I just fought the least number of trainers and repel'd my way to get everything. My starter did gain to level 60, but using other pokemon in the low 50's was kind of rough - just using experience share to get them higher when the match-ups mostly favoured Emboar and not my other pokemon.

When I got to the Shrine next to Black City, I was disappointed that I needed both roaming pokemon to spawn Landorus. If I had known that, I would have stopped after I got the 3rd legendary dragon and it would have saved me some time.

I pretty much just transported everything into Pokemon Home and called it a day, as I've experienced the story and got what I wanted out of Black. I'm just going to trade for Landorus - I have a bunch of spare Lugia's and Ho-Oh's - will eventually get it on the GTS. But I have the others though - already got Thunderous and Zekrom from trades earlier since I knew I would not be able to catch them in Pokemon Black. I used my masterball on Tornadus - would have been annoying otherwise. I really did not want to repeat my suffering with Entai and Raikou.

Overall, the game was pretty decent. I really enjoyed the new pokemon. I feel like the story could have been better - there was LOT of missed potential here. I did like the ending though.

The postgame though - I did not like it. I don't see the point to forcing you to hit the pokemon center after every trainer battle because your pokemon are so massively underleveled - it just got annoying. And the funny thing is, nobody got to level 64 by battling a lot of them, which means the game expected massive Audino grinding or something - not a fan of that design at all. I give the post game an F while I give the main game an A-. Introducing all the old pokemon into the game in the post-game actually made it worse. It was a lot better when it was doing it's own thing. Just my opinion.

Glad I played it. I just have to play Platinum now and I will have played all the generations.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Black Version
  3. Is this the hardest pokemon game, or one of the hardest?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A