• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Viper45

Viper45
9 years ago#1
I know the game just came out, but a few people seem to already have the retail boxed version. Have any of you checked if it has Securom?

An easy way to check for it is to right click on the .exe for the game (if there are multiple exe's, check all of them). If any one of them has an option in the right click menu that says "Launch Analysis", the game uses Securom.

User Info: Milkshakes0

Milkshakes0
9 years ago#2
It uses Securom.

User Info: PsychoRaven

PsychoRaven
9 years ago#3
Well that makes me glad I switched my preorder. I refuse to buy any PC game with Securom's DRM in it.

I just had a feeling that there had to be some reasons for the PC version getting zero press at all.

User Info: Stinger911

Stinger911
9 years ago#4
Steam version might not use it since Steam is DRM in itself. We'll see.
"but anyway, its not the size of the stick, its the magic in the wand."- exeuntsl

Viper45
9 years ago#5
Thanks for the quick response Milkshakes0. And yeah, if anyone gets the Steam version, can you do the same check?

User Info: Protoman_V3

Protoman_V3
9 years ago#6
I'm kind of noobish, but what's so bad about Securom?

User Info: Sardaukar138

Sardaukar138
9 years ago#7
Nothing. People just like to freak out about it, equating it with the likes of Starforce while it rarely if ever does anything more than manage install authentications and CD keys these days. But I'm sure a pack of people will come flame me and cite lots infringements on their rights as an owner.
You've got to admire a society that can make more cheese, cheaper, by convincing people it's supposed to have holes. - Unknown

Viper45
9 years ago#8
People hate Securom because it installs itself onto your computer without your permission or knowledge, often comes with limits on how many times you're allowed to install your game, and stays on your system even after you uninstall the game it came with. On top of that, it's a major pain to get rid of it, as the official Securom remover tool doesn't entirely remove it from your system.

Basically, it's a nuisance for people who like to be in control of their computer and the software that's on it. Most people who don't know about it never will, unless they reach the install limit and it instructs them to purchase a new copy of the game if they wish to continue playing it. Additionally, all software is prone to having bugs, and Securom is no different. A handful of people have had Securom malfunction right out of the box, which in turn doesn't allow them to play the game that they just paid for.

User Info: Sardaukar138

Sardaukar138
9 years ago#9
The problem with those complaints is that, as far as I know, going back many years, the majority of SecuROM games either come with a simple authentication revoker utility- I've used a few in the past when doing maintenance- or, as is generally the case now, the game automatically returns an authentication license as part of the uninstall process. The only situation in which you could possibly unintentionally lose all of your licenses would be to suffer repeated catastrophic system failure, costing you hundreds or thousands of dollars and indicating that PC operation is not for you. And even in that situation, I've had a peer recover their license after emailing support and providing proof of purchase.

Moving along, the people who feel infringed upon don't know much about their own software; Your very operating system is more strictly licensed than a SecuROM game. Most of the music you buy legally, with or without DRM, is legally sublicensed. Just about anything media related that you have purchased in the last twenty years was, most likely, licensed, not owned. And much of it was much harder to replace than a game using SecuROM instead of disc checks and losable CD-keys. SecuROM was not perfect in its infancy, but even then it was much more user friendly than the then-dominant DRM, Starforce, and has only gotten more amiable since that time. It is, for the most part, semantics. Ownership as a legally binding word and as a concept are very different things, and for the most part the status quo of licensing fits in with the concept.

To say it more passionately, most people just cry foul about SecuROM so they don't feel bad when they steal the game.
You've got to admire a society that can make more cheese, cheaper, by convincing people it's supposed to have holes. - Unknown

User Info: Charliesix

Charliesix
9 years ago#10
So does SecuROM make it very difficult to resell the game? I want to get back into PC gaming due to superior graphics, but at the same time, it seems few games let you resell anything with ease (due to one-time use CD keys and such).
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A