• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Batman: Arkham City
  3. Already stuck less than an hour in. Is the whole game like this?

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
1 month ago#1
So, I've reached this place where there is a steam pipe with 3 switches I have to activate at the same time with either the batarang or the batclaw, but both options are too slow. By the time the batarang is coming back from the second switch hit, the first switch is already red again, so there's no way to hit the 3rd one while the 1st and 2nd are still green. The batclaw is even slower.

Yes, I am aware that FAQs exist, and I could probably look up the answer to this dumb puzzle. However, I'm not someone who will bother with a game that has me running to the internet constantly because the puzzles are too cryptic for me to figure out. (This was my main criticism of the first Uncharted game...dumb puzzles that are not at all logical to figure out getting in the way of the fun parts of the game.)

So, I have to ask, how many more stupid puzzles like this are in this game? If it's going to be like this the whole way through, I'll just sell it and save myself the annoyance. I am not a hardcore Batman fan, I just got this to see what all the fuss was about since the ratings were sky high.
Less is more.
(edited 1 month ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: Frankmaster1

Frankmaster1
1 month ago#3
I apologize for my previous post. I may have gotten another game with a similar control scheme confused with this one.

Instead of holding L1 and pressing R1 to manually hit the pipes, you quickfire by tapping L1 three times.

Nicodimus
1 month ago#4
Frankmaster1 posted...
I apologize for my previous post. I may have gotten another game with a similar control scheme confused with this one.

Instead of holding L1 and pressing R1 to manually hit the pipes, you quickfire by tapping L1 three times.

Thank you. As long as things like that aren't happening constantly, I'll deal with it.

I still don't know how I was supposed to figure that out in-game. I have to imagine that plenty of people got snagged there as well.
Less is more.

User Info: Frankmaster1

Frankmaster1
1 month ago#5
Do you have hints on? There are some unexpected things like this that are pretty much only explained through pop-up hints.

The rest of the game only has odd puzzles like this in the last two levels/buildings, but more navigation than puzzle. Stuff like the steam puzzle only really occurs from now on if you choose to pursue the Riddler challenges.

User Info: face235

face235
1 month ago#6
You can go into the menu and check Batman's moves. It's the same menu that you access whenever you level up. A lot of Batman's gadgets now have Quickfire options and their own dedicated buttons.

Example:
Quickfire Explosive Gel
L1+Square

It won't blow up walls, but can blow up floors.

And remember to think, "How would Batman solve this?" There are plenty of puzzles in the game, but none are undoable. Sometimes you may have to come back later to snag a trophy or something.
The Midnight Black Mage
Face Loran

Nicodimus
1 month ago#7
I'm not sure about the hints. I'll have to check on that. Thanks, everybody.
Less is more.

User Info: face235

face235
1 month ago#8
Some of the Riddler hints are really well hidden, but interrogating informants will make them a little easier to find. It'll show you the location on the map, but you still have to do the work of getting there.
The Midnight Black Mage
Face Loran

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
1 month ago#9
So, I've reached this place where there is a steam pipe with 3 switches I have to activate at the same time with either the batarang or the batclaw,

There's a bunch of riddles that you need upgrades to get. That seems to describe one of those that needs the triple-batarang upgrade to hit all three buttons at once. You may have to come back. Also, be aware that sticky bombs can also activate switches...you may be able to paint them and then blow them all at once. Try out stuff.

However, I'm not someone who will bother with a game that has me running to the internet constantly because the puzzles are too cryptic for me to figure out.

There may be a few that still stump you but, if you can't figure one out, just come back to it later with more upgrades and see if they make a difference.

Some puzzles just may not be intuitive. Like if you see some buttons, you have to hit all of the buttons without touching any other part of the wall or ground. You can do these with basically just the grapple and the upgrade to shoot yourself into the air and then land onto the next button (or kick off it, if the button is on a wall). The game doesn't explain these very well but that's basically always the button gimmick and you can get most of them early on. Some require some tricky manuevering, though.

(This was my main criticism of the first Uncharted game...dumb puzzles that are not at all logical to figure out getting in the way of the fun parts of the game.)

What? Infamous "puzzles" were barely even that since it was just you pulling switches and all the answers were in Drake's notebook anyway. Were tossed in there as a change of pace from all the constant running and shooting.
Just about to play this for the first time - I'll chime in soon
PSN:fatallightning
  1. Boards
  2. Batman: Arkham City
  3. Already stuck less than an hour in. Is the whole game like this?
  • Post New Message