• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls
  3. Wait, the EU side is getting a disc version?

User Info: geelw

geelw
10 years ago#11
The UK has had a ton of cool budget-priced PSOne and PS2 releases through some smart publishers (Global Star, Midas Interactive and others I can't recall the names of off the top of my head). For a number of reasons (such as publishers here ignoring many of these games in favor of moving on to PS3 titles as quickly as possible a few years back) we here in the states missed out on a lot of fun, inexpensive games formerly available only in Japan.

Like a few others here, I'll definitely be keeping an eye peeled for Wizardry when it ships out overseas (just in case Xseed passes on a retail release). I have the feeling that this will be one of those titles that shoots up in price as a disc release as smaller publishers like GS don't normally do multiple pressings. We shall see, however...
"Listen to a fat man when he tells you what to eat!" - Joe Tuna

geelw
10 years ago#12
Update: After sending a link to a few articles I'd posted, I got a short note from Xseed about the game... but I'm waiting for a response from them about quoting part of it here and on my blog. In a nutshell: there won't be a retail release at this time, but if the game does really well, they'll look into the possibility of producing the two-pack as a retail follow up.

That's what happened in Japan, so it looks like it needs to happen here as well.

In plain English: this game NEEDS to sell better than even Xseed is thinking it will, period. If you have a PSN account, BUY IT and tell anyone else who has an account (and an interest in RPG's) to do so as well (you'll of course, give them a reason why they'll like Wizardry, right?). If you don't have a PSN account (or broadband, for that matter) and you live near someone who does, well... go make a new friend, I guess.

User Info: Blk_Mage_Ctype

Blk_Mage_Ctype
10 years ago#13
^That sounds alright, but if the game costs more than $15 than I'm afraid my answer is no.

The highest amount of money I'm willing to pay for a DD game is $15. I refuse to pay over $15 for something that I cannot hold in my hands, have no legal rights to, and don't even technically own.

The whole concept of paying to license something digital is absurd to me, and I have a hard enough time spending a single cent on such things. If I'm going to pay for something, then I want to legally own it, not just license it. For short little $5-$15 PSN games I don't mind too much, but I'm not paying over $15 to license a game.
I imagine Bethesda's Quality Testing Department a big, dusty room filled with cobwebs, and a chimp wearing a Fez banging on the keyboard of a single computer...

geelw
10 years ago#14
Clyde, i couldn't agree with you more. However, it's a total pickle the game industry has put people like us into and I don't want Xseed to suffer because of this silly idea that's become too widely accepted that not owning a game outright means it's more "convenient" for every gamer. Or worse, that physical copies are "clumsy" or "hard to store" or "useless" whatever other junk excuses I've read over the years from so-called analysts.

I have over 2000 games here and yes, I want to own physical retail versions of every game I'm interested in (with the exception of the dozens of cool indie games I have on external drives that were never released as boxed product). Ever since dlc was introduced, I've been against the idea of shutting out a user base whose money is as good as anyone's and that holds true to this day. Thankfully, some companies repackage content as Game of the Year editions I'm more than willing to wait for and there have been UMD compilations of PSN-pnly PSP titles released in the UK after the games were hits as online only purchases.

Unfortunately, this stance I have doesn't always help smaller companies that yes, need people to accept the lousy part of this enforced evolution dlc brings to the table.

I think Xseed will be releasing this at a fair price, so as many people as possible should indeed pick it up. I'm still against it, but I'll buy it to support Xseed (as again, they don't make a cent on sales of the UK version and those sales don't count as part of their figures when it comes time to decide on the follow up)

I just got the OK to run the response from Xseed, so here you go:

Hi Greg,

Good to hear from you, and please excuse the late reply as things have been pretty busy with the launch of Tales in the Sky

Didn't see this article of yours before our Wizardry announcement, how funny. Unfortunately, we have no plans to release it on disc right now so no use holding a survey just yet, but perhaps we can consider something similar to Japan where the first one did so well as a digital game that they released it and its sequel together on one retail package later (of course that means sales here will have to be above expectations too for us to consider this).

Thanks for posting the news, glad you liked our announcement.

geelw
10 years ago#15
Heh.. Mistake time, board of corrections (and a FUNNY one, at that) - I had to write out what SHOULD have been TRAILS in the Sky because the original email has it as an acronym that's a banned one here (you'll figure it out)...

g.

User Info: TiamatNM

TiamatNM
10 years ago#16
I would prefer a disk as well but this seems to be the way things go these days. My two favorite ps3 games are download only -_-

I wonder what the price will be...I'm having trouble thinking of any RPG type games that are download only (other than ps1 classics) for a price comparison...

geelw
10 years ago#17
Well, google Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment, Torchlight and Epic Dungeon for starters. I don't think Wizardry is going to be more expensive than either of those, but it won't be as inexpensive as ED was either...

User Info: Themadcow1

Themadcow1
10 years ago#18
This is absolutely one of those instances where any negative feelings about DDL should be put aside for the 'greater good' - which in this instance is the localisation of more Japanese language RPG's and specifically Wizardry. I'm sure we'd all like a physical copy but production costs = less profits per sale, and it's profits that will drive further localisations.

Suck it up and save the protests for the next time a mainstream publisher tries to screw you over.
  1. Boards
  2. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls
  3. Wait, the EU side is getting a disc version?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A