You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Batman: Arkham City
  3. What do you want to see in the next game?

User Info: slaterastle

slaterastle
4 weeks ago#441
I dont love Baby Driver. It's a cool movie and the actors are great, but why the junk did Kevin Spacey help Baby when Baby destroyed his entire operation and he's a ruthless mob-boss guy? Makes no sense, crumbles the plot, dumb. I like Jamie Fox tho, I should watch Django Unchained. It's the same director as Scott Pilgrim and I see the similarities and the movies are cool but it feels like he forces happy endings when he should either find a more logical way to get there. It's like he makes movies for kids or something and he does a good job with a distinct style but he could be way better.

Soeaking of things that could be better, I beat Donkey Kong Jungle Beat recently, and yes it's the GC version with the Bongos. Every level in that game is fantastic, but the repeated bosses is the worst. I was honestly totally fine with it until I discovered the final boss is a repeated boss also, that was when I became quite disappointed. Still a great fun game but man does that bother me.

Ive also watched A Raisin in the Sun, Zoot Suit, and Dutchman because I had to onow about them for a test. Dutchman is my favorite of the three but the other 2 are cool too I guess. I also read The Conduct of Life which is a dark episodic tale. Finally, I sas the musical Cabaret at my school and I really liked it actually, not so much for the music but for the tragic slow burning story. I didnt see it going that way so it caught me by surprise and I'm glad it did.

Not a whole lot to report otherwise, the last 3 days in a row have been 12 hour days and I havebt been super free today either. Next month will be easy in comparison halelujiah. Ive been slightly depressed but I'm used to it so whatever lol. Hopefully Ennopp gets a record soon but it'll probably take a while. Dunkey's review on DMC5 was surprising, not that he's amazing but I would have expected the game to be trash like Soul Calibur 5. I mean idk if I'll play it but yeah, I've been way into Gamecube games and could possibly be happy only playing them forever. Of course there's good stuff I'd miss out on so I wont but it's gotta be my favorite system. Silksong and Bloodstained will be great, you still gotta play Hollow Knight lol.

Oh yeah I beat Star Fox Assault on the Gold difficulty before Jungle Beat, it was fun dying quickly and needing skill to win. I really like that game, yeah 2 of the levels are worse and yeah it could have been more but for what it is it's pretty dang fun. The levels all feel different and I like that a lot, and all 4 playstyles are fun to do so it's a good time. I didnt get the Gold Medals but I may now that I'm better at the game sometime. Plus I actually like the story a lot, and the character animations put Life is Strange to shame lol. Too bad it didnt get more credit, there hasnt been a better Star Fox since and it's a great sequel to 64 even if it's linear, at least the 10 stages are long with multiple segments.

I also started Pitfall Lost Expedition. It's not a very good game but at least it's fun haha. I dont hate Guacamelee btw, it's still fun even if it's not as good as Hollow Knight lol. Finally, Ive started watching The Amazing World of Gumball. I know, people do not like that show but there are episodes that are undeniably unique and funny. Yeah some of them suck but you gotta find the ones that rule somehow lol. I cant say I reccommend watching every episode in order like me, but I can say if I see an episode on TV I usually have a good time. I like how it has it's own style and lots of characters are animated in different ways and they're all antagonists at one point or another. My favorite episode so far is called The Spinoffs, idk it's my sense of humor I guess haha.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
4 weeks ago#442
Plus I think the fighting is just sort of a placeholder, and there isn't really enough time in the story for them to have a long, super creative fist fight so the movie is how it is.

I would agree with this but that's kind of why I thought the fight scenes were lame. I preferred it more in Dark Knight where there really wasn't any big physical fights and the best action was stuff like the car chase scenes. Rises tried multiple fights and one was just Bane squashing Bats while giving a speech and the big brawl at the end just did little for me.

And you gotta love the destroyed train track, the exploding train, and how Batman ditched Ras flying out backwards like that.

Agreed. The ending was well done. It's not a bad movie but I wouldn't put it in the pantheon of anything either. I definitely think the first two Burton Batmans were better. Heck, I even have a soft spot for Batman Forever...Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey aren't very true to the characters but they crack me up.

Speaking of, I watched Lego Movie 2 while in Florida with my brother. Was pretty similar to the first with lots of wacky characters and it movie gets going pretty fast and didn't drag too long. I'd still say the first one was better and had more laughs.

and the cops do go after him until Bane reads Gordon's letter, revealing to the world that Harvey Dent actually killed all those people to put mob rule into people's minds, but the consequence Bane didnt expect was clearing Batman's name.

That's fine but, once the city was under Bane's rule, it didn't matter if folks trusted Bats or not. Him being wanted by the cops still had absolutely no effect on the plot of Rises so it was kind of pointless to have it as some big moment in DK.

On top of that, the cops are all trapped in that tunnel until Batman lets them out,

Ug, don't get me started on how stupid that arc is. An ENTIRE police force barges underground? The bad guys still send them food? The Feds barely do anything but send in a few secret agents who are easily killed? Even worse, the Feds clearly see people being put to death by drowning and yet still threaten the lives of everyone who tries to escape by bridge? Gordon and a group of like five dudes are the only cops left? That was one of the many stretches that I just couldn't quite handle...that and the fact that they rigged every bridge in the city to explode and somehow no one noticed. Joker doing this to a hospital and multiple cruise ships in Dark Knight was shaky enough but that was even worse. Talia remaining undercover even after Bats was taken out was also completely pointless. I can accept a few shaky premises but Rises is loaded with eye-rolling moments.

I see Riddler and Joker as related because The Riddler would have been in addition to the Joker and possibly the League of Shadows

I still don't get it. Joker and Riddler have nothing to do with the League of Shadows or each other. Riddler would see himself as above them all and Joker would just make fun of them. And having all three of those involved in one movie would be a mess like Spider Man 3. You'd just want Depp doing his thing as Riddler and nothing else. Joker didn't need any side villains to help out in Dark Knight.

The back got healed by when the guy hit him as he was dangling from that thing until he coyld stand remember?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't heal a broken back by a guy punching it.

Plus he was in there for like 6 months or something so there was time for it to heal.

A broken back doesn't heal on it's own when you're in a dirty prison with little to no medical care. And, even if it did, he'd maybe be healed up enough to walk...and definitely not enough to climb out of a hole or doing anything strenuous as Batman.

Hotel_Security
4 weeks ago#443
I'd like to watch that with better sound, that sound bothers the crap out of me.

What's wrong with the sound? It's just some guy announcing. That's about the best quality video you're going to get since some dude remastered a lot of it.

and the next day I'm getting paid to be in an opera.

That's pretty sweet. It's only $50 but it's nice to see all that practice leading to being able to entertain people.

Switching characters would be annoying if the storylines werent separate experiences imo. Plus one super long adventure could get tedious after a while.

It's just me but I'd prefer the one large adventure with Sora. That's the character I like the most. The rest are just there to support him anyway. These series always go downhill when we start focusing too much on side characters.

And it sucks Disney has some control over KH, it should have the power to be whatever it wants.

The price of doing business with Disney. They call all the shots. Besides, the series wouldn't have been nearly as big as it was without the Disney influence so Square has benefited from the relationship as well.

Glad 0.2 is fun, still hoping to buy it for 20 dollars max someday.

The whole 2.8 collection will be close to that price eventually, I'd think. But I wouldn't say 0.2 on its own is worth $20 since it's really mostly a demo. I only got the collection to play Dream Drop Distance as well.

Guacamelee's boss count is abysmal and it's got forced linearity which I also dont like.

Boss count? I think there's like four or five legit fights which seems pretty standard to me. About as many as Super Metroid.

I've played Shadow Complex a little, I'll have to finish it sometime.

I can see it wearing on someone for a while since there's not a lot of enemy variety but they vary the environments pretty well. I found it to be a grind at first but that's because I died a lot on the hardest mode.

Congrats on MMX no E Tanks, I havent done that yet but I will eventually haha.

I finished MMX2 yesterday and am starting X3 today...X2 is certainly much easier that X1, though that's probably describing most of the series. During the vacation, I fired up Wario: Master of Disguise which is an old DS game that I'd played before which I just picked up to pass the time. It's got 10 large levels with lots of secrets and chests to find which is the biggest allure of the game. Wario himself gets a ton of powers (disguises) that can be used to traverse the levels. The timing worked nicely as I beat the game right as I was coming home though I skipped the tedious minigames that I needed for 100% since I did them already on another save.

Still havent played Azure Striker Gunvolt and I know those are good,

I planned on playing the sequel over vacation but, since I was already playing Mega Man games, I figured I'd play something else.

Hotel_Security
4 weeks ago#444
but why the junk did Kevin Spacey help Baby when Baby destroyed his entire operation and he's a ruthless mob-boss guy? Makes no sense, crumbles the plot, dumb.

For one, I find it a little strange to criticize Baby Driver over the plot. It's an action movie and the plot serves to get us from one action scene and that's all there is to it. I think an action movie is like an action-based video game a little bit...the plot is kind of secondary to the rest of it.

With that said, I agree that Spacey's turn at the end felt pretty flimsy, especially when he was threatening Baby's life and the life of his friends earlier in the film. As for the operation, I'm not entire sure if Spacey knew that Baby had purposely sabotaged it...it's possible that all he knew was that the car had crashed and everyone had to escape on foot. Even then, Spacey still isn't going to help until he sees Baby with his girlfriend...then he changes his mind and says "I loved someone once" as his reason for it. I think we're to assume that he's a romantic deep down but it's still pretty flimsy, I agree.

I like Jamie Fox tho, I should watch Django Unchained.

Definitely. Him and Christoph Waltz are fantastic. Waltz is even better in Inglorious Bastards. Such great tension in that one.

It's the same director as Scott Pilgrim and I see the similarities and the movies are cool but it feels like he forces happy endings when he should

I felt the opposite with Baby Driver. The movie was so unrealistic for most of it (which is fine) that it almost felt out-of-place that Baby is still arrested after they make their escape. It felt like they needed to add realism by having Baby serve time in jail but I felt this was pointless given that the entire movie is unrealistic. But that's just a minor gripe as the ending was still fine since he still gets out. As for the Director, I didn't like Shawn of the Dead but I loved Pilgrim and Baby Driver so I like where his movies are going. I'll be pretty interested in his next one. There's not a lot of guys that can make fun action anymore.

I beat Donkey Kong Jungle Beat recently, and yes it's the GC version with the Bongos.

Wow, I remember that one. Never played it as it seemed a bit too gimmicky. Nice to see it's well designed.

And, wow, nice that you're seeing all these old-style plays. I haven't seen any of those but I've never gotten into a lot of them.

Dunkey's review on DMC5 was surprising, not that he's amazing but I would have expected the game to be trash like Soul Calibur 5.

I'd expect it to be better than that DmC fiasco since it's back to the developers who made DMC4. I'm not big on the series anymore but I'm sure they'll be better.

I mean idk if I'll play it but yeah, I've been way into Gamecube games and could possibly be happy only playing them forever.

My only Gamecube gripe was that I only got like 7/8 games for it since it didn't last that long. But those games are some of my all-time favorites like Windwaker, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1/2 and Thousand Year Door.

Hotel_Security
4 weeks ago#445
Silksong and Bloodstained will be great, you still gotta play Hollow Knight lol.

Didn't even know Hollow Knight was getting a sequel. Great news. And, yeah, I know I need to get to it...I've got a lot of Metroid clones to get through (Shadow Complex as the latest) so I'm trying to space them out. I'm trying to hit the older ones first but I may have to cheat with Hollow Knight.

Another neat release is the latest Shovel Knight expansion is coming sometime in April. It's free so we'll all get it. It's taken much longer for them to put out this one so I'm hoping there will be a lot of cool changes. I loved how they changed the attack patterns of all the bosses with the Spector Knight expansion. I guess there's also a fighting game expansion coming with it as well though we'll see if that's worth it.

Too bad it didnt get more credit, there hasnt been a better Star Fox since and it's a great sequel to 64 even if it's linear, at least the 10 stages are long with multiple segments.

I haven't played any Star Fox but didn't Assault have a shift in the style?...like with more 3rd-person shooting or something? I wonder if that turned some folks off.

I dont hate Guacamelee btw, it's still fun even if it's not as good as Hollow Knight lol.

I hear you there. Part of what I like with that genre is there's different styles. Some have big environments to check out and some have tons of bosses and some have less combat focus. So it's all about the style you like. Though I thought Guacamelee had a good mix of everything...some platforming, some fighting, etc.

Finally, Ive started watching The Amazing World of Gumball. I know, people do not like that show but there are episodes that are undeniably unique and funny.

I'd never heard of it but I saw a few clips and it seems cool.

slaterastle
1 week ago#446
I see where you're coming from, the fighting definitely could have been better. I wouldnt have thought of that on my own either so thanks for sharin man. Guess it just doesnt bother me as much but to each his own. And if you like Burton more that's cool too, I find Ledger's Joker to be lightyears ahead of Nicholson's but there's followings on both sides and they're very different and both put Suicide Squad to shame haha. I havent seen Batman Forever but I like Jim Carrey so I'm sure it's fun regardless of it's quality lol.

Glad you liked Lego Movie 2. It doesnt seem up my alley but I liked the first one decently so maybe.

So you think Batman has to be chased down by the cops for all of Datk Knight Rises, or it being the ending of Dark Knight is meaningless? I disagree, I think it had it's place in the universe that came and went.

I thought the families were giving them food secretly and a lot of the cops who survived simply quit once released. The rest is to keep the bomb trigger safe, if the bad guys lose the bomb trigger they lose everything. And yeah, how exactly these explosions are set up unnoticed is a mystery but I'm fine not knowing that and taking it as part of the power of the villains.

A Riddler only movie would have been cool. I would have liked to see what happened to the Joker but he wouldnt have to be a big character like in Dark Knight or anything. It'd be cool to ask Chris what happened there.

I mean Batman's a strong dude with super determination and the cave man had a magic punch that worked and it is what it is. Fiction doesnt have to make real world sense as long as it follows its own rules and characters actions follow their motives and who they are. Sure the movies take themselves seriously, but they're action movies first and foremost. The fact they're as high of quality as they are hasnt been done by other super hero movies imo.

Dude I dont hear voices, it's just like a high cutting out whistling sound that drives me crazy when I try watchin it.

Yeah but Super Metroid is a smaller game. There's a boss per world whereas in Guacamelee there are multiple worlds with no boss and it's sad.

I have Wario Master of Disguise somewhere, played a little and it looked cooler than I thought it was based on that but Im glad you enjoyed revisiting it. X3 is the only X besides 7 I havent beaten and that's only because I didnt think it was as fun as the others when I played it for some reason idk.

Even without that knowledge, Baby still failed him. What's more nuts than Kevins flip is the fact Baby thinks he'll help him. That whole bit could have been done more cleanly, I mean he's supposed to be the main antagonist but then it all goes sideways.

With Jungle Beat, it's like the game knows you arent going to be super good at it, so it only makes you be good to get the secret platinum medals not required to beat the game. And it's very satisfying when you see the possibility of a big combo and pull it off. The later levels are more complex, so getting platinums in those is much easier than in the earlier levels where I sometimes only got silver which is bad.

I'm Megaman Network Transmission at the moment. It's stupid hard, everything does a lot of damage and some boss attacks are undodgable without certain chips but it's a fun time. We'll see if I finally finish it lol. There's a ton of GC games I want to play, hopefully I'll get to them all in my life.

I beat Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg since I last wrote. There's a lot of bullcrap in it but I had a lot of fun and there's some hard stuff in it. I mean it's not the best designed or anything but it is worth the time. I did every mission but I didnt get all S ranks or all the collectibles, I'll leave that to you haha.

I also beat Pitfall The Lost Expedition. That game is pretty bad, but it's also pretty fun so it's fine haha. The map is like nearly worthless and the controls are wonky but it's ok.

slaterastle
1 week ago#447
Hollow Knight may be the highest quality steam game I've played. I think I like Undertale and Lisa more and Hyper Light Drifter and Portal are up there with it but I cant argue against it and that's saying something.

I wouldnt say it was a change in style other than the fact there's only one path through the game when that isnt normally the case. It's just in addition to the auto scrolling Arwing levels everyone loves, there are levels where you run around and blow stuff up in a 3D contained space on foot with lots of different guns to collect, and you can jump into Arwings and Landmasters and use them in the space too. There are also 2 segments where you stand on someone elses ship and look all around shooting everything with a rapid fire cannon. As far as the levels that are there are concerned, it feels like a gameplay expansion raher than a change. It'd be cool if there were more levels with multiple endings and you could go through them all in different orders like in the other games, and with that if there were more levels like in the other games, but the 10 levels that are here are mostly great and long as I said so it's not a super shortage of content or anything.

I hear you there, not every metroidvania can be Hollow Knight haha. And with Gumball I guess it just depends, I go long periods thinking it's stupid and then I'll see a streak of hilarious episodes that're great so it's hit and miss for sure but at least there's hits in there. Im waiting for the bad episodes to go away forever but we'll have to see if that ever happens.

I havent watched Game of Thrones yet, idk when I will honestly if my way of viewing it doesnt work which I'll have to check on. It's fine tho, I'd rather wait to watch it and I think with the hollywood in control aspect I'll be able to. I may watch The Walking Dead up until Rick leaves and call it good there, that sounds interesting but we'll have to see.

My mental state hasnt been the best lately but I'm pushin through. I performed in Dialogue of the Carmelites at my school so that made me pretty busy even though my part was tiny. Now I gotta perfect Lenski's Aria aw yeah haha. I also have a test tomorrow and a paper due thursday but you've been waiting way too long so I figured I'd write you now that I have a little time to breathe lol. It'd be cool if school were done but oh well, the semester has felt really long tbh haha. It was goin fast but then the last 2 weeks felt like a century with rehearsals over spring break and such. We'll see what happens, I'm eating Chinese food at the moment so that's good lol.
(edited 1 week ago)
I see where you're coming from, the fighting definitely could have been better. I wouldnt have thought of that on my own either so thanks for sharin man. Guess it just doesnt bother me as much but to each his own.

It doesn't bother me that much either since Batman has never been about epic battles...in most cases, Batman would destroy most of the villains in his comics...it's probably why I don't mind the Arkham games not having many bossfights...it's just never been a big part of his narrative. There's only a few villains who can hang with him which is probably why Bane gets overused so often in games.

I find Ledger's Joker to be lightyears ahead of Nicholson's but there's followings on both sides

I'm not sure about "light years" but it's just two different styles. Nicholson's is a goofier style but more of a gangster while Ledger's is more of a loose cannon with unclear motives. I think both bring something different. Though it was very unusual seeing a serious badass actor like Nicholson doing a goofy character like the Joker.

and they're very different and both put Suicide Squad to shame haha.

I actually saw most of this movie recently (it's awful) and Leto's Joker was just weird...and he was really only in a couple scenes and didn't get to do too much in them. Felt like he was maybe trying too hard since he only got a couple scenes. On that note, I'm very intrigued in the new Joker movie with Joaquim Phoenix.

I havent seen Batman Forever but I like Jim Carrey so I'm sure it's fun regardless of it's quality lol.

It's a campy and silly movie at times but Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones are both so fun to watch that they make the movie for me. Though, don't ever try watching Batman & Robin...easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

So you think Batman has to be chased down by the cops for all of Datk Knight Rises, or it being the ending of Dark Knight is meaningless?

Not that it was meaningless...just that they didn't do much with it for the sequel. It still had meaning in the context of the Dark Knight movie.

I thought the families were giving them food secretly and a lot of the cops who survived simply quit once released.

No, it's Bane's people giving them food...I think it's some "poetic justice" thing where it's the cops who now have to beg for food rather than Bane's own people. It's really a silly arc. It's also made sillier by the fact that they're down there for weeks and yet are perfectly fine and ready to get into a street brawl right after they get out. In a real situation, they'd be very weak and unhealthy and wouldn't be fighting anybody.

Fiction doesnt have to make real world sense as long as it follows its own rules and characters actions follow their motives and who they are.

I agree to this to an extent but the Nolan movies really do try to act like it's in a realistic world...so it's weird seeing a mix of fantasy elements thrown in.

it's just like a high cutting out whistling sound that drives me crazy when I try watchin it.

Is that the crowd? They're quite loud throughout the fight. Turn down the treble, maybe?...

There's a boss per world whereas in Guacamelee there are multiple worlds with no boss and it's sad.

I'm okay with not every level having a boss. They had enough...plus they kind of established all the boss villains nicely via cutscenes so there's good buildup to them.
X3 is the only X besides 7 I havent beaten and that's only because I didnt think it was as fun as the others when I played it for some reason idk.

X3 is not bad but it's a bit lower on the rankings for me...but it's better than X2.

It's funny since I just finished MMX7 on the Legacy Collection and, yes, it's about as bad as I remember. The 3D sections are awful and the 2D sections are often not much better...the mechanics feel stiff and slow for all the characters. Strangely, I still played it three times to max out stats on all three characters. I'm onto X8 now which should be the last game in the Collection...I remember really liking this one though it has a few small flaws. They do a good job of establishing Axl as his own character. On the bright side, X6 reminded me of how good it is...it's one of the few games where the levels are much harder than the bosses and they have multiple paths and secrets in every one.

Even without that knowledge, Baby still failed him. What's more nuts than Kevins flip is the fact Baby thinks he'll help him.

Agreed, it's a bit of a flimsy turn. But, then again, Spacey is dead soon after that so it's not like it mattered.

I'm Megaman Network Transmission at the moment. It's stupid hard, everything does a lot of damage and some boss attacks are undodgable without certain chips but it's a fun time. We'll see if I finally finish it lol.

I skipped that one since I assumed it was like all the other Battle Network games...judging from clips it seems to be more action-oriented but it looks a bit more lackluster than the normal MM titles. Plus I've never been that big into the idea of Mega Man as some sort of computer program but, whatever, it's not like the plot matters. I tried the first Battle Network game and it was an average RPG but didn't get me excited enough to play more of them.

I beat Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg since I last wrote.

Never heard of this one. I looked at a clip and it looks like Katamari Damacy where you're rolling something around the entire time but Billy looks like it has some platforming and other elements to make it deeper than that. I remember renting Katamari after hearing all the hype and was surprised that the entire game is just you rolling over things...plus it has these dual-analog controls which just weren't very good. I did a few levels, got bored, and took it back.

Hollow Knight may be the highest quality steam game I've played.

Still need to get to that. I see the sequel has also not been announced for PS4 which is weird since they did the same with the first game.

I think I like Undertale and Lisa more and Hyper Light Drifter and Portal are up there with it but I cant argue against it and that's saying something.

I played HLD on PS4 and have Hollow Knight on PS4 as well...so those don't feel like "Steam Games" to me. I downloaded Portal and Undertale right directly to my PC and skipped Steam for that too, lol.

I havent watched Game of Thrones yet, idk when I will honestly if my way of viewing it doesnt work which I'll have to check on.

You may want to avoid starting it for the next month since there's only four weeks left in the show. The internet is going to be flooded with spoilers during the next month. If you learn the names of the characters then all the spoilers will have meaning for you...but if you don't know who anyone is then the spoilers will have no meaning and you'll easily forget them.

It's fine tho, I'd rather wait to watch it and I think with the hollywood in control aspect I'll be able to.

Hard to say. HBO is very protective of the show and really only wants the show available on their platforms...it may be a while before they let other streamers have it. For me, I don't have HBO so I just have to hit a torrent and download it after every episode...but thankfully they put these shows up 5 to 10 minutes after the show ends so I can usually get it downloaded 20/30 minutes after that.
  1. Boards
  2. Batman: Arkham City
  3. What do you want to see in the next game?